Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Timber Flooring In Bedrooms?

Page 1 of 1
Hi there

We are building for the 3rd time and slab has just gone down so I've started looking at floor coverings.

Last two houses we went timber flooring in living areas and CREAM carpet in bedrooms.

Enter: a baby who is now a very messy typical 2 year old boy!

Result: my lovely cream carpet is disgusting brown carpet and no matter how many times I clean and vacuum it it is just impossible to keep it looking nice with him destroying it!!

So I am thinking this house of putting timber flooring (probably a Kempas) in all rooms except the home theatre. Only problem is that I am so used to the nice soft warm feel of carpet in the bedrooms....so I don't know whether to go for a dark carpet or timber in the bedrooms?

So was wondering does anyone have timber flooring or is anyone going to get it in bedrooms rather than carpet? How do you find it?

Thanks
Nat
Hi Nat,

We have two boys aged 12 and 10 (they share a bedroom) and the house is 10 years old.

We have bright multi-coloured carpets (a Ken Done designed axminster) in the boys room, and timber floorboards through the living area and passage. With very little maintenance, the carpets look as good as new.

The cream carpets you have can be maintained well if you know how, but will be less forgiving as they will show any soiling or stains. If you like, I can explain a few things over the phone rarther than write a book here. I am a carpet cleaning technician with 24 years experience. Email me and I'll ring you or give you my number.

What you have described is a very common love/hate relationship with carpets. Unfortunately, many people love the benefits of carpets but don't have the understanding how to keep them nicely. I can help you with that.

Going to hard floors has its advantages, but my (INFORMED) opinion is the trade-offs make well-chosen carpets a better choice. My boys spend heaps of time sitting on the floor playing with their toys. It's a naturally comfy place for them, and it looks fantastic. Keeps noise down too!

Ash.
Having had many bedrooms with floorboards, the biggest shock is the old cold feet thing when you warm feet hit the floor in the morning.
Rugs nearby can help that bit. But as Ash says, if your into cleaning them, then carpet is a nice quiet feel to it and might be a better option. Entirly depends on what you like.
SJ
Just adding a bit about your places so far....

"Last two houses we went timber flooring in living areas and CREAM carpet in bedrooms".

What you've had is close to a 'worst case scenario' and its no wonder you have had problems keeping the carpets looking good. The carpets in the doorways to these rooms will have been collecting all the dust that migrates around the hard floors. Cream carpet would show everything.

To compound the problems, (I make assumptions here) you spoke of having it cleaned regularly. Most carpet cleaners provide basic or poor services at cheap prices. They may make it look good at the time, but unless they are cleaned properly according to Aust Standards, the result is often short-term and carpets rapidly resoil. NOTE: this should not be the case when cleaned properly.

With simple but regular maintenance of all the floors, carpets can be kept looking good, and a proper professional clean as required will keep them fresh and hygienic.

But Yak Chat is right, its your choice!

Ash.
We had timber floors in our bedrooms as kids. I have to admit, it wasn't the nicest...especially, as Yak_Chat has mentioned, when you wake up & have to walk on a cold floor. Even with rugs, it's not as nice as carpet. It's also noisy if you have a double story house (the carpet underlay helps deaden sound) & dust seems to collect on the floor more (or maybe it's just more obvious...hehe).

You can protect your carpet to some degree with rugs but also choosing a suitable colour & fiber will help aid in keeping your carpets looking good & standing up to kids & cleaning.
In the first house I built, we were looking for something for our eldest son's room instead of carpet - he was a bad asthmatic.

Fortunately, he seems to have grown out of his asthma, but that's another story.

We had floor boards through the living areas of the house, but I decided to lay down cork tiles in his room.

They were not quite as cold and hard as floor boards, were easy to lay, and looked great once they were sealed.

Personally - I always like the feel of carpet when I drag my sorry arse out of bed in the morning!
Perry
I love it in my bedroom!
My parents are on a farm and their house floorboards all throughout, most are covered by carpet though. About 10 years ago we did up my bedroom and ripped up the carpet and polished up all the floor boards. I love them. I don't actually find them cold at all. I have a floor rug each side of my bed, but even without standing on that it's not cold.
We are building at the moment and I would have floor boards throughout in a heart beat, but are going half carpet half boards, only really because we got a Dyson a few months ago in preparation for a new house, and it would be a massive waste of $900 if we were to go floor boards everywhere.
I feel compelled to make a strong point about your comment re: asthma, Perry.....

But firstly, YES cork is a very nice comfy surface, and I think cork is a good choice, probably the best IF carpets are not installed. Now back to my point...

I can expound on this later with details and refs but in brief, the association of carpets with asthma/allergies that is commonly held is a gross furphy. That is, carpets do NOT create a trigger for asthmatics and have been proven to be a preferable surface in this respect, despite a number of health professionals and authorities that SHOULD KNOW BETTER. These are propogating simplistic old myths that have been shown to be incorrect.

Allergens affect susceptible people when they are freely airborne. One of the most common allergens is DerP1, a byproduct of dust-mite activity. The bed is normally the major carrier of these allergens. Carpets in the bedroom act as a 'sink' and its fleecy surface collect and hold allergens at floor level, thereby removing allergens from the airspace. Hard surfaces on the floor allow all the dust to freely float around, rarther than be contained.

Whatever surface/s are chosen, the key is in proper maintenance. If you turn on your vacuum cleaner and it smells, you should think about getting a more efficient HEPA vacuum. Any surface that is not maintained properly will become a source of allergens and other toxins in the home.

I know I keep harping on this, but one has to to rebutt the ill-informed choices people make on a basis of unsound information.

Ash.
Not disagreeing on if or not floor boards/tiles/cork/carpet are better for asthmatics, but I am asthmatic and definitley found floor boards better. Don't know the research etc etc done on it, so not disagreeing, just my experience.
Spot
Not disagreeing on if or not floor boards/tiles/cork/carpet are better for asthmatics, but I am asthmatic and definitley found floor boards better. Don't know the research etc etc done on it, so not disagreeing, just my experience.

Hi there Spot,

You're not alone in having this perception or experience. I'd need much more info from you to consider the reasons for your experiences, but I'll try to speculate in general terms.....

Despite what I have stated above, it is true that carpets can become laden with allergens and pollutants, (invariably because of poor maintenance). When a vacuum (with poor filtration) is used, it sucks the stuff from the carpets, the filter bag catches the big bits and all the allergens are then exhausted at high velocity into the air. The asthmatic will likely suffer in this scenario. So, if this old dusty carpet is removed and a fresh new surface replaces it, there will likely be a reduction in symptoms. Does this mean that carpets cause asthma?......... NO! Does it mean that hard surfaces are better?........ NOT NECESSARILY!

To suggest this is to throw out the baby with the dirty water!

There could be all sorts of other factors involved as well. eg....If the old carpets had ever been wet for a few days or more, they may have been mouldy. Mould colonies can release mycotoxins into the air and produce symptoms.

The whole equation of indoor air quality has to do with many factors, beyond what floorcoverings are in the room. So Spot, your conclusions may be due to association with carpets that are not necessarily so, (or at least) there is more to it than 'carpets vs hard floors'!

Then, there are the variables in sensitivity of each individual. Any indoor environment will have certain levels of DerP1 and other allergens. It's when they reach critical levels for the individual that symptoms arise. So, aiming to eradicate dustmites and all allergens is unrealistic and unneccesary in most cases. Even if we did, the individual can't live in a bubble, and would need to be exposed to other 'normal' environments without keeling over.

So, the reasonable approach is to manage a living environment so that dustmite populations and general air quality are kept to moderate levels and don't act as a trigger for those that use the room. There's no good reason why this target can't be achieved with carpets in the bedrooms.

When I have time, I'll post further details in another thread, as I've gas-bagged enough here, and am going on a tangent from the topic anyway.

Ash.
If you've ever lived with a central vac system you'll soon know how good they are for helping asthmatics. My stepson was pretty cronic A, and a central vac helped out heaps with NO dusty air coming back into the house. Needless to say, dragging just a hose around is easy to0...
Steve
Yes, ducted vacs can be very good for the single reason that air is not exhausted back into the home, alleviating the exhaust air quality issues.

BUT I have seen many woeful central vac installations!

Each installation will only be as good as the design and engineering of that specific system. The longer the plumbing and number of elbows in the system, the more airflow drops off. Any air leaks or obstructions in the system can cause poor performance. Bag capacity and design, and vac motor types all play a part in performance.

One common weakness in the installations is lack of thought about placement of the vac unit and airflow from it. Commonly, it is installed into a garage where it exhausts all the allergens. People leave the garage closed while using the unit, so it effectively blows all the dust into this space and enters the house when internal doors are opened anyway!
In other cases, it is fitted in store rooms with little ventilation so the vac motors don't work properly (its like a car running with an exhaust blockage). I've even seen some stupid installations with units mounted in sealed storerooms under staircases. When I opened the door, the room was a dust-bomb trying to escape into the loungeroom!

So, a well designed ducted system will have high capacity motors (measured in air-watts) in a modern large capacity system. This should be located in an area that is protected from weather, but vented to atmosphere where it will not be blown back into the house, (away from doors & windows). It should also be muffled to reduce noise but not restrict airflow.

Finally, one major weakness of ducted systems for carpet maintenence is that they usually don't have a powerhead. It is the revolving bristle powerhead that makes good upright vacuums so efficient. Without the agitation provided by this brush, the vac will not remove embedded dust and contaminants from the carpet, but will just 'lick' the surface.

To be really efficient, a good powerhead should be used on carpets, or a turbo-head called a 'turbo-cat'. The turbo-cat works well as long as it has good airflow to drive it at a decent speed. This is a main reason why a maximum air-watt system is required.

So IF all these design elements are incorporated, this can be the ultimate system. Sadly though, most I've seen aren't that well designed.

Ash.
Agree Ash.

and it's a pity that most purchasers don't know any difference and end up thinking they are not that good.
Some vendor also use cheap pipe that is not specialy designed for a central vac, ie smooth polished inners that provides a smooth non fluff collecting surface, another failing is they do not properly de-burr the inners after they cut a pipe, again making for a place to catch stuff.

I put my unit 10 metres away in the external shed and it was vented to the lee side for the prevailing breeze. Mind you it always gave me a start if I was out there working away and someone used the vac. BJ*****ses What was that.

So with all of that, combined with your power head info, we now all know what we need to keep our carpets clean, and enjoy life, and timber floors in the bedroom,???
We'll the choice is your's perthgirl

Cheers
Steve
Yep, its the same old, same old, same old story!..................

Consumers buy a product (carpet, vac system, whatever) without understanding its proper function or performance parameters, abuse it, and then rubbish it.

Well at least forums such as this help to reduce ignorance and misinformation, for those that are intelligent enough to seek out such info before making their decisions.

Let us know how you get on Perthgirl!

Ash.
What was her questiopn again????
LOL Michelle....

I think we need one of these

Matt
Even I've forgotten what my original question was!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only joking! Its great to hear people's differing opinions on carpet (and vac systems!!)

Nat
Related
6/07/2023
Engineered Timber Flooring Vs Solid Timber

General Discussion

Engineering timber is certainly a less fuss option, times cheaper to supply and install and better withstands humidity.

21/01/2024
Bedrooms

Interior Decorating Lounge

Hi, Have fun, remember bedrooms should feel relaxing and inviting, the last space you see before sleep and the first you see when you wake up. Make sure it makes you…

6/07/2023
Hebel Flooring PLUS Insulation or Not?

General Discussion

1000000% definitely add insulation. I have in my home and it makes a big difference minimising sound transfer. Insulation is pretty cheap and definitely worth it

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum