Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Bizarre(?) Idea re tiles

Page 1 of 1
OK here goes. I have small mosaic ceramic tiles throughout my wet areas and I fully realise that they are naff, outdated, unfashionable etc which bothers me not at all. They are sound and in perfect condition and I just can't face the hassle of replacing them.

(Thanks Michelle for the contact re getting the grout updated, which will hopefully solve one annoying aspect of them.)

However. . . although mainly white the floors are interspersed with random dark brown tiles. They are very small, about 4cm square. Now, is it totally unrealistic to suggest that maybe a tiler could remove just these brown tiles and replace with a same size tile in either a matching white or even a cream or similar? Would that be incredibly fiddly?

I COULD live with them as is and if the alternative is to just rip them all up and re tile then I will have to do that.
Hi,

In the house we bought the owners lived there for 36 years and he was a tiler, in our downtairs laundry and bathroom he saved all the off cuts from jobs he did in the 60's and used them all to do the floor. It looks horrible they range from little mosac tiles to I would 10cm x 10 cm in horrid colours from nasty browns to fluro greens.

Our builder said to save them having to jackhammer them off that any good tiler should be able to lay new tiles straight over the top and even put in a new drain! Maybe if you arent worried about the floor being slightly higher perhaps this could be an option for you?

We have done new tiles over old tiles many times b4 and have absolutly no problems and in the situations where the tiled area was higher we just put one of those silver stips to make it a little slop.

Hope this helps.
Oh I wish I still had that option of tiling over! I have done a really DUMB thing and had new security doors fitted, so as this floor leads directly to the outside and the door, it would raise it too high and then I would probably have to get the door taken off and reduced etc They were not cheap and it would be just a pain. I really didn't think through the "order of work" thingy very well!
There are companies that will recoat your tile so that they are, for example, all white. Not sure if the coating woudl work well on a floor.

It look into the option.
A company came in to quote on bathroom fixture recoating/refinishing and they do wall tiles with a 5 year guarantee and do floor tiles too but with only a two year guarantee because of the wear and traffic. Not really a good or longterm solution.
Yes I agree coatings on non porous surfaces will not last

Craig
Related
20/09/2023
Zero Lot Issue & Need Idea

General Discussion

You must be new to the internet. You're also the only person anyone here has ever heard of washing their garage wall. I hate to break it to you, there are insects and…

3/07/2023
Cause of damp along slab and patio tiles

General Discussion

Firstly the ableflex that has been installed needs (manufactures specification) a sealant cap over the top, preventing water draining down between the slab and the…

19/07/2023
Spare Monier Tudor Barrummandi concrete tiles

General Discussion

Our house was completed 8 years ago. Builder did not leave any spare roof tiles behind. Just found out that one tile is cracked. Wanted to replace the tile but most…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum