Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Sorry - another question about underlay

Page 1 of 1
Hi to our resident experts - I see on the forums that you all suggest Prime is the best underlay and Im not saying it is not but for some of us that want a softer feel to their carpet under foot, what would you recommend? I want a quality underlay but Prime may not give me the soft feel I want in the bedrooms. We are buying Redbook carpet in the Flinders range and want a quality underlay - but maybe not Prime, although this may be good for the study?

Thanks for any advice and again, sorry to be starting a new thread when there are many already.

Cheers, Lee
Dunlop Excellay
We had our carpet (also Redbook) laid this week and l cannot believe how soft underfoot it is.....it's just divine! Everyone in our families has commented on how lovely and soft it is!

I did look at the underlay and it was Dunlop but l can't remember the exact one. The carpet layer (of 27 years experience) said that it is the 2nd best underlay....he also said that the for the 'best' one didn't provide much noticible more benefit for the extra $$, so much so that Floorworld (Wodonga anyway) don't even stock it.

Royal Blue....I don't remember seeing 'Excellay'...l'm positive it was two words. Is Excellay only what is known as? or is it a type of underlay which has different types of underlay in that range?...does that make sense??
http://www.dunlopflooring.com.au/Commer ... cellay.asp

The above is Excellay.

The usual Dunlop underlay supplied would be the Springtred range. http://www.dunlopflooring.com.au/Reside ... -Range.asp You probably had Springtred Extra laid.

Excellay is much better than any of the Springtred range.

Better underlays are dense and low profile = Excellay or Bridgestone PRIME.

Thicker softer underlays might appeal to you, but they are quite often more problematic. With a nice soft carpet, you can still enjoy the comfort you want.

Ash.
Ya, l think l got the Springtred...Excellay may be "better" but l'm not at all fussed, l'm really happy with what we got
Hi Thorney,

Glad you're happy with your carpets. NOT wanting you be otherwise, but just thought I'd clarify some comments about Springtred underlays...

Sounds like you probably have Springtred Extra. The common consensus is this is a good quality domestic underlay offering a nice soft feel underfoot. It will probably give good service if the carpet was laid well.

My main concern (and why I keep saying a firm dense underlay is best) is that a softer underlay allows more movement. With each step, the carpet and underlay compresses and then relaxes. This 'trampolining' places extra stresses on edges and seams. Also if its not laid tight, the carpet can develop rucks & ripples.

Again, I'm not saying you will have these probs, but knowing of the potential means you can keep an eye on it. If you notice any puckering at edges, looseness or other issues, contact the contractor to have it restetched. Your warranty should cover this if needed.

Cheers!

Ash.
Thanks Ash,

I understand that a soft underlay can cause movement and thus problems down the track ( l learn't that from this wonderful forum
) especially if the carpet is not laid properly to begin with.

As our carpet was laid with a power stretcher and architectural smooth edge, hopefully that will go a long way towards preventing rucks and rippling. I suppose only time will tell
In the bedrooms the traffic is usually fairly light and softer underlay should not pose too many issues.
that is, unless your name is Camelia!

Ash.
Hi Ash ,

I'm looking forward to catching up with you on the Gold Coast next week.
It should be fun talking nothing but carpets for a few days.
Sure thing Col! Should I bring my chenille needles?

Ash.
I too have just had Redbook carpets laid with Dunlop Ultimate underlay and its fabulous underfoot.

I wouldn't scrimp with cheaper underlay.
we have upgraded to Bridgestone gold underlay. Carpet was laid in a day when we werent at the house.
Imagine our surprise/anger when some of the carpet has had to be pulled up and we notice they used black (basic) underlay!

why is it so hard to get honest tradies these days?? apologies to the honest ones but we are having a bad run
the mont
we have upgraded to Bridgestone gold underlay. Carpet was laid in a day when we werent at the house.
Imagine our surprise/anger when some of the carpet has had to be pulled up and we notice they used black (basic) underlay!

why is it so hard to get honest tradies these days?? apologies to the honest ones but we are having a bad run

Suggest you go back to the retailer with contract in hand and demand you get what you paid for.

Ash.
Thanks Ash,
its part of a home build and yes, we have told them to take up the carpet and put down the correct underlay,

cheers
Related
6/10/2023
installing vinyl planks underlay

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi l plan to install a self adhesive vinyl plank floor. l first need to attach masonite boards underlay to by plywood subfloor of my house. What size nails and how many…

7/10/2023
Nailing masonite underlay to plywood subfloor

General Discussion

Jimbo73 I would use heaps of adhesive on each sheet and screw rather than nail. use as many as you like cheers Simeon

22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum