Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Floor tiling interior

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,
We are about to go into colour selections for our first home and I'm worried they won't have very good looking or quality tiles and are going to charge me top dollar for cheap tiles.
Now, has anyone gone outside their builder to get floor coverings?
What is the savings/pros/cons in doing so?
Also what sort of price should I be looking at for say $40psqm tiles over approximately 70 square meters?(I think its about that if I have calculated correctly, I'm not good at math.)lol
Also the tiles will be 600×600.
Thanks Brenton.
Hi Thoma,

I'm not sure what market builder you are building with - if it is lower to middle end, I'd be surprised if main area floor tiling/floor coverings were a compulsory addition for your builder. Most of those builders will give you a concrete floor as a standard, and if you want floor tiling they will charge you extra for it - and yes, they will add on the builders margin to that. If this is the case with your builder, it is definitely cheaper to arrange your own floor tiling after handover. The downside of doing it yourself after handover is that it delays you getting in your house.

However if your builder does include flooring as a standard, it's probably best to take a look at their selection and see from there if you think the quality is ok. Keep in mind if you were to delete it out and do it yourself after handover, you may find that the credit is not a lot, because anything that is included as standard for a builder is bought at bulk price and therefore you won't get a great refund.

I'm not sure of what you would be charged for your tiling, as most tilers will charge a lot more for 600x600 tiles, because they are bigger, therefore more awkward and heavy to handle. Also if they are porcelain, they would cost even more again to lay.
Its all good, we went in for colour selections and I was plesently surprised at one tile in particular so we are going for that. Thanks
Related
23/08/2023
Need advise on surfacing render interior wall

General Discussion

I am looking for someone who might have tackled a similar issue as me. I have a few rendered interior walls, the surface condition is hardly flat. I can see all the bumps…

24/10/2023
Dark Interior Tiles - Charcoal

Building A New House

Hi All, I am looking to go with tiles instead of laminate timber flooring throughout my living areas for my new build (Ashbury 29 - Henley). My whole colour scheme is on…

23/01/2024
Interior stone wall DIY

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi Would love some advice on a DIY project I've dived into that's now keeping me up at night. We've got a cool 1970's Mid Century style house here in NZ and have always…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum