Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

OMG...floor adhesive issues...solved...YAY finally.

Page 2 of 5
Have given him a call and asked about the price and if it was just for glue. He said Glue, freight and GST. I said, my calculations estimated about $2000 and I was a bit concerned about the 4-odd thousand invoice. He said he would look at the figures when he got home over the weekend as he is away.

Also mentioned having water-based finish and he was apprehensive because he said it isn't as hard wearing and I would be creating a lot of work for myself but we can talk further on that.
Lex
namtrak
... if you have any doubts never too late to ask to see floors done by the contractor - I always offer the opportunity to see floors in situ for potential clients.

Well, to be fair, I did have one guy did give me the address of a public place ...

Lex, just read the thread you had in June about your floors,
hope you got it sorted.
I think I started or heavily joined into quite a few flooring threads
I find some unexplainable attraction to some areas, like slabs, timber flooring and site drainage
- to name a few
Raleighfarm
........Also mentioned having water-based finish and he was apprehensive because he said it isn't as hard wearing and I would be creating a lot of work for myself but we can talk further on that........

Old school sanders will say that, but the bottom line is that Bona Mega is the biggest selling finish in the world - by a stretch. If you were worried Bona have a commercial product called Traffic which has a hardener in it.

I haven't any call backs from clients worried about wear and tear on the water based finishes, however the caveat is you do you need to remember that what ever finish goes down it is not an indefensible barrier - you do need to have a degree of care regardless.

Maintenance is no different between solvent based finishes and water based finishes.

Quiz your guy on the yellowing of his finishes - down South here there are lots of old Cypress floors that have been sealed with the old finishes and they all go that honey yellow/orange colour. The water based finishes keep a much crisper and original look.
Sorry Namtrak,
more Q's, I am not sure the local bloke would be the best to ask since he is not a fan of the water-based finishes.

We have 5 kids and planning another AND the house is huge so just a bit worried about how much extra work it will be to have the water-based finish. I assume that we need to use the spray on stuff every week on the whole floor??? We weren't planning on traditional wet mopping anyway but using Enjo products which are microfibre and used damp. Can we still do this or does it have to be the special cleaner everytime?

I would really like to go with the Bona product (or the other one) but I have enough trouble keeping up with the floors in this house (it is a fraction of the size).
No dramas, the cleaning will be much the same whatever the finish is on the floor.

Why I recommend using the manufacturers cleaning product is to discourage people from introducing cleaning waxes and oils and other crappola to the floor. Because if in 5 years time you want a maintenance coat (just another final coat) then if you have used just the manufacturers cleaning product then you will have no trouble with the new coat binding to the existing coat.

Having said that though, just a damp mop is fine. I normally recommend the enjo-type mops you get from supermarkets because they are cheaper. And then once every now and then just a clean with the Bona spray will do the trick. Bona also have a Refresher product which sits somewhere between the cleaner and the sealer products.

At then end of the day prevention is always better. Mats at the doors, furniture protectors, dogs nails clipped, a non-gravel driveway, kids sleep outside, no stilettos etc
namtrak
No dramas, the cleaning will be much the same whatever the finish is on the floor.

Why I recommend using the manufacturers cleaning product is to discourage people from introducing cleaning waxes and oils and other crappola to the floor. Because if in 5 years time you want a maintenance coat (just another final coat) then if you have used just the manufacturers cleaning product then you will have no trouble with the new coat binding to the existing coat.

Having said that though, just a damp mop is fine. I normally recommend the enjo-type mops you get from supermarkets because they are cheaper. And then once every now and then just a clean with the Bona spray will do the trick. Bona also have a Refresher product which sits somewhere between the cleaner and the sealer products.

At then end of the day prevention is always better. Mats at the doors, furniture protectors, dogs nails clipped, a non-gravel driveway, kids sleep outside, no stilettos etc

Awesome...now I have an excuse

Thanks so much for your time.
Namtrak, have been in conversation with Giles as you suggested. Lovely bloke is even trying to get me some floor layers and finishers to come up from S'shine Coast/Brisbane to do the job cheaper for me. We'll see how it pans out
Well I am getting someone (and his offsider) up from Sunshine Coast to lay the floor next week. And another fellow up from Brissy later (and he is bringing his family) to sand and finish the floor. Even after travel and accommodation costs, the overall price will be cheaper.

How does that work? I can't believe the whole situation.

Now I have to ring the local bloke (who I still haven't heard from BTW) to come and pick up his glue and take his job elsewhere. Bit stressed about that one (ok a LOT stressed).
Excellent news!!
Lex
Excellent news!!

It is good news, but also means a LOT of extra organising on my part and I really struggle to find the time as kids are so demanding esp DS4. He is a real terror atm.
Raleighfarm
He is a real terror atm.

Good luck and let us know how you go
Lex
Raleighfarm
He is a real terror atm.

Good luck and let us know how you go

With the floor or not tying up a 17mo and locking him in a cupboard????
Oh
... well, when you put it like that, I guess I underestimated him - so - both!!!

(
hhmmmm, to avoid further confusion, he = DS4)

Yes, but we could try it with DH too
. He might be ok with the tying up bit but maybe not the cupboard
Two floor layers (check), tools and equipment (check), glue that isn't ridiculously over-priced (check).
Raleighfarm
You could try him with the cupboard and see-he may have a Harry Potter fetish....
Deemaree
Raleighfarm
You could try him with the cupboard and see-he may have a Harry Potter fetish....

He might have an unknown tying-up fetish too
that would make an interesting H1 pic feast
Floor down, thanks to the lovely blokes from the Sunshine coast who flew up to lay it. Latest update:

Bloke from BNE who was going to come and finish the floor has worked out it will be too difficult to work around his family so have been looking into other local options. None are too keen on the finish I want. BUT the VERY nice bloke from Whittle.waxes said if I can get the floor sanded in the next couple of weeks, he will come up and finish the floor himself. The lengths some people will go to to make sure one gets what one wants is amazing.
Related
18/09/2023
Adhesive seals for western red cedar windows

Windows & Doors

I’m restoring all my 40yr old windows and I want to install seals around the casements. I’ve sanded back and oiled the frames with sikkens. My plan is to box up inside…

4/11/2023
Tiling over old adhesive

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hi, I'm clearing the tiles from our horrid 50 year old bathroom and preparing to lay new ones. Bugger of a job getting the old…

12/06/2023
CDC Housing Code 3: Gross Floor Area vs Floor Area

Building A New House

CDC Housing Code 3 When to apply Floor Area external face of wall vs Gross Floor Area internal face of wall. Reading thru CDC Housing Code 3, lets take a lot 915sqm.…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum