Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Splashbacks

Glass splashback pain!

Page 1 of 1
Hi... A little advice appreciated as we're at our wits end.
When we selected the colours for our kitchen back in Feb, we went for Ultra White gloss Createc cupboards, drawers and Luna white Ceaser stone tops... The idea being.. White, White, White!
The spashback we selected was "White Sparkle"
The sample shown to us was 100mm square, labeled "White Sparkle" and looked white in the builders factory.
In fact it was recommended by him to match the ultra white cupboards and the silver sparkle to go with the brushed aluminium drawer handles and kickboard.
In the contract under spashbacks, it states "6mm White Sparkle"
Fast forward to this week when splashback has just been fitted.
We walked in, took one look and reeled in horror... It's GREEN NOT WHITE!
The builders response.. "It's what you picked"
We stated "No way, we selected WHITE!!
After numerous phonecalls to various splashback suppliers, the over whelming consensus was that it should have been pointed out by him that Float-glass has a green tinge, and if you want a "true white" it must be "Starphire" glass.
This was NEVER mentioned. (and we had NO idea there were 2 glasses)
Now, the builder has shown us a sample (which he didn't have earlier, BTW) of WHITE SPARKLE in Starphire glass which is exactly what we originally envisaged.
And the killer... Just on $3000 to rip the old one down and replace with "WHITE SPARKLE"
AND adding ANOTHER 2 weeks to an already delayed build.
(Notice BOTH products have the SAME name, as per our contract, and nowhere does it mention float glass)
Where do you guys think we stand?
Thanks for reading my rant.
Pretty much if it isn't specified in your contract you will always be given the cheaper option.

You can try appealing to their good side and offer to pay a smaller amount if you think they omitted to tell you about the residual green colour.

But ultimately whatever is in the contract is all they have to provide - in this case the normal glass.
awwww..... it is kinda a pretty tricky situation here but I think you will probably still have a stand if you speak to your admin and let her/him know that you had no idea about the green tinge like a thousands of others who are building for the first time and learn these details only when you come across such issues..... I'm sure that they will come up with a solution , maybe for a price...... but have a go at explaining the situation and how unhappy you are with the result.....

keep us updated.....(fingers crossed)....hope things work out and you have your dream white kitchen

Charliewool
Hi... A little advice appreciated as we're at our wits end.
When we selected the colours for our kitchen back in Feb, we went for Ultra White gloss Createc cupboards, drawers and Luna white Ceaser stone tops... The idea being.. White, White, White!
The spashback we selected was "White Sparkle"
The sample shown to us was 100mm square, labeled "White Sparkle" and looked white in the builders factory.
In fact it was recommended by him to match the ultra white cupboards and the silver sparkle to go with the brushed aluminium drawer handles and kickboard.
In the contract under spashbacks, it states "6mm White Sparkle"
Fast forward to this week when splashback has just been fitted.
We walked in, took one look and reeled in horror... It's GREEN NOT WHITE!
The builders response.. "It's what you picked"
We stated "No way, we selected WHITE!!
After numerous phonecalls to various splashback suppliers, the over whelming consensus was that it should have been pointed out by him that Float-glass has a green tinge, and if you want a "true white" it must be "Starphire" glass.
This was NEVER mentioned. (and we had NO idea there were 2 glasses)
Now, the builder has shown us a sample (which he didn't have earlier, BTW) of WHITE SPARKLE in Starphire glass which is exactly what we originally envisaged.
And the killer... Just on $3000 to rip the old one down and replace with "WHITE SPARKLE"
AND adding ANOTHER 2 weeks to an already delayed build.
(Notice BOTH products have the SAME name, as per our contract, and nowhere does it mention float glass)
Where do you guys think we stand?
Thanks for reading my rant.
If you were shown a sample of white sparkle and it look white then that is what you should have been given!

They cant show you a colour on star fire glass and then supply it on standard float. THAT IS NOT ON.

Anyone in the industry knows that starfire has to be used with any shade of white!
They have cut corners, made a mistake and are now trying to get out of it.

Dont let them get away with it!
Curious to find out how you went with this issue??
Hi we had a very similar experience with our glass that was put in.
I chose Dulux White on White as my colour and was assured that it would be the same shade as my white cabinets.
I knew about the 2 different types of glass that were provided and chose Starfire as I wanted the exact colour.
When the glass was fitted it was a very pale sky blue. I could not believe it and queried the colour but was told it was the right shade and starfire glass had been used.
I got the company back to check it out and they agreed at no extra cost to me they would change it .
So perhaps you have a case it is worth a try. Good Luck.
pearl
Hi we had a very similar experience with our glass that was put in.
I chose Dulux White on White as my colour and was assured that it would be the same shade as my white cabinets.
I knew about the 2 different types of glass that were provided and chose Starfire as I wanted the exact colour.
When the glass was fitted it was a very pale sky blue. I could not believe it and queried the colour but was told it was the right shade and starfire glass had been used.
I got the company back to check it out and they agreed at no extra cost to me they would change it .
So perhaps you have a case it is worth a try. Good Luck.

pearl I have sent you a PM,
Going through a kitchen renovation now....I found you need to do your homework..most of them don't give you ideas rather try and win your business. Unless you are prepared to pay most kitchen places will just go with what they know and not what is best...

You need to obtain samples along the way and ensure your kitchen colours and layout is what you wanted.

what I have found most interesting in this game is the kitchen places tell you to go and choose your appliances. Once you have gone to purchase them the kitchen place says it won't fit or not suit the layout!!!

What I have also found interesting the difference in quotes. For the same materials however thousands of dollars more...

As for the splashback, I have purchased from bunnings a sample of the paint for the splash back (7.25 per tub) to paint on the starfire splashback.

Quite an experience to say the least.
Related
You are here
Building ForumKitchen Splashbacks
Home
Pros
Forum