Join Login
Building ForumBuying Land

Land. How much did you pay?

Page 25 of 27
291k for 536m2 plumpton nsw sept 13
Paid $420k for 545m2 in Kellyville, land registered last month but contracts exchanged June 2013, has been a long wait!
CountryHome
Woweee! Some of these prices are incredible.
We paid a small percentage of what most ppl in here have paid for a 1000sqm block. I'm a bit embarrassed to say how cheap it was!
Just goes to show it's location, location, location! (And that not many people want to or are able to live and work in small country towns!).

I know exactly how you feel Country Home. We paid $98K for 1100m2 in rural vic. I'm over the moon we could get that much at that price, because we had no budget to be going much bigger/more expensive.
HansenintheHills, great purchase. You've probably made $100k on the land alone in that time between contract and settlement! Would be going for about $1000 per sqm nowadays.
My partner and I bought 40750 sqm block at Jimboomba (about 40km south of brisbane) for $260k about 18months ago, just waiting for paperwork from council now to start building
Congrats Booy... I'm owner building down at Jimboomba myself...only 4661 sqm though.
BooY
My partner and I bought 40750 sqm block at Jimboomba (about 40km south of brisbane) for $260k about 18months ago, just waiting for paperwork from council now to start building

BooY oh BooY, that's not a block. You bought a suburb mate

Many congrats, pretty sure it would be very exciting time for you guys.
$180,000 for 330,000m2 about 10 years ago.
$189 000 for 670sqm , highton geelong, 7 mins from geel cbd, 4 mins from highton shops, 7 mins from theatres major centres, 2 mins from highway taking 45 minutes to melb cbd,3 mins from several of geelongs finest schools, 7-20 minutes from varying beaches, 20 minutes from Jetstar airport.
We paid $1044 per sqm last year in February. Land, of the same quality in the same area, is now selling for over $1500 per sqm. By quality, I am talking about the ability to use all of the land without major site costs. There's quite a number of weirdly shaped blocks for less as well as rocky and/or hilly land for less.. but for the kind of land we got, it's quite expensive now.. even back when we got it, it wasn't cheap.. but now it's ludicrously expensive.
$870,000 for a KDR on 750m2 in Sydney (about 45 minutes south of the CBD)

Beetaloo

Surely a typo or have you your own mini state
Joker
Beetaloo

Surely a typo or have you your own mini state

My mistake, small typo, should be 34 hectares = 340,000m2.

The land is not serviced though. A lot of work and cost to bring in services and to construct an access track.

My nearest neighbour is about 1km from my build site.

Hopefully this means that I will not have any of the issues that Bpratt is having with his neighbour.
Beetaloo
My mistake, small typo, should be 34 hectares = 340,000m2.
The land is not serviced though. A lot of work and cost to bring in services and to construct an access track.

That's awesome. Just out of curiosity, what services are you going to bring in there? Are you building an off-grid setup from an electricity point of view, for one?
$98,000 for a 918m2 block in old quinns rocks (approx 30kms north of Perth) with Ocean Views in Dec 1998. Still haven't built on it before the GFC bank valued it at $660,000 these days I reckon it's closer $480k
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what services are you going to bring in there? Are you building an off-grid setup from an electricity point of view, for one?

I have brought in mains power from my nearest neighbour's supply. However I have my own electricity meter. It is a weak supply (32amp) so I have to minimise my electrical demand.

There is a high voltage power line crossing the middle of my property but the cost for me to get a low voltage connection was excessive.
Beetaloo
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what services are you going to bring in there? Are you building an off-grid setup from an electricity point of view, for one?

I have brought in mains power from my nearest neighbour's supply. However I have my own electricity meter. It is a weak supply (32amp) so I have to minimise my electrical demand.

There is a high voltage power line crossing the middle of my property but the cost for me to get a low voltage connection was excessive.

That's really interesting to me. What cost are we talking? Less/more than 50k? What's the ballpark figure for having that done? I assume they'd have to build a transformer box on your land and all that stuff.

What would be the cost to create a solar farm on your land?
Quote:
What cost are we talking? Less/more than 50k? What's the ballpark figure for having that done? I assume they'd have to build a transformer box on your land and all that stuff.

When one requires an electricity supply outside a township i.e. for a bush block in a rural location (at least in SA), one must pay the full cost of provision of the electricity supply.

I my case, even though high voltage power lines crossed my property, I would have had to pay for an extension of the high voltage line and a step down transformer. This cost was estimated to be about $30,000.

Several of my neighbours are off-grid because their build sites were remote from suitable power lines.
Their quotes were in the range of $70,000 to $100,000. An extension to a high voltage power line could cost $100,000 per km. This may be complicated by the need to get easements across other peoples properties.

Some people may not like overhead power lines as it spoils their view. Undergrounding high voltage power lines could cost double or more.

To go off grid means making changes to your lifestyle in so far as reducing peak electrical power demand. I.E. having a solar passive house, no or little air-conditioning nor electric heating and not having an all electric kitchen. Using a clothes line instead of electric dryer etc.

Going off grid is probably best dealt with in the Eco forum.
$172,000 for 331sqm in Byford WA. 45kms from CBD
Related
1/04/2024
Custom builder or pay for own floor plan and take to builder

Building A New House

Hi Mofflepop, I would recommend finding a building designer to prepare plans, they should design to your specified budget. The benefit is you can tender the project out…

29/09/2023
What did this fireplace look like and restoration suggestion

General Discussion

No the fireplace doesn’t work. It’s been enclosed. I’m not sure what was removed, as it was done quite some time ago - well before what I can see with photos online…

You are here
Building ForumBuying Land
Home
Pros
Forum