Join Login
Building ForumPools & Spas

Owner build concrete pool with Thermacell ICF or similar ?

Page 1 of 1
Anyone use ICF blocks to owner build a pool ?

I looked into this a number of years ago was same price to hire someone like techcrete to spray if your willing to do ground work and rebar yourself with a better finish.

ADBRI Masonary have info on there website for a bessar brick pool.
Are you saying it was cheaper to do than a fibreglass pool if prepared to do the groundwork rebar etc your self ?
I am looking to excavate, assemble the blocks and do the concrete pour but may use someone to finish the base. Will hope to use a vinyl liner.
All the rest plumbing and landscaping etc I can do myself

If you google concrete block swimming pools and do some searching a guy in NSW? had a blog about his construction also there is a downloadable brochure on the adbri website.

I would suggest you ring Techcrete and get a price for there service i would think a one piece concrete structure is going to be better than blocks then ring your local steel supplier and get a quote on some 12mm pool steel rebar. Is is different to normal as it is 200mpa and easier to bend into shape.

From what i remember the concrete option was the cheapest if you dont mind doing some work, but this may have changed.

Just saw your location Techcrete were located in vic but maybe they can put you onto someone closer.
I do want a solid one piece shell hence looking at ICF that I can concrete fill myself then get it rendered or vinyl lined.
I looked at shotcrete but don't want the hassle of form work or pay a company to spray concrete.
Perhaps there was confusion thinking I wanted to build with concrete blocks ?

Just have a look at all the costings.

Besser blocks or ICF blocks
Rebar
Concrete and Concrete pump.
Render.

Spraycrete
Rebar
Minor formwork as its sprayed into hole assuming your going inground.
Paint /render

It will pay to cost up each option considering besser blocks will have different expansion rates to concrete once cured may cause issues down the track.
Not keen on the besser blocks for reasons you mentioned.
Looking at Duraquartz as a coating, has anyone used this ?

Been off topic for a while but back on the job of costing the pool build.
Looking at an ICF system to build a 7.2x3.6 shell with the steps off the side at the shallow end to form a L shape.
Trying to work out the inside finish. The ICF are polystyrene so would need rendering before the liner.
I could also go for a FC sheet finish at extra cost on the ICF so doing away with rendering apart from the bottom.
The other thought was to strip the polystyrene off the walls then grind the concrete smooth for epoxy painting/lining.
The third wacky thought was to line the whole pool with cement sheet to create a smooth surface to paint/line.
Costing at around $13500 plus fencing and landscaping so far.
Thoughts ?

Related
26/01/2024
Precast Insulated Walls vs ICF

Building A New House

Good questions but the best answer will be obtained by visiting (ie: interviewing) a couple of house designers and/or builders and ask them. You may find it challenging to…

28/09/2023
NEW BUILD - HIA - BUILDER GROUNDS TO TERMINATE IF OWNER DOES

Building A New House

Sorry but you have a crap builder. Probably too late now. For our last build I only spoke to builders who would allow me easy access (at no cost). I used my own sparky…

6/12/2023
Anyone got owner builder permit to build a duplex in NSW ?

Owner Builder Forum

If so what were the "special circumstances" under which it was granted? "Note: If the development consent is for 'dual occupancy' an owner-builder permit can only be…

You are here
Building ForumPools & Spas
Home
Pros
Forum