Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

carpet or wood/bamboo floor?

Page 1 of 1
Dear forum,
We would like to put flooring on our bed rooms, but we'r bit confuse wheter to put wood/timber, bamboo or carpet.
i would be very appreciate if anyone can give any feed back in term of price (cost), maintenance, comfortability and other consideration.

many thanks,
malv
We have timber floors throughout our place including the bedrooms. The modern back of the house has bamboo flooring. If you get quality bamboo (16mm) then it should cost you around $85m2 plus $25 to lay so about $110m2. It is a great surface, very hard and relatively low maintenance.

I am sure you could carpet for less as there is so many carpet choices available but my recollection is a good quality carpet laid is about $140m2 to $160m2.

We decided on no carpet because we like the "airy" feeling given by hardwood floors.
To me it's down to personal preference.
If you want wood get wood if you want carpet etc etc.
If price is what is holding you back then get what is cheaper and what you are happy with.
May depend on where you live but I have lived with both in Melbourne & I will insist on carpet in the bedrooms from now on. Much more luxurious and feels wonderful underfoot, especially on cold mornings. Quality wool carpet is only about $100m2 laid & considering the amount of work in it I think it's extremely well priced.
I prefer wood. I live in Queensland so the wood is cool in summer, and easy to keep clean. I have several pets so I really need something that is easy to vacuum.

If you are somewhere cold, carpet may suit you better. Again if you don't have pets you may prefer the feel of carpet.
i live in Perth, probably carpet become better option, but still not sure yet.
does anyone can suggest me when i can find good quality, good price carpet? would be good if you have same information for timber as well. would have to decide it this 1-2 week.

many thanks
malv, may i suggest that you send a pm to royalblue (Ash). He is a resident carpet expert on the floor coverings forum here & he's in Perth, I believe.
ok, thanks xquisite
I prefer carpet in the bedrooms - breaks up the space a bit between hallways and bedrooms and esp in older qlders with wooden floors throughout it's just too much reckon. I also strongly prefer most polished floors over bamboo. The grain is too consistent it looks siythetic like lino and makes the place look like a hospital (although my wife loves them) they are nice and light
Related
29/09/2023
Timber or carpet on first floor- which looks good ?

General Discussion

Thank you. Do I use timber floorboards for stairs or do people use timber treads? Or is both the same?

7/06/2023
Radiant or Convection Wood Fire

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

We are tossing up between a Jarrahdale radiant wood fire (the Pioneer) and a convection wood fire (Innovator or Countryman) but cannot decide on which type of wood fire is…

16/11/2023
Plaster meets wood - how to fill

Building A New House

yeah i couldnt picture it issue either, but i could clearly picture what they were doing wrong haha

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum