Join Login
Building ForumPools & Spas

Sealing Pavers - Pool

Page 2 of 2
miteq
No problem, let me know how you go.

Will do. At least I now have a starting point ...
All of Miteq posts are very accurate and correct.
You may find it easier and safer to have a professional come and do the clean and 2 coat application of a quality natural look penetrating sealer. Concrete pavers can be quite sensitive
If so do not hesitate to contact us http://www.cleaningandsealing.com.au/co ... ete-sealer for the sealer application. If you do choose to do it yourself do not flood the pavers with puddles of sealer or you may get a patchy finish. More thin coats are better than 1 or 2 thick coats. Penetrating sealers can be recoated in 20 min intervals.
FCS
All of Miteq posts are very accurate and correct.
You may find it easier and safer to have a professional come and do the clean and 2 coat application of a quality natural look penetrating sealer. Concrete pavers can be quite sensitive
If so do not hesitate to contact us http://www.cleaningandsealing.com.au/co ... ete-sealer for the sealer application. If you do choose to do it yourself do not flood the pavers with puddles of sealer or you may get a patchy finish. More thin coats are better than 1 or 2 thick coats. Penetrating sealers can be recoated in 20 min intervals.

OK - mine are sandstone though - not concrete. So - yes - will need the right sealer etc.
i have just sealed my sandstone pavers around the pool and used a pool paving sealer called crommelin sealer from bunning a 6 litre tin. i did the sandstone surround three coats and still have over half left
i am a novice but i like the job i did.
1rocky
i have just sealed my sandstone pavers around the pool and used a pool paving sealer called crommelin sealer from bunning a 6 litre tin. i did the sandstone surround three coats and still have over half left

Good work. Sealing it can be quite simple yes, however as I stated in earlier posts, if you have a salt water pool, don't expect that sealer (or any for that matter) from Bunnings to do much in the way of stopping the degradation of your sandstone.
miteq
1rocky

Good work. Sealing it can be quite simple yes, however as I stated in earlier posts, if you have a salt water pool, don't expect that sealer (or any for that matter) from Bunnings to do much in the way of stopping the degradation of your sandstone.

Is there a good one Miteq - ie a brand you'd be happy with ?

That would last - say - 5 years ?
Saint Mike
miteq
1rocky

Is there a good one Miteq - ie a brand you'd be happy with ?

That would last - say - 5 years ?

Hehe, yes....and hopefully I don't get in trouble here but mine. Miteq...
Since, however, you are in QLD from memory it may be hard for me to supply anything direct due to transport costs. Other brands that seem as good are out there just gotta know where to look. Generally your local paving yard is a good place to start. I don't recommend buying from Bunnings or similar.

Most consolidators should last longer than 5 yrs. Penetrating sealers will last this long no problem (always depending on the traffic it receives). A re-coat around the 2-3yr period never hurts. I tell my customers that when you start to struggle with the removal of stains, that's a good time to re-coat. A single coat of sealer usually does the trick.
Quote:
Since, however, you are in QLD from memory it may be hard for me to supply anything direct due to transport costs. Other brands that seem as good are out there just gotta know where to look. Generally your local paving yard is a good place to start. I don't recommend buying from Bunnings or similar.

Most consolidators should last longer than 5 yrs. Penetrating sealers will last this long no problem (always depending on the traffic it receives). A re-coat around the 2-3yr period never hurts. I tell my customers that when you start to struggle with the removal of stains, that's a good time to re-coat. A single coat of sealer usually does the trick.
[/quote]

But - clean first ?
Saint Mike
Quote:

But - clean first ?[/quote]

Yep, always a quick clean before sealing. Depending on how dirty a light acid wash or alkaline cleaner usually does the trick. Beware of us hydrochloric acid as this can etch pavers if used incorrectly.

We have a cleaner (as do our competitors) that is a phosphoric/nitric mix acid which is much better to use than hydrochloric.
miteq
Saint Mike
Quote:

But - clean first ?

Yep, always a quick clean before sealing. Depending on how dirty a light acid wash or alkaline cleaner usually does the trick. Beware of us hydrochloric acid as this can etch pavers if used incorrectly.

We have a cleaner (as do our competitors) that is a phosphoric/nitric mix acid which is much better to use than hydrochloric.[/quote]

Well - finally done it ....
Looks good.

Now for the cement - drive and paths.
[/quote]Well - finally done it ....
Looks good.

Now for the cement - drive and paths.[/quote]

nice work. did you consolidate as well or just seal the area?
Quote:
miteq
Well - finally done it ....
Looks good.

Now for the cement - drive and paths.

nice work. did you consolidate as well or just seal the area?[/quote][/quote]

Consolidate - please explain - I cleaned up first ...

As its all relatively new it is pretty good after a good gurney. (I'm speaking in builders terms now ...
).
I was referring to the sealing part of it all.

Originally you stated that you were having sandstone around a salt pool? Have you followed the steps I provided to consolidate and seal the area at all?

A quick gurney to make it look clean is one thing. To consolidate and seal is another.
Yes - made sure I got it all - especially around the pool area. Not hard - but took some time.
I'll bring back this topic.
Less than a year ago we had granite pavers laid and sealed by a professional with clear sealant.
Now we have added more pavers around the house and I was about to call the same person to come back and seal the rest of the pavers but I've noticed that even after cleaning with Karcher the old batch of pavers looks much much much more yellow than the new ones.
We have chosen Fremantle Stone's Empire Blue Granite pavers, the new ones look like what we wanted from the start but the old ones look horrible under that so called "clear sealant". You can really see the difference between the two now that they are laying next to each other.
The question is did I actually needed to seal the first batch of pavers, seems like it was a waste of money because they look nothing like the brighter and white new batch, the sealant made them really dull. What is the point of sealing the pavers??? Didn't seem to make a difference...
Help please?
AubinGroveFan
I'll bring back this topic.
Less than a year ago we had granite pavers laid and sealed by a professional with clear sealant.
Now we have added more pavers around the house and I was about to call the same person to come back and seal the rest of the pavers but I've noticed that even after cleaning with Karcher the old batch of pavers looks much much much more yellow than the new ones.
We have chosen Fremantle Stone's Empire Blue Granite pavers, the new ones look like what we wanted from the start but the old ones look horrible under that so called "clear sealant". You can really see the difference between the two now that they are laying next to each other.
The question is did I actually needed to seal the first batch of pavers, seems like it was a waste of money because they look nothing like the brighter and white new batch, the sealant made them really dull. What is the point of sealing the pavers??? Didn't seem to make a difference...
Help please?

I would love to hear an answer to this as we have also chosen the empire blue granite pavers for around our pool as well! Is a sealer really needed? If so what is the best one to use?

We would hate for them to look dull and yellow...is there a way you could maybe strip the sealer off aubingrovefan?
I have a feeling we were told that buying in different batches might mean getting slightly different "shades".

Matching the same batch is not always that easy ...
I just recently used tumbled travertine pavers as coping and area around my pool (salt water) , they where layed and grouted with a sand based grout , I sealed them myself using a solvent based penetrating sealer called @sure seal , I got down on my hands and knees and wiped them down with a damp rag till I was satisfied that they looked clean and free of any dirt/dust and let dry, I then emptied the 4l can of sealer into a bucket and used one if those mops that's flat with a material pad , dunked it in there and just applied it liberally and let it dry for a few hours.

After that when I wet the stone , the water just ran off and beaded , and didn't let the water soak in and change colour , it keeps the dry look even when raining.

Not sure how the water based sealers work , but this solvent based one works like a champ and easy to apply, I did 2 x coats over 2 days.
It is better to let Travertine breathe around a pool and i wouldnt seal them. They are a great natural stone that is really easy to maintain.
Hi 👋 Can you please help me.
We want to instal Garonne limestone pavers around a pool. We have been told to pre seal them with the dip method.
My question is, is this necessary if our pool is a magnesium pool?
Can we get away with just a top sealer after instal?
Thankyou

Missed this and note sure how, sorry.

The important thing I must ask first and foremost that has been missed in this thread is is the pool a salt water pool and what type of material are you sealing. If the product is a porous paver you must consider consolidating the stone to avoid salt attack. This help with the strength of the stone and avoid any delamination further down the track.

Regardless, we believe it is important to seal around pool areas. Where possible use a good quality product by a reputable manufacturing company. Penetrating sealers are better around pool areas as you don't have to worry about slip issues. They sit below the surface of the stone and should not change the colour of the stone. Two coat application for all sealers is recommended. With a life span of 3-5yrs in general.

Any tips to watch for - the main one I recommend is just to have an eye for detail when sealing. If the area isn't cleaned down properly you will seal it with stains left behind. Don't use hydrochloric acid to clean with. Nasty stuff.

Roller is good to apply. Low pressure spray better in my opinion. If you use a roller, medium nap roller is fine.

Let me know if I can help further.[/quote]
Related
3/09/2023
Natural stone- stain removal and gloss sealing

General Discussion

Hi, planning on using the attached stone pieces in my bathroom. I want to remove stains and gloss seal. Can I get some advice on best way to remove stains and best…

20/04/2024
Sealing Gas heater brevis underground duct

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Hi everyone Question about Brevis gas heating undergound - was recently installed by previous owners (<1 year old) but live in a relatively large house - 4 bdr - and only…

17/06/2023
Aggregate vs Pavers around a new build

Building A New House

Thanks chippy, Budapest for your responses. We've gone with aggregate > I totally know what you mean about the ants here in Perth, they are a pain.

You are here
Building ForumPools & Spas
Home
Pros
Forum