Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Opinions on what flooring would suit this room???

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum and I just would like to get some opinions on what flooring I should put in the lounge room and kitchen area of the house.

I am so tired of the carpet I have at the moment and it has had its day and needs replacing. I love timber flooring, but the ceiling in the lounge room is a timber ceiling (as shown in picture) and I think timber flooring AND a timber ceiling would be too much. If not timber, then I am thinking of tiling, and as a last resort going for carpet again...

The photo below is the lounge room at the moment. Try to ignore the furniture that is there since I am going to start fresh with the furniture after the floors have been done. The only item that will stay is the piano.

Next is the living room area which adjoins the kitchen. Whatever flooring goes here would also go into the kitchen.

The colour scheme of the neutral colour and the blue feature wall in the lounge room is staying

Any opinions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Louise
Hi Louise and welcome! (Ash on his best behaviour
)

It would help to know what the floorplan is. Are you able to do provide one, (or draw one)?

I suggest cork floors in kitchen, and meals areas. Maybe into lounge area too, but maybe with a nice carpet in the middle with the cork bordering the loungeroom.

There seems to be a lot of light entering where the vertical blinds are. Is the carpet fading and/or rotting along the edges from the sun?

I assume you are going to remove the slate floor.

Ash.
Hi Louise…….Welcome to the forum!

(Ash, nice to see you on your best behaviour!)

I’m going to go out on a limb here –

Can I suggest…..only suggest, that you paint the ceiling rafters/beams off white or white depending what you have on your ceilings throughout your home.
That’s such a dated look now, and if you are going to give your home a fresh start the ceiling would be a good place to start.

THEN…..put your timber floors down, in all areas. The only thing that will stop the timber flooring looking any good is the two tone ceiling……Mission Brown, and timber.

Question……what type of kitchen do you have, laminate cupboards or timber?
The exposed rafters could be lined to give a new flush ceiling.
Very true Ash! This is a cleaner look.
Hi Ash,

Yup, slate is going! When my dad lived here he found that the slate was too cold for him in winter and so he put down carpet, and glued and nailed boards to the slate and then placed the carpet over, and hence when we removed the carpet and boards, the slate was ruined.

5 minute floor plan of house... to my bestest (hehe
) ability and NOT to scale.

There is a lot of light entering behind the vertical blinds, the afternoon sun is a killer. The carpet is fading and rotting near the edges, and it is over 20 years old, so it is going to be removed too.
Hi Michelle,

I wouldn't worry about the kitchen - it's going too! So I am thinking of an off white kitchen to go with the neutral walls. The present kitchen isn't a factor.

Although, talking of kitchens, what usually goes first? The flooring or the installation of a kitchen?

Louise
royalblue

Would you mind expanding on this for the beginners
When you say line? With what?

-Louise
What flooring is in the entrance & passage?
wildflower_131
royalblue

-Louise

Gyproc standard ceiling sheeting.
royalblue
What flooring is in the entrance & passage?

The entrance is tiled. Passage did have carpet, but ripped that up and it is just concrete as is the spare rooms at the moment.
wildflower_131
Hi Michelle,

I wouldn't worry about the kitchen - it's going too! So I am thinking of an off white kitchen to go with the neutral walls. The present kitchen isn't a factor.

Although, talking of kitchens, what usually goes first? The flooring or the installation of a kitchen?

Louise

This is controversial….some say put the floor down before, some say after the kitchen has been installed.

I don’t care either way, I just think it’s a waist of flooring to go under the cupboards.
royalblue
wildflower_131
royalblue

-Louise

Gyproc standard ceiling sheeting.

To still keep the high ceilings though?
You could just sheet the rafters with gyprock he is saying - I think this is a better option rather than painting the timber, you can always go back to timber/exposed rafters later if you want.
Michelle there are some new timber products out that look absolutely magical when used as a ceiling lining - uch better than the old pine lining boards
Michelle Wrote
Quote:
Can I suggest…..only suggest, that you paint the ceiling rafters/beams off white or white depending what you have on your ceilings throughout your home.

Nooooooooo..... Please don't.

Duke - good suggetion.

I think far to many people are painting over lovely timber that in 20, 50 or 100 years time, someone else will be saying, WHY DID THEY DO THAT!!!!

I've restored a couple of old period houses, and one of the key things I've learned were this, I wish they had just covered it - rather than painted it to change the place.

I think your ceilings with a change of lights, and some new carpet, (yes timber floors could really be too heavy with the wrong colours, will come up a treat. And a change of wall colour - you'll have a nice new room with a feature ceiling.

timber like that - in many years to some will be rare.
Don';t mistreat it!!!

Steve
Yak_Chat
Michelle Wrote
Quote:

Nooooooooo..... Please don't.

Duke - good suggetion.

I think far to many people are painting over lovely timber that in 20, 50 or 100 years time, someone else will be saying, WHY DID THEY DO THAT!!!!

I've restored a couple of old period houses, and one of the key things I've learned were this, I wish they had just covered it - rather than painted it to change the place.

I think your ceilings with a change of lights, and some new carpet, (yes timber floors could really be too heavy with the wrong colours, will come up a treat. And a change of wall colour - you'll have a nice new room with a feature ceiling.

timber like that - in many years to some will be rare.
Don';t mistreat it!!!

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I think that the ceiling IS one of the better aspects of the house - you don't see many around with it, well in my 28 years I have only come across this house, and I love it!
So I wouldn't paint over it. But I also love timber floors too! haha. Everywhere I go that has timber floors I fall in love with them. The feature wall at the moment is blue, but that can be easily changed. The house has been repainted in the last 2 years.

Thanks to everyone for your opinions so far!

-Louise
Related
2/04/2024
How would you make this room feel homey

Interior Decorating Lounge

In my opinion just a few more indoor plants and you're done. It's already a lovely space, you've managed a classic style without being too cluttered and that creates a…

9/07/2023
Would you do this reno?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Bought in Nov 21 at the height of the market (classic). Good area, atrocious floor plan. BUT has land out to the left-hand side that we can extend out on (see second…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum