Join Login
Building ForumPools & Spas

Fibreglass v Concrete

Page 1 of 1
So we are just starting to explore the idea of a pool and are reaching the debate of fibreglass v concrete.

We have only discussed pools with one fibreglass mob at the moment, concrete guy coming next week. Would like to hear from those in the know about pros and cons incase we are missing something important.

Fibreglass
Pros
- cheaper to install
- quicker build time
- less maintenance
- use for longer periods
Cons
- limited style

Concrete
Pros
- unlimited possibilities in terms of style/design
Cons
- more expensive
- harder on feet/skin
- more maintenance

Thoughts?
Check this thread - Cara and Matt's First Build - Baldivis
viewtopic.php?t=75306

https://letsbuildwithboutique.wordpress.com
This isn't much of a reply, but is a truthful honest reply.
Fibreglass will give less issues in the future so long as you are installing in an area well above the local water table.
I cant be bothered explaining why.
Concrete just gives so many issues, not with the concrete itself but with the longevity of the finishes applied over the concrete.
I would choose a fibreglass pool with landscaping done cleverly to make it looks as if it is concrete! (bull nose pavers, perhaps a waterfall or some clever lighting)
My 2 cents.
So we had the first meeting with a concrete pool guy.......still waiting for a quote but he mentioned he works off a lineal metre rate when building the pool. Any ideas what others have been charged as a lineal metre rate?
Lineal metres?? must be a pretty skinny pool.
We wanted to go concrete and got 2 quotes and they both went off lineal meters as well.
Sandra
All pool builders go off lineal.. ie a 8x4 pool is 24 lineal meters...

Cost wise you will find concrete vs fibreglass is almost identical
MrBee
All pool builders go off lineal.. ie a 8x4 pool is 24 lineal meters...

Cost wise you will find concrete vs fibreglass is almost identical

Possibly similar on the quote & contract but generally you will get slugged variations the whole way through the build. With a concrete pool . A lineal m rate won't take into account rock or unstable ground,poor assess and unique site conditions . It is a easy for a salesman to quote & a cheap price is what most customers want to see. Most people getting a concrete pool get hit with peering shortly after work commences . I recently had a customer who was asked for a additional $58000 for peering work . The day before it was due to be excavated . He had a contract for total contract price of $50000 . We installed a fibreglass one complete for $62000.
As a customer you need to read the fine print on a contract BEFORE you sign it because the fine print will often enable the pool co to virtually charge why they like.

We "Owner Built" a Concrete pool last year. I liked the idea of concrete with a fully tiled finish, to me it was more classy than a fiberglass "plastic" pool.

Even though I had the option with concrete to choose any style/shape, I chose a simple rectangle pool.

I too was confused about whether I should choose fiberglass or concrete but when I asked myself what do the "Rich and Famous" choose ..... I could not find 1 example of someone with wealth build a fiberglass pool.

Anyhow here is my story. Good luck!

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=73509
We had a fibreglass in our previous place (we installed it - 2007 - after a concreter advised us to do so, as he had a fibreglass)... it was generally pretty good. Maintenance on it was quite easy to manage. Temperature over the warmer months was always comfortable. However, I still always wished we went with concrete. We had hydrostatic valve issues and after installing it settled lower in one corner - obvious to me, but not many others (probably an inch). The safety rails and smooth finish were great while our kids were very young.

We've just signed a building contract which includes a concrete pool. Going much larger this pool and deeper - a bonus I think with concrete - they like to place the deepest part near the centre of the pool - for diving. Fibreglass are always right at the very end. I asked the local pool shop what his opinion was between them both - his words "If I was putting in a new pool today, it would be a pebble-crete pool" but mentioned they're both good. I questioned black-spot - easy to maintain against.

Also, we had cartridge filter last time - going sand this time around. Bit of a pain cleaning the cartridge and it never cleans properly. Lastly, the robotic cleaners are a massive step-up over the filter operated creepy-crawlies - less crap in the filter as well.
[quote="carmania"]We "Owner Built" a Concrete pool last year. I liked the idea of concrete with a fully tiled finish, to me it was more classy than a fiberglass "plastic" pool.

Even though I had the option with concrete to choose any style/shape, I chose a simple rectangle pool.

I too was confused about whether I should choose fiberglass or concrete but when I asked myself what do the "Rich and Famous" choose ..... I could not find 1 example of someone with wealth build a fiberglass pool.

Congratulations on your choice with a concrete pool .
The poor suckers below living on the poverty line can only afford the "plastic " pools pictured below .
It would suck to be them .

Hi wheeliworks, thank you for your sarcastic response!!!

I was reading your response to my post as a positive reply but......I was wrong.

Do not be a Hypocrite!

If You Can't afford a concrete pool, then you can't afford a concrete pool. I did mine as an owner builder. I am not flushed with cash either.

However, if you can afford a concrete pool, then my opinion is do get one.

You do have a nice pool, or would it only be the view, my choice would have been concrete.

We also used travertine for our pool coping and patio area.

Tomato, Tomato.

How can the cost of engineering and the longevity of tiling be beneath a mass production manufactured same old, same old "plastic" fiberglass pool that is the same as your neighbours?

Answer is: it Isn't!

Anyone that might be interested, here is my Dumb Arse Idea of a Concrete pool!
My response was in regards to this comment you made.
"I could not find 1 example of someone with wealth build a fiberglass pool."

Surely you would agree that some people with wealth, probably far greater than yours and mine do choose fibreglass pools over concrete .
I'm not sure on the famous part of your statement as I don't have famous friends don't invite me over for a swim .
You do come across as a snob with comments such as
"If you can't afford a concrete pool. " .Many people make a considered decision to build a fibreglass pool for many reasons .
Your pool does look good so far and have no doubt it will look great when it's finished, but it won't elevate you to a higher social status than your next door neighbour with a fibreglass pool .
Cheers

carmania
We "Owner Built" a Concrete pool last year. I liked the idea of concrete with a fully tiled finish, to me it was more classy than a fiberglass "plastic" pool.

Anyhow here is my story. Good luck!

That's because they have the cash to fix all the problems with a concrete pool with age. Cracks, leaching, broken tiles, black spot, etc... They are all class now but in 20 years will look very tired opposed to a fibreglass pool of the same age.
Just my opinion from what i've seen.
We chose fibreglass due to them being warmer. Very happy with our decision!

Concrete cracks. The obvious choice to me is fibreglass. I am not a person of great wealth, but I have had both concrete pools and fibreglass and I would take fiberglass any day.
to the guy who thinks only wealthy people have concrete pools, when its a hot day, nobody gives a toss what the pool is made from, they just want to swim.
Interesting the comments about cost. Been talking to the concrete pool sales people and I'm told they are the same price as fibreglass. Not had any actually quote to get a comparison against fibreglass.
Related
2/05/2023
Control joint missing in concrete driveway

Building A New House

To my understanding early saw cuts are to control shrinkage cracks, so doing them now would be pointless. Control joints may reduce ugly cracking during periods of soil…

2/05/2023
Concrete driveway: joint spacing

Paving & Concreting

Hi all I need a guidance on how far I need to space expansion joints in the concrete driveway and its type (keyway/foam.) Contraction joints are at 3m max for a 125 slab. Thanks

You are here
Building ForumPools & Spas
Home
Pros
Forum