Join Login
Building ForumBuying Land

Getting Really Worried

Page 1 of 1
In our haste to secure a piece of land in an area where blocks are snapped up before the area is even cleared and some new subdivisions sell the land by ballot, and most new subdivisions are reclaimed swampland, we have choosen a block on a slope which will require some siteworks. Although the land won't be ready until May/June we have already done the rounds of building companies presenting them with the plan of the land and cannot believe the wildly differing costs we have been quoted to acheive a flat building platform. We have been told by one large company 'our engineers went all over that block as someone else was interested' then proceeded to quote a huge amount. 'But', I thought, 'the land has literally a mountain of dirt on it so how could your engineers have possibly been over it?' Others have looked and brushed the contour aside as 'no problem, probably only be a couple of grand'. My question is, do we have to have the work done by the company building the house or are their independent earthworkers who can prepare the site before the builders move onto it? If so, is this a cheaper option?
Why dont you hire a Geotech engineer and firm up a contour? At this stage you are only guessing.
Some builders will allow you to do the earthworks yourself, get 3 quotes
Generally 3 are cheaper than 1..if you get my gist
If the builder is happy to sign up to fixed site costs then get them to do that if they are really confident.

Crazyk
If the builder is happy to sign up to fixed site costs then get them to do that if they are really confident.

Yes, my husband is going to get our lawyer to write up a contract to present to whatever house builder we choose requesting a fixed price for siteworks not-with-standing finding a massive rock under the house platform. Don't know if they will wear it but the firm we are keen on put the idea in his head by mentioning we could put in clauses relating to siteworks.
StructuralBIMGuy
Why dont you hire a Geotech engineer and firm up a contour? At this stage you are only guessing.
Some builders will allow you to do the earthworks yourself, get 3 quotes
Generally 3 are cheaper than 1..if you get my gist

I am keen on using an independent, but have no idea where to start. I wouldn't even know what to look under in the phone book!
I doubt you will find any builder that will sign up to a custom contract.
You'll just have to make amendments to the HIA one

LOL, Does anyone even use The yellow pages anymore?
Send an email to Engineers Australia or one of the other professional engineering bodies.. ask for assistance in contacting a local member.
Builders only use Standard Contracts HIA,MBA,etc. because the majority of clients arent legal experts nor should they be forced to hire them..there are safeguards within these standard contracts.These contracts favour the builder..knowing how is the secret
Checklist and things to avoid
1.Read and understand all contract documents..if you are not sure ask for advice.
2.Sort out issues straight away..Avoid ' Someone will sort that out later...Later comes and goes but nothing gets done
3.These days with software, negligence is easy to prove ... before and after any major catastrophes.
4.Take comprehesive and clear photos if you need an engineering checklist leave a PM (as I find most jobs are different) discerning clients visit their site more often than any one else.
5.As an Engineer I find clients ask questions all the time, I use a lot of simplified 3D engineering design details, so on site they know exactly what to look out for, empowering people.

OT. Ive attached basic engineering details that I used for a project.. stairs can quite often be complicated but when designed and engineered properly..(Some are Works of Art).

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1132 ... 2309663233

I designed these stairs to fit a clients BUDGET and special request for a Unique Aggregate
I was instructed to Simplify

the Design, WD & Specis,Quants,Engineering & construction drawings at the clients request
LOL..the House was going to be built around these stairs. Equiped will all this information the client successfully negotiated (I mean grind) the price down to what was a fair price.
I suggest once you have the contour and Geo report you do the same...Designing Siteworks is a walk in the park compared to designing stairs.
Thanks for listening
Crazyk

Yes there is a place for it under special conditions, it's just a matter of negotiation.
building-expert
Crazyk

Yes there is a place for it under special conditions, it's just a matter of negotiation.

I think if anyone is reluctant to sign then its probably best not to deal with them. If they don't want to sign then perhaps they aren't been upfront about their 'hidden' costs. We understand that is they find a big rock underneath the site then there will be costs, what we do want is an option to opt out of building with them if they recommend unreasonable earthworks (seriously considering hiring an independent engineer). A friend negiotiated with their building firm and got the siteworks reduced by $2500.00 which just goes to show a quote doesn't necessarily reflect the true cost.
Great advice from 1st -timers

If it does not feel right don't do it, listen to your gut.
Related
24/10/2023
Really really bad window installation

Windows & Doors

do not pay until you are satisfied with workmanship windows require flashing over the head archithrave and up under weatherboards

19/08/2023
Getting decking ready to sell the place

Landscape & Garden Design

Use a product like Equisol's Vitalise to clean the deck then coat with a penetrating timber oil. It will look 10 years younger and add value to your home. Visit for…

30/08/2023
Changing selections after getting bank loan

General Discussion

How much are you ahead in payments compared to where the build is at? Have you fully drawn down the loan?

You are here
Building ForumBuying Land
Home
Pros
Forum