Join Login
Building ForumLaundry

Raised front loader

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

We are about nearly ready to do selections for the laundry. We just bought a new washing machine (out front loader died) and have a front loader for the first time. Both dh and I are quite tall and have found it a long way down to put in the washing and take it out again. Is it worth raising the front loader? We have heaps of room in the laundry, so can be flexible with design. The plan at the moment is to have overhead cupboards over the washer and dryer with a handing rail.

I have mine sitting on a metal cabinet that was bought about a month after I bought my front loader. I found the bending down to look inside for the lost sock a nuisance, and have not regretted raising the washing machine. The big drawer is just fantastic - you can never have too much storage! The dryer sits on top and is easily accessed at eye level too. It would mean you would lose bench space in your current plan.

I notice you have a window next to the tub - does your door have a glass inset? If so, you might find that it would provide enough light into the room, and you could put your wm/dryer against the outside wall (where the tub is now) so a pipe can be fitted to vent the dryer directly outside. Set the tub in the bench and continue along the whole wall. Put the broom cupboard on your opposite wall.

Sorry! I've just rearranged your entire layout! Just my thoughts....good luck with the decisions.
thanks for the thoughts
The door is a plain wooden door which is why we have the little window but might talk to builder about putting a window in the door instead.
But sounds overall that raising the washing machine can work
We are planning on something like this for the empty side of the laundry to help with sorting laundry, plus space for the kitty litter and cat food etc.
Our laundry with raised dryer and washer. Best thing ever not having to bend down to get washing in and out!!! I don’t have heaps of benchtop but it’s more than enough as I don’t like folding clothes in there, I do it on the lounge or using our “desert” kitchen island.

Just to raise an old post: I have been speaking to my builder about raised front loader and dryer in our cabinetry designs.
I think this is an excellent idea, but the builder has advised against it. they say there will be too many vibrations that affect all the adjoining cabinetry.

Anyone has any experience on cons of a raised washing machines?
mboy
Just to raise an old post: I have been speaking to my builder about raised front loader and dryer in our cabinetry designs.
I think this is an excellent idea, but the builder has advised against it. they say there will be too many vibrations that affect all the adjoining cabinetry.

Anyone has any experience on cons of a raised washing machines?
The only con that I experienced was when I do drum clean and put heaps of detergent, water or soap can overflow to the cabinetry below. But I learned to put only a little amount of detergent (during normal cycle I don’t have this issue as the washing machine has i-dos function) and also make sure I wipe the water quickly. But that is nothing compared to how easy it is to take clothes out of the washing machine and dryer without having to bend. No issue with vibrations affecting adjoining cabinetry. I think it’s oh-so-worth-it!

Related
25/05/2023
Front Gate handle keeps coming off

General Discussion

Get some long brass machine screws and bolt right through the gate and put brass acorn nuts and washers on the other side. It will never come off

14/06/2023
Gooseneck tap in front of kitchen window

Kitchen Corner

that will depend on the kitchen bench depth. you'll have to specify it so it allows for both the tap and the sink

You are here
Building ForumLaundry
Home
Pros
Forum