Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Vinyl planks vs laminate flooring

Page 1 of 1
Hi, we are building a house and are completely confused about which flooring we should go for. The house is on a slab and will be tiled throughout the the wet areas and carpet through the bedrooms and then the rest of the house will be one of the following. Originally we wanted to go with floating timber floors, though were pretty much talked out of it due to the fact that they don't wear very well with three kids as well as home daycare. We were then steered toward the vinyl planks. We found some great looking colours in the Karndean Van Gogh range and were quite happy with our decision. I then popped into Harvey Norman today and the lady there was pushing the Timber Impression Laminate Flooring. The long boards look great and looked quite realistic but I am concerned that they aren't as hard wearing?? I am really confused and would appreciate absolutely any advice or input. Construction hasn't started yet so we still have heaps of time to make the decision. Will the laminate flooring swell etc because of the climate?? Is it as hard wearing as the vinyl flooring?? Has anyone laid Karndean Van Gogh Tasmanian Wattle and if so any chance of some pics.
If you go the Parador 1040 or 1050 Laminate they are commercial grade which will last a coupla years and are very scratch resistant
The Timber Impressions product has an ac4 wear rating. Even if you had 30 kids and ran your house as a pre-school you would be right. It will come with a 30 year warranty. It's a good product.
Bump, anyone else got feedback between Vinyl and Laminate?
Vinyl when installed correctly is waterproof.
We ripped up laminate and put down Karndean Art Select range vinyl. Best thing we ever did. It's commercial/light industrial grade, people don't believe at first its not actual timber.

Either way, you get what you pay for though. Don't skimp or you will regret it.
I have also been looking at the Karndean vinyl planks as they are hard wearing and the sales guy says if one gets damaged you just pull it up and replace it. He said you can not do that with wood or laminate. But im also leaning towards tiles. Decisions decisions
We were going to install tiles for our living areas because I am a wheelchair user and thought they would be the best option but now we are considering vinyl planks because apparently they would handle the wheelchair very well and would be a softer non slip surface for when I am walking around as well. Are there any negatives to vinyl flooring?
Emandrob
We were going to install tiles for our living areas because I am a wheelchair user and thought they would be the best option but now we are considering vinyl planks because apparently they would handle the wheelchair very well and would be a softer non slip surface for when I am walking around as well. Are there any negatives to vinyl flooring?

Negative- Vinyl floor planks are quite expensive. Slab need to be levelled usually to remove the dips and highs (expensive process too I believe). Negates thermal mass of your slab.
Positive- They are water proof. They can have a damaged plank replaced. Very hard wearing. Can be layed by the DIY person. No need to reseal, polish. Easy to maintain.

Having said all that, I will be going with vinyl planks and laying them myself but getting levelling done by an expert. This will be important for especially you as you can get the doorways ramped up for the ease of chair use. The vinyl planks are only about 6mm thick and tile and carpet heights are a lot lot more than that. 6mm applies to the vinyl floor plank I will be using. Gerflor Creation Clic (about $75 sqm). No underlay required for this particular vinyl floor plank.
Related
6/10/2023
installing vinyl planks underlay

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi l plan to install a self adhesive vinyl plank floor. l first need to attach masonite boards underlay to by plywood subfloor of my house. What size nails and how many…

25/11/2023
Laminate flooring and curved brick hearth

Flooring & Floor Covering

Just about completed a renovation project and hit a small issue that we didn’t see We have laminate floors now where we had tiles before (turned out it was actually 2…

24/10/2023
Need advice - vinyl over kitchen tiles

General Discussion

Levelling compound Ardit is the best but buy a bag of sand and make sand dam to protect your wood floor

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum