Join Login
Building ForumPools & Spas

Fiberglass Pool Bleaching under the water line

Page 3 of 5
How have you been monitoring the chlorine levels and how often?
every month before complaint and since then Every day (at pool shop) I have maintained a very detailed spreadsheet of these levels and calcaulated that the warrenty levles stated by the pool manufacturer cannot be met. (hence the warranty being geared to fail since day one) also if you go to different pool shops they have different ranges . And obvioulsy when you are a new pool owner just go by what you are told to put in. We are lucky we have a great pool shop. But I think the pool shops get a lot of the balme when it should be on the pool manufacturers. As when do you see a pool mnaufactuer offering 12/24 months free pool service when you buy your pool - NEVER,(and if you do- I would recomend any one looking to buy a pool go with them) as they know if anything goes wrong they can blame it on the pool owner. So upset .
pool shops are motivated to sell you products.
combined with poor training and tests conducted under artifical lighting
invest in a quality test kit
fas-dpd using taylor reagents
how are you chlorinating your pool
and what are your latest results, even though they are not reliable it may yield some clues
what are your daughters symptoms as it is almost certainly a chemical balance issue in the water, not the pool itself
This is very interesting so many people with around same age pools are having problems. Our pool is now 3yrs old and it's getting worse and our chlorine levels have been fine and we haven't used our pool blanket in over 12 months as we are too scared to in case this is contributing to the problem. If you look carefully at our pool sides under the water, it certain light, can see like a mixture of colour almost shiny surface but is patchy where like the coating has worn off. When our water level drops too low, we now have a white ring around the pool. I daresay if we drained water ours would also look like previous photos.

Riverina came out, said it was too much chlorine, blamed us and told us to sand paper which we haven't. How can it be chlorine though when our levels are fine and it's getting worse?

What can we do about this as a group?
In WA and have a 5 year old fibreglass pool by Riverina.

After the first year I noticed the waterline starting to devolope a white ring, tried scrubbing it off but would not budge. Thought no more of it and left it.

3 years later had some spa jets put in which required me drain the pool down half way, was absolutely shocked that the surface that looked blue when under water now looks chalky white when uncovered. The guy doing the jets said he had never seen anything like it in his 20 yrs in the pool business.

Called Riverina and a guy (can't remeber if he said he was the owner or manager of the particular office he came from, was a crusty old dude) came out to have a look. Firstly he said it was "plating" which was described to me as the deposition of calcium onto the pool wall due to the high lime content in Perth water, then he proceeded to blame the use of pool covers (which is ironic as they sold it to me and it is compulsory in WA), then he said my chlorine level had been run too high over a long period of time. I questioned the last one as I deliberately run my chlorine levels low (test myself regularly with a FAS dpd kit and cross check monthly with pool shop), he got angry and left telling me that it was a non issue and cosmetic only.

I have never received such a complete lack of customer service in my life. I dutifully read my pool contract and the SPASA warranty several times and concluded that it was designed to protect the pool company and that to pursue the matter with Riverina may be more trouble than its worth as I suspect a negative outcome will be the result.

I have tried to clean/sand small patches but the issue is definitely not surface, it is thru the pool gel coats. I also tried a calcium removal kit but it did stuff all, the company I got it from said no way its calcium if the kit didn't remove it (but lots of snake oil salesmen in this industry, so take that response with a grain of salt).

Found this thread and the ligthbulb went off, people in Perth with pools purchased around a similar time all having the same problem. An issue with the materials used during manufacture stands out like a sore thumb, I bet there are only a few suppliers for gel coat materials in Perth (bad batch for a while maybe).
Anyway, commiserations to fellow sufferers, and now my pool:

And yes it goes all the way down.
venno
Anyway, commiserations to fellow sufferers, and now my pool:

And yes it goes all the way down.

Yes sounds exactly like our story and exactly the same response as you from the Managing Director from Riverina Pools that came out. It's disgusting they're allowed to get away with this, as it's a definite fault with their product, the gel coat. I remember them telling us it was a new product so guess it was a faulty one. Their warranty is useless and so that leaves all us pool owners with lots of money spent for a disappointing product.
KazBoo
This is very interesting so many people with around same age pools are having problems. Our pool is now 3yrs old and it's getting worse and our chlorine levels have been fine and we haven't used our pool blanket in over 12 months as we are too scared to in case this is contributing to the problem. If you look carefully at our pool sides under the water, it certain light, can see like a mixture of colour almost shiny surface but is patchy where like the coating has worn off. When our water level drops too low, we now have a white ring around the pool. I daresay if we drained water ours would also look like previous photos.

Riverina came out, said it was too much chlorine, blamed us and told us to sand paper which we haven't. How can it be chlorine though when our levels are fine and it's getting worse?

HI kazboo,

I have a similar problem with my pool. Its almost 3 years old and the walls are starting to fade. Mine is from Barrier reef pools in WA. Did you have any luck with your pool?
No we have got nowhere at all..a person messaged me through here saying there's class action happening but I can't get in contact with them, the person is not replying to my emails.

I've given up for now as not sure What else to do! It's very frustrating.

quote="MissMia"]
KazBoo
This is
very interesting so many people with around same age pools are having problems. Our pool is now 3yrs old and it's getting worse and our chlorine levels have been fine and we haven't used our pool blanket in over 12 months as we are too scared to in case this is contributing to the problem. If you look carefully at our pool sides under the water, it certain light, can see like a mixture of colour almost shiny surface but is patchy where like the coating has worn off. When our water level drops too low, we now have a white ring around the pool. I daresay if we drained water ours would also look like previous photos.

HI kazboo,

I have a similar problem with my pool. Its almost 3 years old and the walls are starting to fade. Mine is from Barrier reef pools in WA. Did you have any luck with your pool?[/quote]
Looks like I'm another victim of Barrier Reef WA. I got my pool 2 years ago and now my pool is all white. Apparently the managing director is going to come look at my pool but still waiting. When I called them they didn't seem to know about this issue but its starting to sounds like they know exactly what the issue is.
Hello,

Stumbled upon this thread whilst investigation my own issue. I believe I have the same issue and sympathise with you all.

Inherited my pool with a new home in 2015. The pool was commission by Freedom Pools in March 2014. I live in SA but i know Freedom operate in WA and QLD too.

I noticed bleaching first in mid-2017 - so three years after installation. It appears to have worsened since then. I've had no luck with the manufacturer at this stage, with the same diagnosis provided - chlorine bleaching.

I've attached a couple of photos. In one of them, if you look carefully you can see that the problem stretches right below the water line and onto the first step (and it goes right to the bottom of the pool).

I am not interested in pursuing a warranty claim as I expect that will be a futile exercise. I'm really interested to hear any thoughts or experiences for two things:

1. What is the best method to address? I've seen some posts regarding sanding or cut and polish. I would love to hear actual experiences of doing this and if there are any reliable contractors that might do this type of work.

2. Is the water safe to swim in and how could I verify this? On some parts of the pool if I slide my finger gently along the surface under the water line I can see a very small amount of blue powdery substance appearing to come away from the surface and dissipate into the pool. This is a bit concerning for my young family!

Two pictures are attached along with pool results form two weeks ago showing the typical levels I maintain my pool (noting i usually get testing BEFORE adding acid and hence the pH is a little high)

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Rhino83
Looks like I'm another victim of Barrier Reef WA. I got my pool 2 years ago and now my pool is all white. Apparently the managing director is going to come look at my pool but still waiting. When I called them they didn't seem to know about this issue but its starting to sounds like they know exactly what the issue is.

Hi Rhino,

Did you get someone out? I had someone come out to look at my pool. He said it looks like the gel coat has slightly oxidized. He said its caused from too high PH or chlorine. I get my water tested regularly and the highest it's been is 7.9. I have a system that is supposed to maintain chlorine levels too. Result of the visit was, I was given a piece of sand paper and shown that the white coat comes off with rubbing. Long term solution is to drain the pool and sand back the oxidised gel coat. A cost of about $4-$5 k.

Weighing up my options at the moment.
Hi All

I'm extremely happy to find a thread to vent on.

I'm here in QLD with a barrier Reef fibreglass pool that is starting to feel chalky and waterline marks appearing only after 2.5 years. Barrier Reef turning a blind eye! (all pool manufactures are the same its not us, its you!)

I read the manual and have been very strict about water testing every two weeks (with swimart) to remain within warranty but again they have thrown the typical over chlorinated line at me too, so now in the process of lodging a claim with SPASA

My concern is, will I be stuck with a pool that will deteriorate rapidly and look like faded 80s mess. You pay good money for this Australian made product and all the other plastics on the filter, jets etc which cost far less, can handle water indifference, show now signs of being brittle, yet apparently the pool shell simply cant. They sell you a 25yr warranty (which they dont uphold) yet I still come back to this strict PH water tolerance for a pool shell, which they claim has had extensive product testing from UV levels, gel coats right through to the atom bomb.

