Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Porter D Flooring options

Page 1 of 1
Does anyone believe I will have an issue installing a floating timber floor and capret after handover from PD. The flooring options in the standard range from PD are not very good. For the price I can get a CAT2 carpet and CAT1 tiles from PD I could get a nice floating timber floor and a much better quality carpet. I am looking at Carpet Choice and they are much better than what PD offer. Anyone have any suggested flooring companies in the point cook area. Also has anyone been able to get PD to install the skirtings 10mm off the ground so the floating boards can slide under as the sales person at carpet choice suggested I do that. Or do I have to have the quad.

Any advice would be great
We are building with PD and are having carpets/floating floors installed after handover. PD are fine with it and the salesperson actually recommended doing it this way if we wanted floating floors.

We had no luck with getting them to 'tack' on skirtings so they could be removed and then replaced.

We also went through Carpet Choice in Hoppers Crossing.
Are you building in point cook or close by.

Did you have to use the quad or did they install the skirting higher so you could slide boards under.

What house are you building
We are building a Paddington 23 in Tarneit. We are using quad.
PD won't tack on the skirting boards so they can be removed after. We put in floating timber floorboards after handover but we had to go with the quad. It actually looks ok and there really wasn't an alternative. We used Unique Timber Floors on Old Geelong Rd. We also were disappointed when we saw the CAT2 carpet and dropped it from our inclusions. We got much nicer carpet through Western Distributors in Sunshine and at a better price too
penjay
PD won't tack on the skirting boards so they can be removed after. We put in floating timber floorboards after handover but we had to go with the quad. It actually looks ok and there really wasn't an alternative. We used Unique Timber Floors on Old Geelong Rd. We also were disappointed when we saw the CAT2 carpet and dropped it from our inclusions. We got much nicer carpet through Western Distributors in Sunshine and at a better price too

Hey penjay, we are getting hand over for our PD tomorrow and making a trip to Western Distributors to check out their carpet. I have heard from friends in Tarneit Gardens that this place is really worth a look.

For floating timber floors, you may like to check out this bloke from eBay http://myworld.ebay.com.au/kvl1024201/
I will be getting our flooring from him as we were also disappointed in the standard inclusions of carpet and tiles.
uncle-ant
I don't know how comfortable I'd be buying the flooring from ebay. Is it much cheaper? Are you going to lay it yourself - I guess it would be a great option if you know a bit about it and can install yourself. We got top of the range True Grid one strip in our last house because that was the only thing jennings did. This time we got 3 strip which was a lot cheaper but I actually like it more - it has a really nice variation in colour - but I guess that's a peronal preference.
Good luck with your carpet shopping. I love my new carpet, it is so thick and fluffy with nice underlay. We had crappy builders carpet last time (great when the kids were small) so I'm really enjoying nice carpet.
Which esate are you on?
Hi penjay

It is by far cheaper and equivalent to the flooring I have seen at other suppliers for $70 - $105 sqm. I went and checked the stuff out as the bloke has a stand at the Pipeworks Market in Campblefield. I will be laying it myself.

I will check out pricing at Western Distributors tomorrow for their flooring, and then another supplier that Grime from this forum gave me. I have had a carpet layer come and measure and quote for installation, just waiting for us to supply him.

We are located at Claremont Park, Tarneit.

Cheers

Tony
Good for you - you are much better oraganised than us!
Claremont Park - opposite end to us, we're near Wyndham Green
uncle-ant
Am in process of researching bamboo flooring. Re flooring, the choice of product on ebay is vertical or horizontal and is short-board. We visited Bamboo Australia on Sunshine Coast and looked at all their products which are longer (1.8m), as well as the types mentioned above they also have Moso which seems to be another name for the woven which is made by completely breking up the bamboo fire and compessing it, this produces the toughest product.
It seems pot luck with the colour as every batch is different, they buy in 500 m3 lots and will send u a sample, and it is a matter of waiting til they get a batch in that u like within the product type u have chosen.
Regards laying, there are sites giving instr. on glueing directy onto concrete but they advised to lay on a 3mm underlay i.e. floating floor to allow the timber to move.(ask builder to leave 18mm gap floor/skirting.
It would be good to hear from someone who has laid it.
Cheers
seak
Hi penjay and seak

I have changed my mind on the flooring type altogether now after receiving some honest information from a salesperson.

The flooring I was considering had a wear layer of 4mm with a gloss coating. It turns out that this coating is nowhere near as tough as what would be put down on a pollished floor, ie two-pack or polyurethane. It actually scratches fairly easily.

I have found a laminate that has 25 year guarentee and just won't scratch. The supplier I went to had both types on display and gave me a sample of each with a stanely knife. The flooring with the gloss finish and wear layer could be scratched very easily, and immediately I thought of kids with toys or chairs being dragged across the floor. The laminate could not be scratched, and I put a bit more pressure on the sample to try it too.

This was good enough for me, and was less that half the cost of the flooring I had first considered. This flooring uses HDF, and is not like the cheap imports that use MDF.

I guess it pays to shop around and ask lots of questions. I had been sold on the dearer flooring by three other suppliers, the price range was from $41.00 - $105.00 sqm.

Tony
Related
8/07/2023
Need help with flooring options

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi there, I'm a conplete newbie to this, but I'm looking to put a floor down in my 6x9m shed. It's currently sitting on a 100mm thick concrete perimeter (dirt floor…

24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

19/05/2023
Cladding Options -- Pros, Cons

General Discussion

Standard uninsulated double brick has an R value of around 0.7. An insulated standard 90mm stud timber frame can have an R value of around 2.7. Even if you insulate a…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum