Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Splashbacks

Should the splashback be the same height on all walls?

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone - this is actually my first post, although I've been a longtime stalker on the forums

My 20 year old kitchen is being upgraded by Granite Transformations in a month or so. The splashback will be the same as the benchtop (ie granite).

It is currently a largish U shaped kitchen (or I guess you could say it's also an L shaped kitchen with a breakfast bar, making it a 3 sided kitchen):
* the right hand side has the fridge, oven stove and overhead cupboards,
* the middle section has the sink underneath the window, then a microwave cupboard over the bench to the left of the window
* the left hand side is a breakfast bar - on the other side of the breakfast bar is a living area with a table etc.

At the moment, the splashback underneath the microwave cupboard goes to the height of the microwave cupboard (which has a bulkhead that goes right up to the ceiling). We are ripping down the microwave cupboard and moving the microwave into a space underneath the breakfast bar.

My question is whether you think the splashback where the microwave cupboard used to be should be the same height as the splashback on the right hand side of the kitchen (ie 700mm), or whether it should just be the same height as the splashback under the kitchen window (ie 200mm) - that is, the splashback under the window will just keep continuing at the same height to the left of the window, until the edge of the breakfast bar.

My concern is that if the splashback is 700mm high to match the height on the right hand wall, it will look too high and out of place. It might look a lot neater if the splashback goes from 700mm on the right hand side, drops down to 200mm underneath the window and just continues along the same wall as 200mm, rather than jumping back up to 700mm on the other side of the window.

I realise it would be a lot easier to show what I mean if I could show you a picture, but I haven't worked that out yet!!!

I would appreciate any comments/suggestions.
A picture would definitely help. I have seen splashbacks at different heights but it depends on the overall layout of your kitchen. If it is a continous wall with nothing breaking it up, it will look odd if the splashback height differs. However, if you have a cupboard or something either side, then the splashback height will probably look ok if it is lower.
Yes, there is a window between the tall (700mm) splashback on the right hand side, and the section on the left hand side of the middle section. The splashback under the window will be 200mm high. So my question is whether you think I should continue the 200mm to the left, or whether it should jump back up to 700mm once the window finishes.
I've got differing heights on either side of a window atm, looks fine, I think it would have looked off if I'd continued it to rangehood height on the other side of the window, away from the cooktop
I had exactly the same dilema. My splashback is different heights either side of the kitchen window due to some technical issues with the switches for fans and things.

I was worried at first but it looks fine. The lower side of the splash is on the edge/start of the kitchen so blends in. It even left us the perfect sized wall space to hang an iron type mirror.
We were facing the same thing, 700mm on the bench behind the stove and we wanted 300mm behind the sink (we were using expensive tiles). Our designer said if we went with 2 different heights, the eye would be drawn to it and it wouldn't look right, it would look out of kilter. She said we could get away with 700mm one side and 600mm the other (which we did as the tiles were 300mm by 300mm).
Related
28/07/2023
My builder made the wrong height door, what should I do next

Building A New House

i imagine you also have another contract with an architect? and yeah, whatever other's said about special conditions and appendices

30/05/2023
Replace roof, raise wall height vs extend

Renovation + Home Improvement

ok thanks - yes was wondering if that should have been listed as Option Three!

27/06/2023
Fixing a shower head height mistake

Bathrooms and Laundry

I'll look into different shower heads and ask the plumber about some engineering and see what he says. Thanks

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Splashbacks
Home
Pros
Forum