So in short, be prepared to study chemical engineering to keep within the very limited PH & Chlorine specifications.

I will let you know how I go with SPASA.

Dalts
MissMia
Rhino83

Hi Rhino,

Did you get someone out? I had someone come out to look at my pool. He said it looks like the gel coat has slightly oxidized. He said its caused from too high PH or chlorine. I get my water tested regularly and the highest it's been is 7.9. I have a system that is supposed to maintain chlorine levels too. Result of the visit was, I was given a piece of sand paper and shown that the white coat comes off with rubbing. Long term solution is to drain the pool and sand back the oxidised gel coat. A cost of about $4-$5 k.

Weighing up my options at the moment.

Hi Rhino, just posted up mine pool scenario & I am in the same boat with Barrier reef pool over here in QLD. Apparently my gel coat has slightly oxidized due to high PH. Now this will be interesting as the Barrier reef pool franchise I went through no longer exists! Class action, I feel they know whats going on! As I have mentioned my my thread, I am now lodging a claim through SPASA.
KazBoo

Hi KazBoo,

I am experiencing the same issue with a Barrier Reef pool here in QLD. Like I mentioned in my comment below, I am now addressing this with SPASA. I have also advised them to look at this thread, the same issue is being raised over & over again.
like i said to them, I am not a chemical engineer but having to keep within the very limited PH & Chlorine specifications is nuts, especially when they tell us how much extensive testing has been done on the pool shells from UV through to gel coat strengths.

They BRP tell me the pool coat has started to oxidize. 2.5 years later, I have a pool that has deteriorated and looking much older.
CLASS ACTION all these pools are made in the same factory (BRP, Freedom etc) same issues...

Regards,

Dalts
Sorry to hear you are experiencing the same issues as us too. The fact the problem is in other states too, not just limited to WA certainly means that it is a widespread problem that must be addressed. It is now a further 2yrs since the managing director of Riverina Pools came out and blamed it on high chlorine and our pool is worsening yet all our levels are great and we've used our pool blanket twice in this time as we are too scared too! The fact it's worsening though says it's a problem with the gelcoat. When you look down the sides of our pool you can see the patchiness and that something is coming off.

What to do about it and how to pursue is the issue now. I'm really not sure how we go about this. The warrantys we're all promised in our investment are useless if the company's won't listen or admit a problem.
How do we do it?

Dalts
KazBoo

Hi KazBoo,

I am experiencing the same issue with a Barrier Reef pool here in QLD. Like I mentioned in my comment below, I am now addressing this with SPASA. I have also advised them to look at this thread, the same issue is being raised over & over again.
like i said to them, I am not a chemical engineer but having to keep within the very limited PH & Chlorine specifications is nuts, especially when they tell us how much extensive testing has been done on the pool shells from UV through to gel coat strengths.

They BRP tell me the pool coat has started to oxidize. 2.5 years later, I have a pool that has deteriorated and looking much older.
CLASS ACTION all these pools are made in the same factory (BRP, Freedom etc) same issues...

Regards,

Dalts
Dalts, I will be very interested to hear what SPASA say, can you please let us all know? I hope they do read this thread!

