Join Login
Building ForumSoft Furnishings

Removing chocolate stain from upholstery

Page 1 of 1
Well, it's happened !
My grandson got chocolate on my fabric bar stool
.Guess I should be grateful I got 18 months of 'stain-freedom' out of them

I found this for getting it off - what do you think ?

1. Mix 1 teaspoon dishwashing liquid and 1 cup warm water in a bowl or bucket.
2. Blot solution onto couch or upholstery stain.
3. Rinse the solution and stain from the upholstery by blotting on, until no more solution is appearing in your rinse water.
4. Rinse with solution of one-half cup white vinegar and one-half cup warm water.
5. If any residue remains, repeat this step until the smudge disappears.

Happy to take on alternatives that have worked for you !
Southies I can't blame DGS because I only have DGD's but it wasn't them with the chocolate....it was me!!! ROFLMHO!! About a week ago I was nibbling on a piece of chocolate while watching TV and the next day noticed a piece had broken off and must have landed where I sat on it and it melted onto the lounge fabric. I just used a microfibre cloth and dipped it in water and sponged the chocolate until it transferred onto the microfibre cloth and repeated a few times using a clean section of cloth each time, finally rinsed the cloth and wrung it out and blotted the lounge cushion. Didn't use anything special, just water.....heat will set stains so I always use cold water. Can't even see where it was now!!

If plain water doesn't do the trick then you could try the dishwashing liquid...mix it with water first as detergents can stain if not diluted...but I would only use cold water.

Hope this helps?
HC_au, so sorry
. I did read your post as soon as I got the email notification & was going to reply at a later date but then accidentally deleted the email & therefore forgot to reply

Thank you for the advice
. Haven't yet done it. To be honest, I'm a little apprehensive to try anything as the fabric is a light colour & worried that I'll make it worse
. But hey! I guess I need to try something & your suggestion sounds good to me.
Might try it this weekend
That's Ok those things happen to all of us at times. LOL

My lounge is a light taupe but as the fabric is polyester I knew it would be OK as long as I didn't put hot water on it, but then I prefer to wash everything in cold water as it causes less problems with stains or excess dye.

If you have an old white towel (or other very light colour) to blot away the excess water it won't leave a watermark...white towel because dye from the towel won't transfer to the fabric and cause a secondary stain. If the fabric has a nap, brush it in one direction rather than in circles.

Dishwashing detergent is good because it's designed for oil/greasy stuff in the kitchen and will dissolve the oil in the chocolate, although I don't use Palmolive (dark green) because the green dye can stain too.

Once you've removed the chocolate and when the fabric is completely dry, have you thought about spraying the stools with Scotchgard? When my kids were 2 & 4 yo we bought a velvet lounge and treated it with Scotchgard so we didn't need to panic about spills etc. It comes in a spray can but it is advisable to spray outdoors...it's really stinky and overpowering, but once dry the smell is gone. Just might save the chocolate hands next time~~!!

HappyCamper_au
Once you've removed the chocolate and when the fabric is completely dry, have you thought about spraying the stools with Scotchgard?

Oh brother
, why didn't I think of that when I bought them
. I have a can in my laundry cupboard
ROFLMHO !!!
HappyCamper_au
ROFLMHO !!!

Related
3/09/2023
Natural stone- stain removal and gloss sealing

General Discussion

Hi, planning on using the attached stone pieces in my bathroom. I want to remove stains and gloss seal. Can I get some advice on best way to remove stains and best…

29/01/2024
Anyone know the process to stain axon cladding

Building A New House

The most definitive answer to your question James is this taken from the James Hardie Axon Cladding Installation Guide - i just happen to have it…

24/05/2023
Removing gyprock from besser block wall

Kitchen Splashbacks

Thanks again, appreciate the advice

You are here
Building ForumSoft Furnishings
Home
Pros
Forum