Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Flooring Installed But Drummy in places. Can this be fixed?

Page 2 of 2
[quote="anthony_carter"]Levelling a floor to run a floater over it, and levelling it to direct stick to, are VERY different - for example if you mixed up your ardit too much and it was runny as hell, and sets all powdery, then you are not sticking to it anytime - BUT it will level your floor with no dramas if you are putting down an underlay and a floater.[quote="anthony_carter"]

True

Regards the comments for levelling for vinyl, it is highly dependent on the gloss finish of the vinyl. High gloss - more levelling. Flat finish - minimal levelling.
It comes back to the experience of the retailer/quoter/measurer to understand what is required for a job. It is highly dependent on the person that sights the job to see what might be required for a top job, and explain things to the customer [ eg. sight problems with uneven floors and high-gloss vinyl ]. If they are worried about the cost of too much prep, explain to the customer the options, and consequences.

PS that featherfinsh bill of $1500 would have to be a total rip off by the vinyl layer, or a total bugger-up by the person who sighted the job, or both.
anthony_carter
Levelling a floor to run a floater over it, and levelling it to direct stick to, are VERY different - for example if you mixed up your ardit too much and it was runny as hell, and sets all powdery, then you are not sticking to it anytime - BUT it will level your floor with no dramas if you are putting down an underlay and a floater.

Levelling, at least in my experiences, is generally carried out by over paid timber installers or even more over paid vinyl installers.

Example, I had one of my vinyl layers try to charge me $1500 the other week for putting in some feather on a 30m2 job...........you work that out.

Now if Carpet Layers did levelling, then prices would be sensible !

Don't freak out too much about it. See your local flooring supplies joint and have a chat. Just because you haven't done it before, doesn't mean you can't read the instructions and have a crack.

AFS / QEP in the Eastern States. Not sure about WA.

Im sure there is more to the story for him to charge that much.
To buy ardit is not cheap and to install it is not easy it is easy for someone in a shop who most the time has never done it to talk about how easy it is.But if there is that much money in it and it is that easy get of your butt and go do it.
I have had many customers who do there own ardit work and most of the time i have to repair it which will cost them more i have also had concretors go back and fix up slabs for us and 90% of the time they cant do ardit at the end of the day i hate doing ardit but not many people can do it properly so we have to do it.
mickve - I hear you... grano yes but have placed plenty of mtrs of level thin and thick...
Quite a knack
I just think it is no good for a customer to do there own prep work i think the ardit is the hardest part of flooring.Also why do it yourself then the installer will just blame your prep work when the job is no good.
mickve
It is the same with the customer laying their own hardboard/mdf, disaster.
And believe it or not, if they get a builder to do it, it is just as bad.
Mark S
mickve
It is the same with the customer laying their own hardboard/mdf, disaster.
And believe it or not, if they get a builder to do it, it is just as bad.

I think if you want it done properly get a pro it is to much money to do it yourself then have to redo it later.
you wont buy a car and paint it yourself would you.
fencesllove
Well, flooring expert layed direct onto slab.

Sorry are you saying someone laid floating floor without underlay?
mickve
fencesllove
Well, flooring expert layed direct onto slab.

Sorry are you saying someone laid floating floor without underlay?

fencesllove - is a spammer
so has been banned
Related
22/04/2024
Door not closing properly but I have a fixed hinge

Windows & Doors

My door tends to rub against the frame during winter and I'm looking to fix it so it closes smoothly. Looking online on Youtube I'm seeing methods to fix the alignment and…

4/09/2023
Newly Installed Aircon Not Sitting Flush with the Wall

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

The unit normally clips into a metal plate screwed to the wall, either plate is not flush, or unit not hooked in and could be hanging from the pipes partly, either might…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum