Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Splashbacks

What colour splashback will go?

Page 1 of 1
We will be putting in overhead cupboards in after handover
l need everyones suggestion as to what l should have. My ceiling height is 2590mm and l will be having 2 overhead cupboards on the left and 4 overhead cupboards on the side and the rangehood in between this. l was wondering should l get a bulkhead or should l run the cupboards all the way to the top. If l do get a bulkhead should i get it just on top of the cupboards and not cover the rangehood or should l have it cover part of the rangehood and run it across.

l have posted pics

If l do get a bulkhead should cornices in? If so l have to try and find similar cornices.

Also what colour should l get for the overhead cupboards. Our bottom cupboards and island bench is in Licorice Linear though my pantry and fridge wall is in Oyster Linea. Should l go with the darker or lighter laminex. l was thinking of having frosted glass aluminum cupboards as well as one of the laminex overheads. Similar to the pic below.
Though l'm unsure as to which one l should get done since the cupboards are not even on both side

We are going for a glass splash back. Anyone suggest any colour that would suit my colour theme.

l am so confused with all this
janenguyen
We will be putting in overhead cupboards in after handover
l need everyones suggestion as to what l should have. My ceiling height is 2590mm and l will be having 2 overhead cupboards on the left and 4 overhead cupboards on the side and the rangehood in between this. l was wondering should l get a bulkhead or should l run the cupboards all the way to the top. If l do get a bulkhead should i get it just on top of the cupboards and not cover the rangehood or should l have it cover part of the rangehood and run it across.

I would have a bulkhead - especially as you have one one the right side of the kitchen. Some people prefer the bulkhead the whole way across as per the other kitchen pic you posted. I think it looks neat. However, it's not mandatory. If you want to increase the feeling of height you can keep it over the cupbpards on only. This way the rangehood draws the high upwards in a vertical line. Depends on the feeling you want.

janenguyen
If l do get a bulkhead should cornices in? If so l have to try and find similar cornices.

Finding cornices will be easy - but you don't have them on the right side bulkhead. I would have them on both or neither.

janenguyen
Also what colour should l get for the overhead cupboards. Our bottom cupboards and island bench is in Licorice Linear though my pantry and fridge wall is in Oyster Linea. Should l go with the darker or lighter laminex. l was thinking of having frosted glass aluminum cupboards as well as one of the laminex overheads. Though l'm unsure as to which one l should get done since the cupboards are not even on both side

Lighter. With the frosted doors on your kitchen, go for all or none. All glass would give a lighter, airier feel but the room may be airy enough already. Again it depends on the overall feel you're after.I would go all frosted.

janenguyen
We are going for a glass splash back. Anyone suggest any colour that would suit my colour theme.

Just about any colour will suit so go with what you love. I suggest you make a decision on the overhead cupboards first as this will affect the overall look. What colour is the floor and what will be in the rest of the room?
Thanks for your informed response. We are having a very light brown colour tile. So there is alot of different shades of browns and blacks.
Sounds like it will look great. I think the best thing for you to do would be to go & look some colours and see what you feel comfortable with. You could go for a light grey or taupe to be safe. It's such an individual choice, though. Personally, especially as you are going for glass, my feeling is that there is not much textural contrast. Are the floor tiles a flat colour? Gloss? If so there will be less texture, if you know what I mean. With this combo you could inject some colour with the splashback. I would be tempted by wine/burgundy (red-brown) or aubergine/plum (purple-brown) tones. If you want to keep it fresh, a teal blue would also work as long as it's not bright. I think I have seen similar a similar kitchen with a gold-mustard colour splashback too. Not a bright yellow but a deep, muted version. Oh, I assume the walls will be white, BTW. if not you can go more neutral with the splash - even white.
Frosted will look beautiful and I would do them all
We got quoted $900 for the laminate cupboards. four on the right hand side and 2 on the left. If we want the frosted glass then it will be an extra $200 per cupboard. We will be have a bulkhead attached and they have quoted us $200 and $250 for the flyover which is so the bulkhead runs straight across the rangehood. Do you think this is reasonable?

l think we have decided to go for just laminex overhead cupboards. l think xquisite makes a good point about the frosted glass cabinets. It might look not give a textural contrast especially when we are planning to get a very light aqua splashback. The cupboards will just blend in with the splashback.

Is there a reason why everyone would have went with the lighter overhead cupboards? l'm still unsure as to what colour to go for. If l go for the lighter cupboards then it will make the room look a little bigger. Though if l go for the darker cupboards it will match the bottom cupboards and make the other pantry and fridge wall stand out. Ugggghhh What to do??????
I'm no expert on prices but your quote sounds reasonable - EXCEPT for the extra $200 for frosted doors. Sounds like someone has just put that in the too hard basket. Check how much the frosted glass doors at Ikea for an idea. It's a shame too, as I still think the frosted glass doors would be best.
If you have chosen light aqua for the splashback go with the darker colour overheads. I'm not sure it would look as good against the oyster linea. See how you can't make a decision about one thing without it affecting the whiole look?
Yes thats so true. Thats what makes it hard. Umm Maybe we should change the colour of the splashback. The problem is that there is so many choices. It all comes down to mixing and matching and getting the right combo. I was speaking to one of my friends and she said that l should get a glass infused splashback rather then one that is just painted on. l always thought splashbacks were all the same. l though you just choose the colour and they paint it on for you. Does anyone know the pros and cons of both types?
Hi
we have decided to go with oyster linear overhead cupboards. So far we have licorice linea bottom cupboards and island bench. We will be changing our benchtops to snow caesarstone with waterfall edges in 40mm. We have brown/grey porcelain tiles. So I am just trying to see what colour splashbacks would suit this colour theme? My husband likes the light green/aqua splashbacks but l don't know whether there will be too many colours clashing in the kitchen. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want something tha would look really modern.
Hi
i would go the frosted glass for all and finish the top same as the fridge space color. no cornice needed and for the glass splash back i think you need to tie in a different color its all very nutral which is Fantastic cause it means you can anything. Personally i would look at a plum color for splash back.
So do you reckon have the bulkhead as oyster linea and have frosted glass? We have a chute rangehood? Do you thiink this will still look ok?
yep i sure do and as far as either side of the chute put splash back which looks awesome or stainless steel sheet, or paint it the same as wall color but the glass looks awesome i have done that before. the glazier comes after its installed cuts a template out of paper to suit the shape either side of the chute and cutts glass to suit. the trick is to make sure you tell them ASAP so they can keep paint aside (same batch.
Ugh realized new house hood not installed yet...lol they will glaze it before hood goes in. i had to do it the hard way before.
tip for you... i also put tiny downlight type lights under the o/head cubs to show glass off. Just a thought i was into it you might not be.
Do you reckon they should do the bulkhead as a flyover the rangehood in oyster linea or just have it on top of the overhead cupboards and not the rangehood? I love the downlights under the overhead cupboard. Is it just normal downlights or is it led that you have installed? Do you have any pics plz?
They have already installed the rangehood. I'll have to post the pic up.
normal downlights on a dimmer switch. yes fly over makes the hood look built in and i mean the same color as your fridge cupboard so that the bulk head looks the same and blends as you have already gone to the ceiling there. make sure they make a panel around the hood so that when you look up. your not looking at whats behind the bulkhead. Give it a base if you know what i mean.
make sure the downlights are flush mount chrome base looks awesome.
i dont have a pic as i sold that house. i think i might be able to find one just before i finished it though. ill have a look.
that kitchen sold that house with an extra 42g over my asking price ( and a good realestate too lol).
i found a pic and i forgot i had a plum splashback aswell.
i designed this kitchen myself and gave the design to a cabinet maker. tops are ceaser stone double edge. poly finish and notice the bulk heads. any way your kitchen is different but principles are the same. ultra modern is ultra modern.

here is the link have fun

http://cid-25b9f9a54b78316f.photos.live.com/self.aspx/MANHATTEN%2036/slad%20kit.jpg
lol checked to see if link worked. man i miss that kitchen.... am a chef.
lights arent on cause its daylight and gave to much reflection for pic and i wish i put the splash either side of the hood.
you'll see what i mean
Related
8/06/2023
Paint colour help please

General Discussion

Thankyou so much 😀 I've decided on White on white for doors and trims, White on white 50% on ceiling and Mt buller for walls. Fingers crossed it will look OK 😀

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Splashbacks
Home
Pros
Forum