Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Garage floor - paint or epoxy

Page 1 of 1
Just building now - and am wondering what to put on the concrete garage floor.
Our current home has a painted garage floor which peeled as soon as a hot tyre went over it - so it is patchy.

What is recommended for garages? Our builder mentioned an epoxy material which may require some work to put down. The area is 9m x 6.6m.

Any suggestions for a colour? Walls are a Dulux russian toffee.

Thanks.
A number of paint companies make specific "concrete paint" - Solver Paving Paint or Dulux Berger Jet Dry or White Knight Ultra Pave (to name a few).

From memory the colour range is somewhat limited and I'm not sure if it can be tinted.
They are applied as a "system" that might include (depending on the type of conrete) the need for hydrochloric acid etching of the surface to allow the paint to adhere correctly. Then there is a curing period. You can also add product (sand?) to the paint to improve the non-slip characteristics.

Lots of info available from the paint distributors. You will have to check them out and make a decision.
Dulux has a new garage paint system. It comes in just 2 colours I think. Apparently it's pretty good. Have a look on their website to check it out.

Judie
I was thinking of just putting a clear sealant in our garage so any oil etc will wash off easily.

Not sure what is the best option yet
Berger now have a water based product for this called AquaTread. You throw down a water based base coat that doesnt need you to etch the concrete, and then paint over it with the top coat which is just tinted to the colour of your choice by the paint shop (eg at bunnings), and you can pick any of the colorbond colours to start.

I used the oil based berger jet dry at the old place and it worked well.

And there are other products by other companies as mentioned but all others are oil based and require acid etching of the concrete, nothing i want to be spraying all over the walls of my garage.
Related
25/09/2023
Epoxy floors in living area

General Discussion

That would be great -Thank you.

18/07/2023
Current thinking on garage floor level with house floor

Building A New House

isn't a garage level with the rest of the house a given? pretty sure they 'came around' long time ago. if you have a flat block, the garage is usually level with the rest…

12/06/2023
CDC Housing Code 3: Gross Floor Area vs Floor Area

Building A New House

CDC Housing Code 3 When to apply Floor Area external face of wall vs Gross Floor Area internal face of wall. Reading thru CDC Housing Code 3, lets take a lot 915sqm.…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum