Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Karndean Vs Tiles

Page 2 of 2
steveo247
nah dont know..
we have karndean at home tho with my dog ?

Steveo.. you don't have a dog... you have a hampster on a lead.

Any pics of your Karndean? How long has yours been down?

Jo
roger is bound by no lead ! he is a free range dog..

no pics of mine, will try to get some but theres so much **** in the room there in that they are hard to see.
only been down 3 or 4 years..
Roger??

lmfao

LOVE THE KARNDEAN!!
We had Karndean throughout the previous house we got built. No carpet or tiles on the floor at all.

Here are a few pics.. master room into the ensuite (note no tiles in ensuite floor)

Sons bedroom

[IMG]
Kitchen

P.s. Joles ... we had a boxer (dog) inside with no problems. We had the Karndean, grandewood longstrip, wideplank in american oak (I think). It had a textured surface. nonslip too.
We built and lived in this house for 3.5 yrs and absolutely loved the karndean. We also have had MANY children live/play here as well. I am a child carer from home as well as foster carer... so the children were ummm ....not always respectful of our floorcoverings..if you know what I mean..
Seakyl….that floor looks fantastic with the white walls!

I would have no problems at all laying Karndean in a wet area; your en-suit looks very nice.
Thanks Michelle, that was our house that we sold in July. The wall colour is a colour matched to the laminex moleskin colour. We are going with a vinyl floor plank again in this build. but cannot afford karndean this time.. so we will be getting 'casa- by gerflor'
is that just a fancy name for lino? or is it different?
wakeboardandy
is that just a fancy name for lino? or is it different?

Yeah, thats what I was wondering. Have looked at their sites and apart from not coming in one big roll, I can't see a lot of difference.
Jo - we have two large dogs (38 and 45kg) - maybe not as big as yours!

We definitely wanted timber flooring for most of the house (carpet in lounge, bedrooms and tiles in wet areas), and have found a great product that I am confident will be fine with the dogs and something we won't need to be at all precious about.

It is a hand scraped oak floating floor, imported from USA and available through Smarter Floorworld in Cheltenham. They say they are the only place which has it and we didn't find it anywhere else. Just came across it by chance. It is not a gloss finish (which is mostly what scratches on lots of floors) and has some texture to it. It really does look like you could do anything to it and marks wouldn't be obvious - but it still looks great.

I haven't taken photos of my tiles etc yet for the blog, but will get onto that today or tomorrow. So there will be a photo up there soon - although won't really do it justice I imagine.

If you really are keen on floorboards I would recommend checking it out. There are a few finishes and colours available. We were lucky to get the end of a batch that was the amount we needed that they had reduced, so came in at $120psm laid, compared to about $160ish (depends on US$ unfortunately). So we have paid half the cost already to get that batch even though house only just started. So yes it would be an expensive option.

Happy to provide more info if you like. I will take a photo shortly.
--
Related
3/07/2023
Cause of damp along slab and patio tiles

General Discussion

Firstly the ableflex that has been installed needs (manufactures specification) a sealant cap over the top, preventing water draining down between the slab and the…

19/07/2023
Spare Monier Tudor Barrummandi concrete tiles

General Discussion

Our house was completed 8 years ago. Builder did not leave any spare roof tiles behind. Just found out that one tile is cracked. Wanted to replace the tile but most…

17/08/2023
Carpet in the bedroom vs Tiles vs Hybrid Flooring

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi Yash, Have you made a decision yet?

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum