Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Splashbacks

Cost of glass kitchen splashback

Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone,

We're on the fence whether to get tiles or glass kitchen splashback.
It'd be great to hear from you on how much you paid for your glass splashback and what you think of it?

In addition, has anyone had problems with the glass, for example, cracks appearing near the stove or hot areas?

Thanks in advance
jim
approx 400 per square meter. May be more expensive if you want starfire(white) glass.
If done properly you will not see any crack never. If you damage it, it would just crack but rather go into a million pieces for safety - its supposed to be toughened glass.

It is stronger and more heat proof then regular glass.
Hi Jim,
From my research, glass splash back is far better ...in terms of maintenance (due to no grouts)n appearance.
Our builder quoted ard $2K for 3msq of Ikon splash back, got an external quote from GlassKote for $1600
Hope this helps
Hi Jim,

I would say spend the $$ and go for the glass splashback it is worth the $$ (in my opinion) -

They just looks so slick.

We just had our colour etc appointments and we went for a dark grey / black splashback - it looks wonderful in the showroom and i knew thats what i wanted when i saw it.

My 2 favs are my ceaserstone bench and splashback in kitchen!

We paid $1,656.00 starfire glass for 2.7m
borg
it would just crack but rather go into a million pieces for safety

too right borg, I certainly don't a million pieces of glass on our kitchen bench

OwnHome
due to no grouts

yes agree, dirty grout would look awful
pottsville
They just looks so slick.
pottsville
We paid $1,656.00 starfire glass for 2.7m

I think the good looks and the price you guys are saying, it's well worth it.

Thanks so much guys, I think I am leaning more towards glass and the cost is not astronomical. I'm sure the Mrs will be very pleased
Don't forget to add about $70 per cut-out (eg powerpoints,phone,etc) - BTW we got glass and we love it!
We moved our poweroints to side so glass is just one big clean sheet... then had a look at my friends and realised she had the powerpoints cut into glass ~ doesnt lok that bad but happy we put them to the side.
I was told around $500/m2 for plain glass, about 600+ for starfire, and 800+ for metallic. But that's just me, and Sydney price ... Haven't asked around a lot (yet).
BTW, there are some amazing large format tile splashes on show in the Kitchen thread ... so good that they bring back the "tiles or glass?" dilemma
Hi,
We had 2 splashbacks installed. 1 behind the cooktop & 1 under the window & surrounding the window. We live in a rural area & didn't have many options when it came to choosing suppliers & in fact it was all arranged through our kitchen installer.

We payed $1800 inc GST for the 2 splashbacks which covered 3.12 sqm. This equals $577 per sqm for starfire glass with metallic paint & 2 powerpoints. Well worth it IMO.

It's beautiful, benschke !

Does anyone know how do they charge a thinner strip of glass under the windows, just like in benschke's picture above? I mean do they really just calculate the m2 and apply the normal /m2 price to it?
Or do they "get you" with some excuse and then charge as if the height of the glass is the same as over the cooktop??
benschke,
Thanks for sharing your photo!! That is just amazing and for the price you paid, well worth it!!

jim
Benschke, I think your kitchen is really beautiful...lovely clean lines, it just flows.

I wonder if there is any way the joins in the glass can be made less visible?
Lex, normally its worked out by price/m2. If they say otherwise - dont believe them.
camelia, unfortunately there is not much else to be done about the joins
noworriesdimi
camelia, unfortunately there is not much else to be done about the joins

Apparently the glass under the window sill can be cut to size in one continuous sheet, therefore eliminating the joins. I'm told it costs more to do this but I don't know how much more.
benschke, what is the colour of your glass? Can you also tell me in which state / city you are?
Related
4/03/2024
Does fibre glass pool add to the site cost

General Discussion

Approvals are covered in the cost we are paying to the pool company. The only thing stated in our home build contract for the additional cost is engineering support. …

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Splashbacks
Home
Pros
Forum