Join Login
Building ForumLaundry Appliances

Need a clothes dryer

Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

I am in need of a new dryer.

I need something that is wall mounted, 5-6kgs capacity and can be front vented...

Anyone got a good recommendation
I just put this one on laybuy http://www.simpson.com.au/product/display/model/39S600M

So I don't have it yet but I hope it's an ok one! My mum has a 5kg Simpson dryer and it's been great for years.

ETA: I like how is has the turn-knob thing to set the time rather than buttons. I don't know why but it seems to me that dryers should have that thing hehe
Hi Matt

Spose it depends on how much you wish to pay. We bought the Bosch Washing Machine as I love front loaders and last year decided to get the matching dryer. We went with the one that doesnt cause condensation and it really works. Has a condensor. No fogging up and wet windows and its very intuitive. Does a beautiful dry as well.

You might expect to pay 3-6 hundred dollars for an average one, we got a $400 discount from Good Guys so paid $1200 for my zooped up German engineering model. As I say, it depends on your budget.

I used to have a simpson and then a hoover, they were good, pretty much a much for those.
Matt, we have the Miele...and I no longer iron.....the best appliance I have. I have had it for 6 years now and it is perfect. Internal condensation so your walls don't sweat and you can run of the grey water if you laundrey is set up that way.
I've had a F&P for years. It's really good and reliable. It'll be going in the garage at the new house and we'll be getting a condenser dryer as we're having the laundry set up for everything to go under the bench. Not sure which brand we'll go with though.

But if you've got a spare 3 or 4k (for the stainless steel).... why not pick up one of these?

http://www.asko.com.au/our_products/drying_cabinet/
I have seen this model:

http://www.whirlpool.com.au/app.cnt/whr/au_AU/pageid/pgproducts001/catid/3/subcatid/12

Not wall mounted but looks good!

What is this condensation all about??
Another vote for the Miele, but ours is a condenser - like Jo, underbench, but coukd be mounted overhead.
normal dryers heat up the room they are in, id liken it to what your bathroom is like after having a shower, there's a lot of moisture in the air, if you have one of those internal condensation jobs someone mentioned the room wouldnt get all wet, and possibly damage your paint etc over time.

dont know how big an issue this is, i havent had a drier for years but with 3 kids DW is starting to talk about it, so glad you started this thread
billdsl
normal dryers heat up the room they are in, id liken it to what your bathroom is like after having a shower, there's a lot of moisture in the air, if you have one of those internal condensation jobs someone mentioned the room wouldnt get all wet, and possibly damage your paint etc over time.

Exactly true and it really depends on how big your laundry is, do you already have a vent or an exaust fan in the area or as some poeple do they store it in the garage and don't worry about all that stuff....
Its a great consideration no matter what the brand.
We have a condenser dryer too (an LG) and it does do a fantastic job, plus no mouldy walls.
And the bonus is, you get to recycle the water onto your pot plants instead of it turning into steam and going poof!

Ours stacks on top of our front loader, so no need for wall mounting. They're extremely heavy, so I don't know if wall mounting is even possible.

The down side is that they're VERY expensive to run. If you rely on your dryer heavily in winter, the electricity bill could get really ugly. I try to mostly use the outdoor line and our clothes airers indoors, and only use the dryer for things I need in a hurry, or when the wet washing really piles up.
kek
We have a condenser dryer too (an LG) and it does do a fantastic job, plus no mouldy walls.
And the bonus is, you get to recycle the water onto your pot plants instead of it turning into steam and going poof!

Ours stacks on top of our front loader, so no need for wall mounting. They're extremely heavy, so I don't know if wall mounting is even possible.

The down side is that they're VERY expensive to run. If you rely on your dryer heavily in winter, the electricity bill could get really ugly. I try to mostly use the outdoor line and our clothes airers indoors, and only use the dryer for things I need in a hurry, or when the wet washing really piles up.

What model is the LG? I was looking at one today (TDC700E).
hi matt, I thought I'd mention what we have. Don't see why I wouldn't recommend it. It's a F&P, the electronic (I think 4kg) one, the best thing is it is auto sensor dry. So when I put it on, I can walk away and not worry about it, no timers, it turns itself off when it is dry.

I would never buy one without a sensor again, no overdrying or underdrying. yayay

Annie
ozberg

What model is the LG? I was looking at one today (TDC700E).

That's the one we have.
The sensor-dry thingie is sensational. I'm running it today, since it's raining and I have multiple loads of washing to do.
If you have the space, the garage is a good place to put the non condenser type ones
On a slightly different path, i was wondering what the mat's are called that can go in between your dryer and front loader? Where abouts would i get one from?

Tks
We got an electrolux 6kg model last weekend, with a good discount by The Good Guys to lower the Harvey Norman sale price, works very well, quiet. Only thing is like any other driers like this you need to vent the room to stop moisture buildup.
bs84
On a slightly different path, i was wondering what the mat's are called that can go in between your dryer and front loader? Where abouts would i get one from?

Tks

They are called just that....mats that go in between your dryer and front loader
that's what I asked for anyway and I got it from Clarke Rubber, don't know if you have one of these outlets.
we have a f&p one its great it about 5kg one as said before it has a sensor and anti wrinle feature as well
check out the Prodct Review website (google it)
We have just ordered the Westinghouse LD505EB 5kg with extra warrany to 5yrs. Had a couple of good reviews.
We wont be using it for another 2 months or so though.
We have a F&P with autosensor - its good - it dries the clothes, its front vented (although we do have a venting kit as an extra precaution).

If you get a dryer you can put upside down or right side up - that is the buttons go on the bottom if you wall mount or you turn it up the otherway and change the face plate so the buttons go on the top if it sits on the ground - don't turn it without giving the inside a good vacuum first. I did this a few years ago with our simpson one (which was only just out of warranty) and I completely stuffed it.
Related
4/06/2023
Bathroom reno - do i need a bathtub

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hello It is good to have a planned bathroom reno to suit your budget and design, living for 10 years I think you need a bathtub

5/06/2023
OB in SA: Do you need a permit? recommendations

Owner Builder Forum

Looking to start the journey of becoming an owner builder in SA. Feeling pretty (overly) confident on the building and construction details, but really struggling to find…

8/06/2023
Does my deck need handrails?

General Discussion

I've just built 3 stairs off a landing out the back and been told by the private certifier I need hand rails sorry tried to attach a pic but couldn't mine don't have sides…

You are here
Building ForumLaundry Appliances
Home
Pros
Forum