Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Appliances

Bosch Or Smeg Oven/Cooktop

Page 1 of 1
I can buy a Bosch Oven and Cooktop for the same price as a Smeg. They have the same features. Any coments on which way I should go.
Hi -I have bosch everything. Except oven.

They are reliable with fantastic motors.

Not to say Smeg is bad. But I will be bosch for life.
not sure what models of ovens you are after, below is an interesting article from choice review
http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and-te ... $1900.aspx
I would buy the Bosch. Never had a Smeg but they have an awful reputation and from what I have seen are not remotely built to the standards of Bosch.
The 2010 Choice brand reliability survey gives the following results for ovens:

Percentage with no problems in past 12 months:
Bosh: 91% (410 responses) - top of survey, with Miele
Smeg: 76% (657 responses) - bottom of survey, below 18 other brands

The CHoice Pyrolytic oven test from Sept 2010 gives the following results:

Smeg SAP 109M8: overall 84% / oven 85% / grill 98% / ease of use 73%
Bosch HBA73B550A: overall 81% / oven 84% / grill 88% / ease of use 74%

As far as cooktops go, I've been told by several salespeople that a cooktop is a basic appliance so there's not much between brands, more down to layout, position of knobs.

Also worth a look is [url]productreview.com.au[/url]
Pippi
As far as cooktops go, I've been told by several salespeople that a cooktop is a basic appliance so there's not much between brands, more down to layout, position of knobs.

Also worth a look is [url]productreview.com.au[/url]

I generally agree with that although some very high end cooktops will provide a much hotter hob (the Highland is one that I think is reknowned for this). Also if you want induction it is generally more on the expensive side at the moment. But generally I think a cooktop is an appliance you can save money on by steering away from the expensive brands as it is a pretty simple and almost failsafe mechanism.
Thanks everyone for your comments. I've decided to go with the Bosch
I haven't cooked with a Bosch but have Smeg oven, then everything else Miele, i am very happy with my Smeg oven, its well built in terms of construction quality, however it was tricky to disassemble for cleaning, having said that it stayed quite clean for 6 years with those catalytic cleaning plates so i can't really complain.

I have cooked with quite a few different oven brands and i have to say i like the way the Smeg cooks the best, will be getting another Smeg in new house.

Our oven is 6 years old and when we were buying Smeg had a very good reputation and it was basically where Miele were so ridiculously over priced for the same thing you went Smeg, but things may have changed since then...

Having said all of that i do love the way German's build things...so Bosch mostly good
James65
Our oven is 6 years old and when we were buying Smeg had a very good reputation and it was basically where Miele were so ridiculously over priced for the same thing you went Smeg, but things may have changed since then...

James I think this is right. 10 years ago Smeg was very well regarded, often houses were advertised with Smeg appliances. Sometime between then and now things have changed. Many forums on the subject now deride the brand and post stay away warnings. I suspect what has happened is they have chased the developers market and in order to compete have moved into low cost, low technology production. My mother in law has a new Smeg oven (90cm) that came with her house and I have never seen a tinnier, rattlier appliance - heat is extremely inconsistent.

If you do get a new oven, I would compare the Smegs to other brands available in case you find the standards have changed.
I'm going against the grain here. Iguess it's down to personal experience and needs but I love smeg. Having said that I'm going Bosch dishwasher as I haven't found a better product in the market.

I've had Smeg cooktop, oven and rangehood in our previous house, I can't fault any of the products we purchased. I'm having them again in our new kitchen I was that happy with them.
Melrich
. My mother in law has a new Smeg oven (90cm) that came with her house and I have never seen a tinnier, rattlier appliance - heat is extremely inconsistent.

Sad to hear, i really do like my Smeg oven, i haven't actually looked at appliances in the flesh yet for our new house...but come to think of it i don't recall seeing Smeg ovens in any display homes lately, just the big slab of Miele appliances...(who really needs 2 different types of ovens?)
Have/had a full Smeg kitchen; never to be repeated, with the oven and canopy hood the only appliances left; the rest died under 7 yo, and after our Reno, there will be no more Smeg. The oven is uneven heat-wise, and the canopy doesn't draw well. The cooktop and dishwater burnt out.
We've got a Bosch oven and love it. It's the pyrolytic one and I would gladly buy it again. Don't have a Bosch cooktop though..yet
Related
25/03/2024
900MM Cooktop over a 600MM built in oven

Building A New House

My daughter and son in law are about to start building, they are having a 600mm induction cook top and 900mm oven. It's personal preferance >

31/01/2024
Bosch dishwasher

General Discussion

I am installing a new Bosch SMU4HTS01A built under dushwasher. I have 2 questions. What is the function of the metal strip about 500mm long x 60mm wide the tell you to…

30/12/2023
Identification of Oven Make and Model

Kitchen Appliances

Hi Chippy, no there isn't, gave it a really good look through and literally opened everything and checked all edges as well. Hence the question, just hoping someone would…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Appliances
Home
Pros
Forum