Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Appliances

Gas or electric stove top and oven

Page 1 of 1
Hey just wandering what people think gas or electric and our house is 2 storey 5 bedroom would you put a 90cm or a 60cm in
Induction cooktop and electric pyrolytic oven. Whether 600 or 900mm depends on how much you cook and how much you care about energy consumption.
What about for resale is it a big thing
joycey05
What about for resale is it a big thing

If you are building an investment property to flip, then buy something cheap, but that you can label European and is made of stainless steel or black glass.
Oh ok we can only choose from Bosch or artusi never heard of artusi oh and we are building with dc living should we only be paying the difference of the upgrade from the standard price if you know what I mean
Appliances are completely up to you.

You can build a house without them and install the once you like later.

It is very stupid of a builder to limit your choice here. Ask them not to install anything and install later the ones you like.

I would go for the gas cooktop instead of electrical any other day. Gas is much better for controlled cooking, eg chefs in restaurants are NOT using electric cooktops to cook and there are some strong reasons why they prefer gas.

But oven can be electrical.

Also, strongly consider buying steamer oven, some brands such as Neff are also offering combined ovens with steamers.
alexp79
Gas is much better for controlled cooking, eg chefs in restaurants are NOT using electric cooktops to cook and there are some strong reasons why they prefer gas.

LOL. You've obviously never used induction alexp79. Don’t get me wrong, gas still has its place, and we installed a gas wok hob too, but I will never go back to gas for general cooking.

https://www.goodfood.com.au/good-living/gas-v-induction-cooktops-what-is-your-pick-20170428-gvv914

https://www.treehugger.com/kitchen-design/professional-chefs-are-dumping-gas-induction-ranges.html

https://www.houzz.com.au/ideabooks/40975262/list/induction-or-gas-cooking-lets-compare-the-two
arcadelt
alexp79
Gas is much better for controlled cooking, eg chefs in restaurants are NOT using electric cooktops to cook and there are some strong reasons why they prefer gas.

LOL. You've obviously never used induction alexp79. Don’t get me wrong, gas still has its place, and we installed a gas wok hob too, but I will never go back to gas for general cooking.

https://www.goodfood.com.au/good-living/gas-v-induction-cooktops-what-is-your-pick-20170428-gvv914

https://www.treehugger.com/kitchen-design/professional-chefs-are-dumping-gas-induction-ranges.html

https://www.houzz.com.au/ideabooks/40975262/list/induction-or-gas-cooking-lets-compare-the-two

I actually read through all 3 links. I can see why commercial kitchens would use them, ease of cleaning being number 1. Cooking 100’s of meals each week the cleanup with gas cooktops would add a significant cost factor whereas the induction would wipe down in a fraction of the time and straight after every spill if required.

I don’t put much credence in a chef promoting one over the other as they have vested interests and probably kick backs.

Still really up to the individual to go out to demos and decide for themselves rather than make a decision based on something they’ve read online.
gillybean
Still really up to the individual to go out to demos and decide for themselves rather than make a decision based on something they’ve read online.

Absolutely, but personal recommendations carry weight too. When we were building, all our friends were recommending induction from their personal experience. I'm just doing the same.
Okay, induction pots are made from special material and come with a flat bottom.

Certain meals can not be properly cooked on dishes with the flat bottom or require dishes made from certain materials such as cast iron. Traditional woks for example are one of them.

Many gas cooktops come with heat resistant ceramic surfaces, so are quite easy to clean.

True fire is always are true fire. But may be this is me getting a bit too aesthetical. Most people won't even really care.
alexp79
Okay, induction pots are made from special material and come with a flat bottom.

As long as pots and pans contain ferrous material, they are fine, and some others work too.

Quote:
The most obvious options include stainless steel, cast iron, and carbon steel. However, there are a few surprises when considering what pots and pans work well with induction cooktops – there are some nonstick aluminum and copper examples that will play nicely with induction

Credit: foodal.com

You are correct though, that they work best if the bottoms are flat. Our old cookware would have worked, but we upgraded because after 15 year of cooking on gas, the bottom of our frypans had sagged somewhat.
I have gas, and agree, the cleaning is a PITA. I loathe my gas stove and am looking for an induction freestanding (Ilve have one).
Thank you guys that helped alot
alexp79

Certain meals can not be properly cooked on dishes with the flat bottom or require dishes made from certain materials such as cast iron. Traditional woks for example are one of them.

There are 'adaptors' (not sure what the proper term is) available that enable the use of curved woks (and similar items) on induction cooktops. And cast iron is probably the BEST material for induction cookware - the ideal ferromagnetic material.
I have a VZug induction wok ‘burner’ and love it. I’m never going back to gas
AKB
I have a VZug induction wok ‘burner’ and love it. I’m never going back to gas

Excuse the mess it was teenage boys turn to clean the kitchen
Related
25/06/2023
Seeking Advice on Installing an Electric Gate with Intercom

Building A New House

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here, and I'm looking for some advice regarding my house construction project in North Kellyville. I…

5/01/2024
Electric gate for s Street front villa

General Discussion

Hi all. I'm thinking of installing an electric gate in front of this street front villa (link below). The gate would be between the bush on the left and the letter box on…

27/04/2024
Best electric hot water system in 2024?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

The tank is around 200 litres (I am on holiday for the next 6 weeks so can't check) The Heat Pump has a built in time switch. No idea on the speed to heat because with…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Appliances
Home
Pros
Forum