Join Login
Building ForumPools & Spas

Pool pump (s) not working

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

I've had a bit of a frustrating time getting my pool pump going over the last few months.

One day I switched on the pool pump and it gave out a humming noise and wouldnt start. Its' a Fasco Aquadrive 1100 and over 5 years old at least.

I managed to pick up a second hand Fasco Aquadrive 1500 for $50 so I decided to replace the 1100 rather than try and repair especially as my pool could do with a more powerful pump.

The pump worked great for a couple of weeks, but low and behold one morning I switched it on and it didnt start with the same humming noise!

On research it appears this could be due to the start capacitors failing in the pumps.

Has anyone had this issue or could advise? I assuming if it is the capacitors , there may be electrical surge protection needed?
As these pool pumps are no longer available, is there a generic capacitor that I could use to replace?

Cheers
Chris

Hi SeeBee

When you turn the pump on and its humming, get a flat head screwdriver and turn the propeller manually, there should be a flat slot on the outside of the pump housing where the propeller is... it could just be jamming and needs a kick start. its located on the side (bottom of each of your photos) take care though, if it fires up, it might fling your scewdriver out of your hand.

Thanks
Pool Owners
Thank you. It ended up being a blown capacitor but might have originated from a jammed propeller. Appreciate the response.
no worries, did you get a brand new pump or did u get the capacitor replaced
I just replaced the capacitor
Related
23/03/2024
Fridge Freezer not working after trying to run on Generator

Kitchen Appliances

I had a similar issue with my fridge not too long ago. It wasn't the same model, but the symptoms were pretty much the same: the compressor would start and then stop…

17/01/2024
Ethernet ports for my new home aren’t working

General Discussion

Okay sorry silly me, my wife has solves the mystery for me. It’s because the labels on the ports are all wrongly positioned by the builder hence it confuses me.

You are here
Building ForumPools & Spas
Home
Pros
Forum