There are a few problems with these cases above:
1: SPASA Members are not allowed to say anything detrimental against other SPASA members.
Reason why it is extremely difficult to get anyone professional round to put in writing and confirm. That there is fault with the pool and confirm that lots of others have experienced the same thing.
Please check member terms for SPASA. SPASA are perfectly aware that there is an issue but they are a member group, not one that supports the customers. (just ask them)
2: Everyone knows everyone in the pool industry and the "Gelcoat" that is presumed to be the one at Faulty product is definitely nationwide
maybe even world wide is and has been used by many pool manufacturers. This is their lively hood and they will never
admit anything is wrong, the pool manufacturers will just gradually stop using this gel coat manufacturer and use something else. (which a few of them have already done)
3: It is extremely hard to prove! YES Chlorine bleaching is a thing, You will need to have regular pool tests available.
Showing that the PH is on average between 7 - 7.2 ph and Chlorine : 1-3 . Alkalinity: 80- 120 Phosphates 0.
Those in the know will know that this is physically impossible! I have proved it.
All pool shops have different ranges and even SPASA have different ranges, even your pool equipment has different ranges. The pool Manufacturer knows this and will play on the Customers naivety and lack on knowledge in the subject and make the Warranty Null and Void if these levels have not been maintained.
Leave the blanket on for longer than a day (the one that they supplied you) , Don't turn down the Chlorinator when it is winter . and god forbid , PLEASE don't ever let people swim in it!! as this will throw out the levels completely!
4: For those of you who have bought a house with the pool. You have no chance (as the warranty is not transferable) Good old SPASA make sure of this in the fine print.
5: SPASA are there for the POOL members not the customers. There are Standards. (Which I would share but only have a licence for one) - These standards offer different ranges again from SPASA and the pool manufacturers and the pool shops The standards are only voluntary.
6: The only answer for us - is to replace, fill in or resurface the pool with different materials and go to a different system completely. and just be more aware this time round. I am happy to try and push for the Voluntary standards to made mandatory but be prepared this will take years.
7: on a last note, the last class action took place about a similar issue and it was 6000 customers and this was a drawn out process.
8: You do need to have proof though that your levels have been correct and regularly tested. Yes, I agree, we all spent thousands of Dollars on one single lifetime purchase and why should we have to prove that it is a manufacturers fault and we feel “scammed”. In a way we have.
The on-going maintenance has certainly been “glossed” over. And made confusing.
The Laws and the Swimming Pool Bodies that we thought were there to protect us, are not there at all.
It would be interesting to know what pool owners were offered 1 year’s free pool maintenance from their pool manufacturer. (as this is unheard of, as they even know that the warranty levels are unattainable)
8: The only way is to go public and get everyone together.
9: Each Pool owner needs to collect all of their Pool test records, the receipt for the pool, and try and find out who the manufacturer of the Gelcoat was. They also need to have an idea of what they want
As a conclusion. (To make right)

In moving forward, we all need to spread the word to as many potential pool owners about the faults with our pools and the need for a better understanding of what is being installed.
And get EVERYTHING in writing an maybe even request that the pool manufacturer maintains the pool for 1 year. (to cover all seasons) - even at an added cost it would be worth it! It will definitely sort The rogues from the professionals.
It is not just 1 gel coat supplier and the problem is world wide . I have had been part of some local,testing for a American chemicals co . The fact that it is random puts more weight to claiming it is water ballance . I have core drilled a fibreglass pool Wh bleaching and sent to a lab to try to determine cause . I couldn’t get a definitive answer . It could of been chlorine bleached or could be under cured .
My recommendation is to get a automated water ballance system which constantly adjusts and records levels every few minutes such as the Omni logic system . Then it is impossible to blame water ballance .

Thankyou for your comment and the recommendation of the Omni logic system I have just had a look at it and although it seems to be good on the surface. I dont think (on first read) that it measures the alkalinity. This is one of the problems when the alkalinity reading goes below 80, the pool owner will need to add more "Buffer" this in turn increases the "ph" and then the pool owner adds more acid to bring the "ph" down and this also brings the alkalinity levels down and so the cycle continues and I have proven that it is definitely beyond my constant readings of the pool I cannot maintain the the 80-120 Alkalinity and a PH of 7-7.2 . It is impossible for me anyway, I would love someone to prove me wrong. And with the Omni logic system I cannot read anywhere where it maintains both of these levels (and also I presume it works off of sensor probes) which again would require calibrating and regular maintenance and replacing at some point.
I am not putting the system down, but any automated system that is added to the pool, evidently pushes the owner away from the responsibilities of looking after the pool (makes them more relaxed) as they are told that it is fully automated and they dont need to worry. This is when things can go wrong if the system is left alone for too longer time period. Thankyou for your suggestion though. And yes it may be a faulty gel coat, or down to under cure, or down to the on going maintenance of the pool owner. As these 3 things are very hard to prove (apart for the pool owner) the pool owner normally gets the blame. Thats why we are all here .
Related
30/10/2023
Running irrigation line under footpath (next to home)

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all I am looking to run a water line under my concrete footpath which is directly next to my home, was seeing if this is possible without cutting the entire section…

17/06/2023
Modular above ground pool over Private Sewer line

General Discussion

Hi everyone, Looking for some advise. We are about to build an above ground pool in our backyard. There is a private sewer line running under the pool at 1.6m…

2/05/2023
gas line re-purposed to water main?

Building A New House

thanks Simeon appreciate your input.

You are here
Building ForumPools & Spas
Home
Pros
Forum