Join Login
Building ForumPools & Spas

concrete swimming pool

Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone,
I have posted b4 regarding a concrete swimming poll using an ADBRIMASONRY system used in Queensland for a number of years. I wanted to ask some concreters if i could build it a different way.
Pour concrete pool base approx 180 mm thick using required rebar etc and then form up the walls and pour separately my question is are there any sealers available to seal walls to base before painting or tiling. My main reason for doing was to save the cost of purchasing the bricks for the walls that are required for the other method of construction. as forming the walls will take a bit more time.

Thanks
Shotcrete is the way to go.. otherwise you get a cold joint 'forever' that needs to have a 'construction joint'
installed.
...not a 'control joint'
Thanks,
Unsure why swimming pools are so different, we have 2 6 mtr x 6mtr process water tanks at work these were poured on concrete bases with 200mm thick walls and hold 50,000 litres of water each have been there for 10 years and never leaked just wanted to apply the same principal to a pool. as a very cost effective construction.
the pool construction will be determined by your engineer. No engineer = no permit
yes i understand this just looking at some different processes to achieve the same outcome and potentially save $1000's of dollars. The main question here was about sealing of the wall to floor.
A construction joint for floor/wall ... then rake(open) the joint and chalk with a flexible
jointing compound.. concentrating on the inside of the vessel.
If it was 200mm thick then sealing it would be aesthetic only, so depending on the
water treatment, chlor or salt choose a coating to suit you use.

But a 200mm wall of conc is a lot of conc.
I wonder what the cost to construct the work tank was.. any idea? what year was it made.
A construction joint for floor/wall ... then rake(open) the joint and chalk with a flexible
If it was 200mm thick then sealing it would be aesthetic only, so depending on the

I wonder what the cost to construct the work tank was.. any idea? what year was it made.
Was constructed 12 years ago, not sure of cost will have a look at the drawings for it and see how the foundation and walls were constructed.

looking at a 7x3.5 with an average 1.5 wall height required concrete with 200 mm thickness all the way around 12mtrs @175 for 32mpa =$2100

plus rebar $1200 and time to do formwork????.
Have done some more research hydrotite and hyperseal br are products i need they are designed to make a concrete join watertight and are used in pool and water reservoir applications.
onc_artisan

Had a look at drawings walls and floor are 350mm thick 40 mpa concrete with 2 rows of 12 mm rebar in each wall and floor bit of an over kill for my pool but will apply a similar process just on a smaller scale if engineer OK.
I made these tanks they don't leak. 100 mm thick
The link is a forum that I have been a member of for 4 years.
The thread is a set of fish tanks that I made a few years ago...
You will need to scroll down a bit.
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum ... +waterfall

This is what it looks like May 10
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum ... 93#p230493

Sorry for the gratuitous advertizing
Thanks, one question looking at the photos did you pour base first and then form up walls or did you manage to suspend formwork off base and pour as one structure. And this is exactly what i want to do for the pool.
It was poured in one hit, monolithic

The form was floating.
Thanks for your help
Not sure what to use to seal the joint between wall and floor.

Maybe look at Kryton or xypex.

Basf chemical constructions would have something for sealing the walls.

Also look at a product called Dincel to build the walls. they may have engineers to sign off on the plans.

Hoping to build a pool in a similar fashion as you have specified.

What are you using to seal the concrete slab?

Good luck

Pulpo
Those fish tanks were never sealed, though had silica fume super plas and was 32 mpa.
They don't leak!.
If poured as one construction have been advised to use zypec by adbri masonry engineer.

if slab poured first see previous post Hydratite or hydro seal BR these go in between slab and wall pours.
I spoke with a few formwork people most dont want to help and just recommend shotcrete was quoted $3200 for shotecrete hire for min 15 cubic meters and concrete cost on top which is $240 meter and will require approx 10 i can build whole pool for a little more using versaloc bricks or forming walls and pouring. just need someone to help with formwork ie building an internal wall 7x3.5 meters and then suspending above ground and reo at 150 mm and pouring concrete. As per ponds on previous post structure should be fine but most people dont like going outside the square.
Good on you Kassan for looking outside the square - I have wondered why swimming pools can't be made with more commerial applications to save on costs. I will be following your progress with interest.
Have emailed dincel will call them also on Monday their wall system looks fantastic and light weight compared to versaloc bricks will get some costings off them as well system uses very little rebar which helps costings just need to look at pouring a slab first or suspending walls on the slab rebar and pouring as one as walls are light weight will post some more info on Monday
Dincel does look good would be interesting in their costings.

I think a wall of concrete 200mm thick for a swimming pool is considerable.

Although they have a smaller thickness wall also which I may also work.

Especially when compared to water tanks.

I'm always incline to add more steel; for steel look at steelforce.

You could also use icf insulated concrete foam.

I know thermacell show swimming pools built this way and have seen them.

Although not my choice.

Good Luck

Pulpo
Related
31/01/2024
Is swimming pool cost effective to add value to new build?

Building A New House

The last home I lived in didn't have a pool and when i went to sell it the agents were not happy, even telling me to put one in to sell the place. The agents weren't happy…

You are here
Building ForumPools & Spas
Home
Pros
Forum