Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Appliances

Size of dishwashers and ovens - universal?

Page 1 of 1
Hi folks
Just wondering - are the sizes of dishwashers generally universal? We have a new kitchen that has been built to fit a certain dishwasher, but we might want to replace the dishwasher and just wondering if they are fairly stock standard size and most will fit back nicely in the same gap?

Same with ovens - we have a wide free-standing oven (not sure of measurements off hand) and the bench has been built to fit around it. We are having trouble with getting the oven to work and might look at replacing it if we are able to swap - but again, just wondering if sizes are generally standard? (I know you can get various width ovens, but are they generally universal within each size - if ya know what I mean?)

Thanks, Ceebs
Dishwashers, standard AFAIK. Ovens and stoves are much trickier. Freestanding, you can probably get something the same size.

In all cases, you should check and triple check the measurements of the new before buying though!
Thanks Trinia - I thought as much - ie, that dishwashers are prob standard, ovens maybe not as much (Am hoping not to have to replace the oven, but just wanted to ask at the same time - was more interested in DW at this point).
And thanks for the tip re check/double check/triple checking before buying - if it comes down to it, will do.

And just to satisfy my curiosity, what does AFAIK mean?

Ceebs
All dishwashers are equal but some are more equal than others...(sorry George)

I have had a spate of installations with Miele dishwashers - standard size for a dishwasher is 600mm, standard cavity allowed is 605mm some Miele machines need 610mm...go figure; really is best to check all specs regardless.

If you are sliding a machine, oven or dishwasher, into a cavity be sure to allow an extra 5mm for "fitting".

Cheers,

Earl
I had a live-in dishwasher, replaced it with a built-in.
Hi! Can I put next fridge oven and microway? Between them just thin pannel.
Ceebs
Hi folks
Just wondering - are the sizes of dishwashers generally universal? We have a new kitchen that has been built to fit a certain dishwasher, but we might want to replace the dishwasher and just wondering if they are fairly stock standard size and most will fit back nicely in the same gap?

Same with ovens - we have a wide free-standing oven (not sure of measurements off hand) and the bench has been built to fit around it. We are having trouble with getting the oven to work and might look at replacing it if we are able to swap - but again, just wondering if sizes are generally standard? (I know you can get various width ovens, but are they generally universal within each size - if ya know what I mean?)

Thanks, Ceebs

Not quite
Dishwashers also vary in size thought not very popular they exists and I just ordered a Bosch slimline 45cm in for my kitchen thought I would not have many dishes to wash anyway even so dishwashers also vary in height. Ovens are mostly standard 60cm width and depth but height is a different matter.
A cabinet maker will adjust the margins to accommodate for any appliance.
AFAIK = As Far As I Know. Netspeak, sorry.
Trinia
Dishwashers, standard AFAIK. Ovens and stoves are much trickier. Freestanding, you can probably get something the same size.

Nope dishwashers can and do vary by quite a lot in depth in particular. When I was looking for new one recently they ranged from about 570mm through to 640mm. I needed one of the smaller units to fit the depth of my cupboards.
AJW
Trinia

Nope dishwashers can and do vary by quite a lot in depth in particular. When I was looking for new one recently they ranged from about 570mm through to 640mm. I needed one of the smaller units to fit the depth of my cupboards.

I agree here. We got caught out on this one when we replaced the dishwasher in our last home.
fairy blue
I agree here. We got caught out on this one when we replaced the dishwasher in our last home.

The other to watch closely is the depth measurements can be quoted in different terms by different makers. For example some will quote the actual depth of the appliance where as others will quote depth as the size of the "hole" needed to put in their appliance. If a maker quotes depth of appliance you also need to factor in some extra for the pipes at the back.
Thanks very much for all the info folks - something to be aware of if/when we replace items.
Thanks again.

Ceebs
Generally, the differences are very minimal, but if I was re-designing a kitchen I would make sure that I made adequate space for the dishwasher that I wanted. You would hate to have to select a different dishwasher based off bad measurements.
Related
7/05/2023
Facade column size (350 or 470mm) , Rendering or Stone or Ti

Building A New House

Dear Members I have to decide the Facade column size. My custom builder standard is 350mm with rendering, but i asked for 470mm plus stone or tiles and yet to get…

18/07/2023
Ryobi wet saw C-125A blade size?

General Discussion

All sorted guys. Just needed to buy a blade with the correct bush. Dunno how to delete this post, can't find any help file. Cheers.

20/07/2023
Double door frame size

General Discussion

Current door width is approx 2700, looking to have double doors fitted 820-820. What size does the frame need to be before door jamb? Thanks

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Appliances
Home
Pros
Forum