Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Builder laying flooring?

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys

I am a newbie to this forum, we are looking to build with M.
Flooring wise I see most people are choosing to install carpets/tiles/floorboards privately after handover, is cost the main reason for this?
What would be the average cost of getting your builder to install the floors? I like the idea of not having to worry about doing flooring after handover, and not having to worry about skirting boards with timber flooring and carpets. Ideally I would love M to tack the skirting boards on so I can do the floors myself, however, I am not sure if they will do so?

On a side note, would a budget of $30k cover a 35square home with;
*Carpet to 4 bedrooms, upstairs living area, hallway upstairs and study?
* Timber floors to main hallway, living/dining/kitchen area?
* Tiles to rumpus room? (Or what floor coverings do people prefer for rumpus?)

One other thing - for builders like M, what is the floor covering they do to the stairs? Or do you choose that after handover also? What are most people doing? Our house at the moment has carpet to the stairs but I would prefer wood...

Thanks in advance
haywgl
Hi guys

I am a newbie to this forum, we are looking to build with M.
Flooring wise I see most people are choosing to install carpets/tiles/floorboards privately after handover, is cost the main reason for this?

Big cost saving to do yourself afterwards. Builders generally add their profit margin on top. Also, range of choice is generally limited with what the builder will offer.

Quote:
What would be the average cost of getting your builder to install the floors?

Ask your builder?

Quote:
I like the idea of not having to worry about doing flooring after handover, and not having to worry about skirting boards with timber flooring and carpets. Ideally I would love M to tack the skirting boards on so I can do the floors myself, however, I am not sure if they will do so?

Different builders have different policies. For instance our builder wouldn't just tack the skirting boards on. However some do, but charge extra for the privilege.

Quote:
On a side note, would a budget of $30k cover a 35square home with;
*Carpet to 4 bedrooms, upstairs living area, hallway upstairs and study?
* Timber floors to main hallway, living/dining/kitchen area?
* Tiles to rumpus room? (Or what floor coverings do people prefer for rumpus?)
I think your budget is adequate, depending of course on the quality of the flooring. For our home we've budgeted $55/sqm for carpet and $150/sqm for solid timber flooring.
One fall down timber clad stairs, and you'll wish you had carpets!

But choose very heavy duty carpets, ideally wool rich carpets.

Ash.
Quote:

We are getting it done by builder as part of house/land package, I know it is probably costing a bit more that way but we live in the country and it was easier for us to get all our selections done in Adelaide and then leave the builder to worry about it. As for limited range, although only basic level was in the included price, we had the option to upgrade to anything we wanted, obviuosly we pay the cost difference in a variation to contract.
No charge to change other than cost of product and in the case of certain tiles such as friezes, extra for laying.
The builders suppliers had a very large range, in the case of tiles we even had 2 suppliers to choose from, I guess the only problem would be if you really wanted a particular item that was not available at that supplier.
Sorry perhaps I should have been more clear Cookie I can't ask the builder as we dont have a builder as yet, we are only looking around and I am trying to get base estimates before we make the decision to build, so I am trying (with alot of difficult I might add) to work out a rough estimates of 'extras' so I can see if my budget will allow us to build.

I like your estimates though, I have seen awesome Boral silkwood timber floors for $120/sqm and am yet to check out some carpet quotes - just wanted to make sure I was within the range

Ash - I have lived in homes with timber stairs and with carpet - I think I prefer the timer (mainly for ease of cleaning), however, I'd be interested to know what the project home builders finish their stairs with (standard range I mean) ? Or do they leave it up to you to decide...

Helyn - I hope my builder is like yours, I'm willing to pay a little extra if it saves me time/hassle in the long run

Thanks guys
Sometimes the builders margin is huge....PD quoted us $12k for laminate, we paid $7k
haywgl
Sorry perhaps I should have been more clear Cookie I can't ask the builder as we dont have a builder as yet, we are only looking around and I am trying to get base estimates before we make the decision to build, so I am trying (with alot of difficult I might add) to work out a rough estimates of 'extras' so I can see if my budget will allow us to build.

I like your estimates though, I have seen awesome Boral silkwood timber floors for $120/sqm and am yet to check out some carpet quotes - just wanted to make sure I was within the range

Ash - I have lived in homes with timber stairs and with carpet - I think I prefer the timer (mainly for ease of cleaning), however, I'd be interested to know what the project home builders finish their stairs with (standard range I mean) ? Or do they leave it up to you to decide...

Helyn - I hope my builder is like yours, I'm willing to pay a little extra if it saves me time/hassle in the long run

Thanks guys

I think most builders who put carpet on the stairs get the stairs made up in MDF. So I would check the builder with that.
Related
21/02/2024
Oil under boards before laying

General Discussion

I'm about to put down some Merbau. Is it necessary to oil underneath the boards before laying?

1/03/2024
Waterproofing slab before laying floor buttons....

General Discussion

Hey There. No problems re jumping in. My original question was "should I have waterproofed" the concrete slab before putting batons down. We have been told we should…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum