Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Karndean flooring or other vinyl tile flooring..?

Page 1 of 1
Basically...anyone use vinyl tile flooring...???

So now you have had some time with it....do you regret it, happy with it..???

Are there any problems that you notice....wear, marking etc...

Do share....

Also...would wood look vinyl planks look funny in a massive open plan area.... or are they suited to smaller room type rooms...??

Thank...
Hi Medsy

If you look in the forum topics under flooring and floor coverings you will find heaps of info - people seem to be happy with Karndean
Sorry for the poor forum etiquette.... rehashing a very old post....

BUT.....

As this stuff is becoming more and more mainstream.....anyone care to add further comment...????

We are almost at lockup, so flooring purchasing needs to be made very soon....

So, further to the op....any comments...?
I think the consensus is it is a good durable surface. One thing I might add is you need to consider that it is a low profile floorcovering. So if you have other floorcoverings such as tiles in wet areas or carpets, you need to think about the height differential, and how they surfaces transition.

Example, you may have a slight step up from the vinyl in a passage to the tiles in the bathroom. Also if carpets are fitted, its best to choose a fairly low profile carpet, or you will have a high trim where the carpets start.

Other things like skirting position should be considered too, if there are floorcoverings of various heights.

Cheers!

Ash.
Medsy
Sorry for the poor forum etiquette.... rehashing a very old post....

BUT.....

As this stuff is becoming more and more mainstream.....anyone care to add further comment...????

We are almost at lockup, so flooring purchasing needs to be made very soon....

So, further to the op....any comments...?

PVC flooring (plank and tile) is one of the hardest wearing flooring types on the market, providing you buy a good quality product.

The brand can be a start, although both major PVC flooring companies having products from low spec up to high spec. The two biggest players in terms of pvc plank flooring are Karndean and Amtico.

The biggest thing with stuck down pvc planks is you want a professional installer who understands floor preperation. You want to use a reputable retailer who backs their installers with an installation warranty. If installed correctly, this type of flooring will last a long time. The wear layer should not be less than .3 mil though. .3 mil is the standard wear layer on one of these floors.

You can also thesedays buy a DIY floating PVC floor that gives you the timber style look, without the installation issues of a stuck down floor (so you don't have to worry about the floor prep as much.....still has to be +-3mil over a 1 metre span). You can lay it yourself and save a fortune. It is called Allure and you can get it from Harvey Norman Flooring. Give Mike Francis a call on 08 8342 8782. He is at Gepps Cross and services the whole of Adelaide.
We've been in our house a month now and had Polyfloor vinyl planks laid. They were the rustic dark wood colour (can't remember the name now).

I love them, so easy to clean, no streaks when mopping, kid friendly, absolutely the better than the laminate I have lived with before.

We have them in a very large open area, kitchen, living, dining, games and entrance all opening up and they look very good. I have had people stay with us who have asked what type of wood it was, when I told tehm it was vinyl they didn't believe me!
Yes, polyfloor products are less widely available but still good. If they were layer right, as it sounds they were, you will have a long lasting, waterproof floor. Cool!
Related
11/03/2024
Renovation - swapping kitchen and bathroom and other fix ups

Renovation + Home Improvement

I recently went through a similar renovation and move scenario when updating our family home. We also swapped some rooms around and tackled a major…

6/10/2023
installing vinyl planks underlay

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi l plan to install a self adhesive vinyl plank floor. l first need to attach masonite boards underlay to by plywood subfloor of my house. What size nails and how many…

24/10/2023
Need advice - vinyl over kitchen tiles

General Discussion

Levelling compound Ardit is the best but buy a bag of sand and make sand dam to protect your wood floor

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum