Join Login
Building ForumPools & Spas

Fiberglass Pool Bleaching under the water line

Page 5 of 5
I would ask for anyone opinion - if you remove some of the gel coat to remove the oxidation - are you compromising the gel coat going forward - I guess my question is - am I damaging the pool more trying to get the cosmetic pleasing appearance back - thank you
I don’t think the gel coat restorer with a buffer will work (it didn’t for me) it’s meant to restore the finish on a fibreglass boat hull - not strip off chlorine bleached gel coat from a pool wall.

How do I send photos on this site?
TPG
I don’t think the gel coat restorer with a buffer will work (it didn’t for me) it’s meant to restore the finish on a fibreglass boat hull - not strip off chlorine bleached gel coat from a pool wall.

How do I send photos on this site?

Thanks - going to try your procedure - I believe there are some options when you reply to a post including attachment - But have not done before - do you mind if ask another question once I try a section next week?
Sure.
And I’ll be interested in any replies to your general post (about long term damage)
The gel coat is quite thick and I assume you are only removing very little with very fine sanding.

But I felt like I had nothing to lose. I’m not sanding through to the actual fibreglass
TPG
Sure.
And I’ll be interested in any replies to your general post (about long term damage)
The gel coat is quite thick and I assume you are only removing very little with very fine sanding.

But I felt like I had nothing to lose. I’m not sanding through to the actual fibreglass

Thanks this. After posting on this forum a long time ago I had given up. Based on your post I will this a go this summer. I’ll share my results too. Thanks again for sharing!
TPG
Sure.

Hi - just looking for an update - I did a section last summer - wondering if your area is still holding up - thanks
I have calcium or bleaching. I took a vitamin c pill, cut it in half, and rubbed a white area above the waterline. Surprisingly it did a fairly good job of removing the white. I can’t clean my whole pool with half a pill. Does anyone have any thoughts on a different way I could use vitamin C to clean the pool. Not joking. The pill really did work.
The vitamin C pill is basically just ascorbic acid. Many pool shops sell stain removers that are essentially just ascorbic acid for the purpose you described above. They're pretty decent for copper looking stains (as per https://pooladvisor.com.au/blog/remove- ... ns-in-pool). Go ahead and buy some and see if it works!
This issue is also happening in Victoria to me! I would like to know how many of you with this issue has a electric heat pump pool heater connected running through the sanitizer ?
I installed a new pool heat pump to my pool about a year ago and I'm sure that's when I started seeing my pool stain in the white substance all around the pool floor and walls.

I also think having a pool heater connected through the sanitizer does spike up chlorine levels but not sure.

interested to know how many of you have pool heaters connected.

also has anyone made any advances in resolving this issue?

Thanks for your time.
I have been installing automated systems only for 4 years now and havnt had a single problem . Running a heater without orp sensors is a a accident waiting to happen
Related
30/10/2023
Running irrigation line under footpath (next to home)

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all I am looking to run a water line under my concrete footpath which is directly next to my home, was seeing if this is possible without cutting the entire section…

17/06/2023
Modular above ground pool over Private Sewer line

General Discussion

Hi everyone, Looking for some advise. We are about to build an above ground pool in our backyard. There is a private sewer line running under the pool at 1.6m…

2/05/2023
gas line re-purposed to water main?

Building A New House

thanks Simeon appreciate your input.

You are here
Building ForumPools & Spas
Home
Pros
Forum