Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Appliances

Canopy Rangehood over glass splashback

Page 1 of 1
Hi All.

We have a half-height glass splashback in the kitchen with a curved canopy rangehood. I wanted the top of the glass to meet the top of the curve of the rangehood (see picture below, hopefully...). I specifically requested this during the pre-start process, and it was drawn into the final plans and specified as part of the variations.

The splashback went in a while ago, but the rangehood has only just gone in, but they've installed it above the glass. They are telling us that the curved glass on the rangehood is flush with the back of the rangehood, so it can't come out the 8mm or so of the splashback glass and still have the flue flush with the wall.

The supervisor says nothing can be done, and DH is telling me to suck it up, princess. But, not only does it look odd, the curved bit of wall now between the splashback and the canopy is just going to get dirty and horrible. DH thinks it will be alright - but he won't be the one having to clean it!

So - can it be done?? Is the builder just spinning a yarn that it's not possible because they can't be bothered re-doing it?

I know it could be done easy if the splashback was full height, and if they'd told us when the plans were being drawn up it was going to be a problem, we would've either gone full height or picked a different rangehood.

How it's supposed to be:

How it is:
It does make sense what they are saying, I don't see how it can go any lower. Some curved exhausts have an extra bit with the controls underneath that goes across like this one, and so hides that gap a bit. I think you may have to live with it

Yep I am thinking the same as SuH.

I am just looking at ours - and we have a straight canopy rangehood - there is no way the glass could go a little way behind the rangehood without something being compromised. It would either have to go all the way to the ceiling behind the range or the way we have it with the glass butting up against the straight edge of the rangehood.

But the only other way you could do it would be to have three separate sheets of glass with the centre one being the width of the range and cut in an exact replica of the curve to butt up against the rangehood - but that sounds very very $$$$$$$
I also think what they're saying makes sense but they should have told you in advance and given you the opportunity to choose what to do about it, maybe a full height splashback or a different rangehood, or to have the glass curved up under the rangehood or a couple of quads along the sides of the flue to cover the gap or something. They should have said this is the problem and these are some possible solutions, these are the costs, what would you prefer? It's really not good enough just leaving that silly looking gap underneath which I imagine will indeed be a nuisance to clean.
It's just been suggested to me that the flue should be adjustable to cater for exactly that sort of circumstance. Maybe check the installation instructions?
I'm now facing this same situation.

The rangehood install instructions show no sign of it being adjustable to suit the offset mounting requirement.

I'm thinking, the tiles are going to be fixed to a cement sheet and will add maybe 8-10mm depth to the wall. How about fitting a plaster sheet or something similar above the tiled area so that it is all kept level - then just mount the rangehood as normal.

Can anyone suggest why this may not work? Seems to me like a simple enough solution, fingers crossed...
I think your builder is right. I'd just leave it as is. The section of wall underneath the glass curve doesn't get that dirty. Ours is the same in our rental. I just wipe it with Windex to remove any grease. That part of the wall looks no different to the other walls after 7 years or so.
Herbus - all rangehoods with shrouds (that I have seen) are designed to fit on a flat surface. I install quite a lot of rangehoods in alfresco areas and as a general rule of thumb you want your splashback to go either full height or finish at the underside of your rangehood. It would look a little weird with the splashback finishing halfway through the rangehood. If you want to bring the wall above the tiles flush, you might be better to get a plasterer to set the wall flush rather than fix a plaster sheet, will give you a much better finish and will be hardier. Your only other viable option would be to get a custom shroud made to suit once rangehood is installed.

Some pics...

http://www.rangehoodducting.com.au/rangehood-types.htm

http://photobucket.com/images/rangehood/
Thanks for the extra info Freakin. I didn't think it would be too bad having the tiles/splashback finish part-way up the flue - I'm sure I've seen this done,.. but I'll think on it a bit more.

Good idea on the plasterer. The complicating thing for us is that we won't have a bulkhead, so there is no natural break for any splashback or plaster to finish at.

If we get the splashback run to the top of the wall cabinets, there's only 290mm above that to the ceiling I need to worry about - raising the plaster just under the flue there would be a small area to worry about and is high enough to not draw attention.

You watch, one day we'll look at the kitchen and decide to fit bulkhead, and all this effort will be for nothing
Hi Herbus. If it makes any difference for you, I was freaking out about this problem when the rangehood was first installed, but now we're in the house it doesn't bother me and we really don't notice it. I will get a different shaped rangehood if our current one breaks, but for the time being, it's no longer the big deal I was being a princess about.
Hey sunflower. I have just had the same problem with fitting my curvered glass rangehood. I fixed the prob by neatly spacing the rangehood away from the wall a little.it looks much better if the glass splash back is at the top of the curve. I can send you p picture if it will help. Cheers. Tyson1246
Related
You are here
Building ForumKitchen Appliances
Home
Pros
Forum