Join Login
Building ForumWindow Furnishings

Vertical blind for sliding doors

Page 1 of 3
I need a vertical blind over a 2.2m sliding door.
The blind needs to slide into Right HS.

Now, where to place the control chain/cord:
a) On the opposite side (on left hand side); This way the cords will always be very close to the handle and always visible and maybe even "in the way". Good is that you could pull them from outside easily to get back in (if needed)
b) On the same side (RHS). This way the cords are always 'hidden" and nothing is in the way. BUT, not possible to open the blind from outside.

As you can see, it's a huge dilemma!!!

How would / did you do it?
We've got a wand which pushes / pulls the blind either way and turns it. We don't have chains at the bottom.
^Thanks! Are you happy with how it operates?
And without the chains at the bottom - any dramas in breeze?

Anyone else can offer theoir thoughts?
^ Yes, very happy. We had the same thing at our old house and wouldn't want to go with chains / cords. I've seen so many places with the chains at the bottom and they seem to break very easily or unhook.

There is a weight sewn into the bottom of each of our 'blades' which makes them hang heavily and stay where they are supposed to. If I've got the door open I pull them back so there's no hassle with them blowing in the breeze.
Thanks
I have the same dilemma. Open side for ease of use or close side for concealment? May go the wand way (except my sliding door opening is almost 4 metres!)

However, I like the chains on the bottom. The curtains come to a standstill quicker after opening or closing. If the chains do break, just change them every 10 years. Quick and easy.
Hi Casa

Yep, I saw there are chains in several different sizes. There are chrome ones too, I'm thinking they could look great if you have some other chrome/silver things (eg. lights), plus they should be less prone to smog deposits

And yep again, I almost changed my mind to the wand for the same reason ... but now back to the original feeling
GEEZ !
I wish I could decide.

And I have almost forgotten why not the wand! I think I would forever hate it, worrying I'd break the glass with it and constantly forgetting it's there and mishandling it! I had a terrible experience with some heavy curtains with large wands - not for me!!
Unless the new age wands are much lighter ...

Oh yeah, the other thing - I thought that a wand would be too "weak" for a large blind (but they are great for small blinds IMO).
I think the wands are plastic tipped. Should be hard to break the glass.

The only downside that I imagine with the wands is that they stick out when the blinds a re fully open and that they may not work well with very large runs.
Exactly my thoughts.

Now I'm thinking, since our doors are only 2.2m, and we'll only need to open the blind on half of that (max) for everyday use, perhaps the wand could work for us.

Our door opening is one side, the other side is fixed. Are yours the same, or maybe it opens in the middle? Maybe you also only need to "uncover" max half of the whole blind width for everyday use??
In fact, that's probably right
... ??
Yes, door on one side and fixed on the other. Since there's a nice outlook from the large sliding door, I would open the vertical blinds fully. In fact that's how they would be 90% of the time - fully open (with the wand dangling out somewhat
).

Main time to close the blinds is in summer late afternoons when the sun streams into the house, heating it and making it difficult to sit in certain places.
Casa2
Yes, door on one side and fixed on the other. Since there's a nice outlook from the large sliding door, I would open the vertical blinds fully. In fact that's how they would be 90% of the time - fully open (with the wand dangling out somewhat
)

The wand sits next to the first blade whether the verticals are opened or closed.
When the blinds are fully open (both angled and extent) then the wand sticks out about 50 mm from the end of the stack. Not the best of looks.
@catjim
So, not dangling around? How long is it, more than half the door height??
Is it that heavy or strong that it could break the glass?

What colour is yours?
Our blind would be white, so I'm thinking the transparent one ?!
Wand control with chainless bottom weights!
We always recommend this combination to our customers as its most practical for larger doors. If you have bottom chains, as the blinds slide across the chain can get tangled in the door channels etc...

If you have wand control, the wand will slide across with the blades,so it wont be that visible..
No it's not dangling around. It stays very close to the first blade.

It's around 800 - 900mm long and I can't imagine that it would ever break the glass.

Blind closed

Blind open
Ritchie
Wand control with chainless bottom weights!
We always recommend this combination to our customers as its most practical for larger doors. If you have bottom chains, as the blinds slide across the chain can get tangled in the door channels etc...

If you have wand control, the wand will slide across with the blades,so it wont be that visible..

Exactly what we've got and I wouldn't EVER consider chains and pull cords.
That looks nice. The ones I saw at Luxaflex stick out about half a blind. Your's look good.
Wow, that is nice, catjim! Are they 89mm or 127mm?

Also, are you happy with the amount of overlap for the slats? I saw some examples where they appear to only overlap by some 10mm, which is not enough in my mind (especially with thinner slats)!

Also heard that blinds with sewn-in weights close better (ie. slats are closer / light gaps between the slats are much thinner) because those weights are not as thick as the other 2 types, so they allow for the slats to sit closer when blind is close like a blockout. Is that true for your blind?
Lex, I have 2 sets of panel glides, would you consider them ISO verticals?

The larger doors are 3600 wide and have 5 sections of blind all controlled with a wand. Easy!
Our wand has broken despite careful handling after less than 3 years. The connection has come loose and although it can be reattached it comes off when the blind is knocked etc. I wish we didn't have them. Love our chain less weighted blind segments though.
Related
14/05/2023
Sliding Doors

General Discussion

we have a standard size and often we have a lot of variety to choose

15/06/2023
Sliding doors

Windows & Doors

We are looking for sliding doors which are 5 metres tall. There are a few European options. Any manufacturers in Australia or distributors?

5/09/2023
Sliding doors direction

General Discussion

Pls help! The black marks show where our outdoor entertaining area would be along side of house as we have an irregular backyard and want to make use of the side as…

You are here
Building ForumWindow Furnishings
Home
Pros
Forum