Join Login
Building ForumLaundry

laundry chute

Page 1 of 1
We intend to install a laundry chute when we build the house. Where does one buy them in S.A. It will be straight down, no curves.
JD macdonald supply purpose made chutes

http://www.jdmacdonald.com.au/chutes-an ... ors/chutes

Or you could go to a civil engineering supplier and get a length of 450mm dia plastic pipe. You will probably have to buy 6.00m so there will be some left over.
Can you have it built into the cabinets? It looks much nicer and is much easier to do during the building stage. You will want to make sure no floor joists, wires, pipes or ducts are in the way of where you want the chute to be.
Flatlined
Can you have it built into the cabinets? It looks much nicer and is much easier to do during the building stage. You will want to make sure no floor joists, wires, pipes or ducts are in the way of where you want the chute to be.

Yes, I thought a good idea would be to have, as part of the built-in cabinets a bottom hinged door, with the chute behind. As we are still to build the "mezzanine" house, I can design the ground floor laundry, around the chute....how lucky am I!
eagle1
When I was in Singapore, a friend has their laundry clothes direct from their room cabinets to the next room---their laundry. They also have their garbage direct to the ground floor bins. Really efficient. And less bulk looking to have more bins at home.

The garbage bin idea is brilliant....thanks
I read a post somewhere where they made the chute fall into an overhead cabinet in the laundry - saved the cost of boxing out the chute - and keeps bench space free.
gullygirl36
I read a post somewhere where they made the chute fall into an overhead cabinet in the laundry - saved the cost of boxing out the chute - and keeps bench space free.

Keep that in mind. Thanks
Hi,
I'm bumping this up , because I'm hoping that somebody who has a laundry chute can show me a pic of what theirs looks like at the laundry end.

We have one drawn on our plan, mostly because I had 2 nasty falls carrying washing down stairs at a previous house (its hard to see where you are placing your feet on the stairs, with large sheets etc in your arms) but I cant visualise how it will look, or how we can disguise it in the cabinetry of the laundry.

Many thanks.
[quote="nicenurse"]Hi,
I'm bumping this up , because I'm hoping that somebody who has a laundry chute can show me a pic of what theirs looks like at the laundry end.[quote]

Hi,
I don't have the finished project yet. My idea is to have (as part of the floor to ceiling cupboards in
my large pantry) a bottom hinged "door" that has the chute attached below, and goes straight down into
the floor to ceiling cupboards in my downs stairs laundry. All the cupboards have the same front. So it's
just a matter of opening a door and inside is a removable laundry basket on wheels. Therefore you'd
never tell that there is a chute inside. Hope this helps.
Thanks for that idea,
I dont really want the washing to drop into a hamper thats visible, so in a full length cupboard makes sense, and would hide the chute too.
Another thing to talk to the builder about!
Like this...

Just put a basket in the chute cupboard on the 900mm high shelf.
( These images show glass doors but that's just so you can see inside the cabinetry ).

Stewie
I build then out of white melamine. The same material as the internals of your vanity or kitchen.

I built one a few years ago that traveled over 10meters, had two 90degree turns and two fans to blow the clothes along!
Jiminy CEK, how much did that cost ?
Why didn't they just design the house better. We designed ours so the hall cupboard where the clothes go in on the second floor is nearly directly over the laundry.

Stewie
Related
7/07/2023
blocked drain in laundry

General Discussion

Agreed. I just found out today the certifier has not given the final sign off.

24/07/2023
Bathroom/Laundry Combo

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hey all, Hoping for some inspiration for my bathroom laundry combo. The tiles are in good condition, as is the bathtub. I’ve given it a coat of white paint and added…

10/09/2023
Laundry door placement v split level stairs

Windows & Doors

Move your linen into laundry and access laundry from your present linen space

You are here
Building ForumLaundry
Home
Pros
Forum