Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Tiles vs floorboards

Page 2 of 2
Thanks for all your tips everyone....

Lots of pros and cons for both we need to consider...

I hadn't thought of the wet area/floorboards issue or the dogs and high heels scratching.
I have a 7 yr old who's desperate for a dog so may need to have a rethink about floorboards.
And we're facing North so I like the idea of tiles warming up and retaining heat in winter...
I had my heart set on wood but now I'm not sure!!!

gosh this is difficult! We haven't even done plans yet and I'm already confused. I'm sure I'll have loads of more questions over next 6-12 mths.
thanks all
I am going through this exact decision at the moment.
We had floating laminate flooring put in our unit prior to us selling. It dramatically improved the look of the place and we got a great price when we sold.

Now, we are building a place and I'm trying to decide on if we should tile or get floor boards. We are starting to lean towards Bamboo floating floor over a concrete slab. Haven't priced it out yet, but I think Bamboo is going to be cheaper than 600x600 tiles over 100m2 of floor. I think the labour cost is going to be far cheaper, even though the material is going to be more in the beginning.

Bamboo is hard as nails too and looks tops.

Fingers crossed.
Excuse my ignorance but what is the main difference between floating timber or not?

Partner and I are fixed on Timber Flooring including the kitchen. We still want tiles for the Laundry and bathrooms. If there is a water leak on the kitchen floor surely it would be just a case of mopping up?

Also I saw some post mentioning High Heels as a no no. Can't you seal and protect timber flooring to prevent scratches anyway?
Jimako
Also I saw some post mentioning High Heels as a no no. Can't you seal and protect timber flooring to prevent scratches anyway?

I don't believe so. You can seal timber so that it doesn't scratch 'as easily' but dents and major scratches will occur pretty much no matter what. We've got a big black lab - the main reason we didn't go with timber.

Granted the traffic in the display homes was far more than we'd ever see, but it does show you what the floor will look like years down the road. With children on the way and another dog likely in our future, our place would be a mess. Tiles it was.
The question is how do you convince the Mrs when Timber is fixed on her mind?
Jimako
The question is how do you convince the Mrs when Timber is fixed on her mind?

Go to the display home. Think of the amount of traffic those get on a daily basis. She'll see what her floors look like in a few years and think twice.

Hopefully.

For many years we have imported a line of tiles from Spain thats look like narrow long planks of timber without the maintenance.

Cheers
Charlie
Charlie they look great - know where I can see these in Adelaide?
No sorry Lee.
Im one of only 3 importers from this company in Aus, and the only one that brings this line in. There are similar lines out there but they generally have a much more rustic look to them.
Cheers
Related
4/12/2023
Miners Cottage floorboards

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi All New to the forum and looking for some advice, has anyone else renovated an old miners cottage in or around Ballarat and been able to identify the flooring? We…

24/04/2024
Ensure rubber gym floor is flush to floorboards in hallway?

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi there, looking to have a gym in a new build. Planning to install some sort of rubber mat flooring (on concrete) i.e. Asking the builder to not do floorboards in the gym…

3/07/2023
Cause of damp along slab and patio tiles

General Discussion

Firstly the ableflex that has been installed needs (manufactures specification) a sealant cap over the top, preventing water draining down between the slab and the…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum