Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Self-leveling particle board subfoor

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

My flooring contractor came over recently to inspect my subfloor prior to installation of bamboo floating boards. He used a 3m metal rule to demonstrate that my subfloor is uneven in places, and indicated that he would like to use some sort of self-leveling material to even it out. I've seen this done on cement floors before, but not on particle board. The contractor said the material that he will use is different (and several times more expensive, of course) than what he would normally use on cement.

Has any ever used, or heard of a self leveling material being used on particle board subfloor? I'm sure it's all totally normal and my contractor seems very knowledgeable and professional - but I'd thought I'd run it by the wisdom of the forum before I progress!

I'm guessing that the material he will use will need to have different adhesive properties so it sticks to the wood, and that is has some flexibility so as to not crack with the natural movement of the particle board.

Please put my mind at ease
Quite likely an epoxy. But you should ask why the slab wasn't leveled with self leveling concrete prior to the subfloor being installed which is usually the way it's done.
Thanks amgsl55, so this is a standard practice??

I should have mentioned that this isn't a new build, I'm renovating a 10 year old house, which is on stumps. I guess its pretty normal for the floor to not be 100% level after that length of time.
Yes. There is a product. Although a light sand over some high points could perhaps achieve the same result. The fact he checked your floor and suggested it be levelled is a sign he is at least a professional though, which is good news.
Depending on the thickness required, he could be using Feather Finish, Feather Finish with P82 instead of water or if it needs a reasonable thickness 5mm or more, then he would likely be using products such as Lanko 184 or Arditex which are a 2 part type leveller that instead of water use a latex liquid.

The floor should still be sanded to make sure any wax or contamination is removed, prime the surface, then apply the leveller.

My explanation is very basic & ideally it should be rescrewed if there is excessive movement, the floor should be checked for any structual damage as well as the current thickness.
Sanding is going to be removing material & you don't want any more issues by excessive sanding & making the floor substandard.
As HN has stated at least he checked the floor, so that can be a sign of a compentent tradesperson.
Related
18/11/2023
level the ground with self-levelling or yellow tongue PB boa

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi guys, I want to do some floor levelling before laying the planks and am considering doing it with self-levelling or yellow tongue PB board. I am wondering which one…

7/03/2024
Sydney Water Board Sewer across House

Building A New House

Thanks for clarifying. Sorry I misunderstood your point

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum