Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Importing carpet from America

Page 1 of 1
O.P.
Hi.

I was wondering if anyone has ever imported carpet from overseas? Im in the market for a carpet and liked one specific one at carpetcall which is running for $57 sq meter.

Its an american brand (shaw flooring) and i went online and got a quote from an american internet retailer for the exact same product and they can do $22 sq meter.

Even if i assume around $500-$700 for shipping, that saves me $3000-$3500.

Anyone ever done this?
Interesting idea, shipping costs are very expensive though!

For example, I recently went to order 1.5kg or less of items from the US and the website wanted US$60 or $70 shipping.
I used a forwarding company called comGateway, and I paid $38US dollars + $10 US dollars for shipping *within* the US.

The price was around $28 for the first 0.5kg and $4 for each 0.5kg in addition. *But* the weight is counted by the size, so if you had an unusually large lighter object, you'd still be charged the same price as a heavier object because it takes up a certain amount of space during transport.

You would have to do the maths but I would estimate that it might not work out that cheap once you work out the freight costs, unless your buying a lot of carpet
Don't forget to factor in customs duties as well. GST will be payable.
Customs cost apply when goods are over $1000 value. Might be worth seeing if anyone else local to you wants some too. It's a good idea but it'll depend on shipping costs
tinkster
Customs cost apply when goods are over $1000 value. Might be worth seeing if anyone else local to you wants some too. It's a good idea but it'll depend on shipping costs

And if the goods would be valued at over $1000 in this market you still pay the duties applicable.

Its not just GST but all taxes associated with the particular item

EG clothing attracts i think 7.5% duty for a quantity that could be deemed as commercial
If you really want to do it, look at comGateway

But I'd still say its going to get expensive.
Related
16/05/2023
Best carpet deals in perth

Flooring & Floor Covering

Have you tried Parry's or Carpet Court?

17/08/2023
Carpet in the bedroom vs Tiles vs Hybrid Flooring

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi Yash, Have you made a decision yet?

2/08/2023
Ramping Carpet Up To Bathroom Level

General Discussion

they can, it's a fairly standard solution when the slab isn't recessed. the falls need to be in the main floor, if it hasn't been done then you need to ask them to redo…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum