Join Login
Building ForumPools & Spas

Concrete vs Fibreglass Pool

Page 1 of 1
We are hoping to put in a 5x4m pool near our alfresco area (according to hubby, its a prerequisite!)

Im just wondering if someone can help with the pros and cons of a concrete vs fibreglass pool? Hubby wants concrete, Im not too fussed but would prefer something that will last and obviously, the cheaper the better if quality isnt sacrificed!

We've also been told to get the pool dug out before the house construction starts (house will be raised on stumps, not sure if that makes a difference to anything?), any comments on this also?

And while we're here, might as well start a word document of recommended pool companies too, so if you have any to throw my way

Thank-you!
i always design and recommend concrete pools in my landscapes. There are limit less in sizes, shapes and depths. If the pool is to be close to the house you are better off pouring the pool first this will remove the cost of under pinning the house post construction. concrete is more expensive but they are more versatile and they can be emptied if needed for extended periods of time were as fiberglass you cant. If you want the tropical (balinese) theme then artifical rocks can be built into the pool beam and a dry beach as well to replicate a tropical resort. Do your research on pool companys. All the pools i install are designed in house and we employee 'boutique' pool builders for the shell (due to licensing regs.) Stay away from the main stream pool builders if you want something extra special and not a standard every day pool whether you decide on concrete or fibreglass.
Can you get self cleaning in concrete davinci?

JL
yes you can get inbuilt self cleaning systems for concrete pools
Bam, I think it might be better if you actually spoke to some pool companies first. Of course one is going to say that theirs is better than the other but when I did the ring around last year we were told that fibreglass was better for our block, new Estate, earth settling etc etc etc. I have an acquaintance who owns a concrete Pool Company and even they told me to go fibreglass. Ours is a Conquest Pool who are based in Shepparton but we bought it through Summerset Pools and Spas.

http://www.conquestpools.com.au/

http://summersetpoolsandspas.com.au/

As for digging the hole first, yes definitely and seeing as you are OB then you will be able to do this. All of the volume builders won't touch your block if there is a pool hole. PD said they would terminate our contract if we got our hole dug first, even if it was covered and fenced. We were lucky with access though so it wasn't a problem for us. If you have houses on either side and not much side access then digging will be a bit of a problem after the house is built.
Thanks everyone

The company we spoke to at the HomeShow was adamant that concrete was a better construction, hence why George is now set on concrete. Problem is, I dont know many pool companies who do both concrete AND fibreglass so its hard to get an unbiased opinion
Hi again Bam - maybe your best bet would be to shop around - have a look at both, price both and see what features both have. I have a friend who has a concrete pool and he sprung a major leak via a crack so that kind of put me off. We are installing a pool for the second time - both have been fibreglass. Our new one has inbuilt self cleaning and that will be fantastic - no more baracudas!! Ours is being installed tomorrow - way before we will even have a slab for our house - we have a lot of landscaping to be done before our house even begins (no, we aren't building with a major)!

Good luck - let us know how you go.

JL
We have had one fibreglass pool and two concrete. The fibreglass colour did fade after several years and it grew some air bubbles. The one we have now is smooth so no rough pebbles underfoot, and yes you can have any shape and size with concrete and there is such a huge choice of colours. I personally would always choose concrete over fibreglass. We also had the pool dug and concreted before house construction.

Fibreglass pools are colder than concrete, IMO.
Thanks everyone
Im going to try and find a few local pool places to talk to in regard to possible cracking etc

SuH your pool is simply stunning!
Becster
Fibreglass pools are colder than concrete, IMO.

The pool company doing ours do both concrete and fibreglass but they won't do concrete for domestic situaltions, not sure why. One of the guys from our pool company told me that concrete pools are colder. I love the pool water warm so won't do without solar heating!
Related
17/06/2023
Modular above ground pool over Private Sewer line

General Discussion

Hi everyone, Looking for some advise. We are about to build an above ground pool in our backyard. There is a private sewer line running under the pool at 1.6m…

You are here
Building ForumPools & Spas
Home
Pros
Forum