Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Appliances

Oven - Gas or Electric?

Page 1 of 1
I'm not a baker, and use my convection microwave when I need an oven, so the oven choice for our new kitchen will be more for resale down the track. Our builder has suggested a cooker with gas burners and electric oven.

Which type of oven is more attractive for those who do bake? Gas or electric?

Kylie
kb46
I'm not a baker, and use my convection microwave when I need an oven, so the oven choice for our new kitchen will be more for resale down the track. Our builder has suggested a cooker with gas burners and electric oven.

Which type of oven is more attractive for those who do bake? Gas or electric?

Kylie

current kitchen - and I love it - cooker with gas burners and electric wall oven
Electric all the way! <-- For the oven I mean. Gas cooktop. You will find this is the most common/popular.
I dont really mind if my oven is electric or gas but I much prefer gas cooktops, much easier to regulate the temp than with electric and to go instantly from boiling to simmering.

We have the combination of gas cooktop, electric oven - this was standard with our builder and I think it is very commonly done this way.
Yes, for us gas cooktop and electric oven came as standard, I like it that way as well because:
Gas cooktop means you can cook dinner even if the electricity goes out
Gas cooktop makes it easier to regulate the temp and more "energy efficient" compared to electric.
Oven, I don't think it matters, but with gas I think it would potentially have more maintenance issues (block the jets while cleaning?) and from what I've heard gas tends to dry food out compared to using an electric oven. And considering an oven is something you're likely to have on for at least an hour, having to warm it to temp isn't such a big issue (compared to your cooktop if it was electric).
So really apart from the power going out halfway while you're doing the roast, I don't see any reason why not to go with electric oven.
I always cooked gas and that is what we choose for the cooker. We left the oven electric as it came as a standard. I only upgraded it to a slow cooker. This will be the first time that I am going to use a electric oven. Hopefully it is going to work out.
I used to be gas oven all the way as it maintains the temperature better than electric until we got an electric one put in our old house. I think these days electric ovens are quite good. I do cake decorating and find the electric oven really good. I would always go gas cooktop.
Gas cooktop and electric oven. Apparently this is the way most people go, for economic reasons...apparently. I did too and I am very happy with it. I have a friend who has a gas oven, she is just about
can't cook a thing without burning it, poor luv
The gas cooktop is outstanding compared to electric IMO
Ditto here. Gas cooktop and electric oven. We have had this combination for the past 28 years and the new kitchen will be the same. We did investigate a combination gas (4 burners) and electric induction (one zone) cooktop but the price was stupid and it would have meant upgrading our electrical board. For a cooktop gas is much easier to use in terms of control and much more economical. I do not know much about gas ovens but I have always had a fear of them - it doesn't help that my OH's grandfather killed himself with one
The electric oven allows you to have functions like having only top heat or bottom heat etc. In the gas oven, I don't think you can do that. But please double check that....I am only going by what are the knobs on the oven.

That said I think it depends on what you use the oven for...if used for baking cakes, pastries electric would be my choice...but if you do mainly roasts, maybe the gas oven will work better?

Another thing to consider is that in case of a power failure, you can still cook using the gas oven.......Just my 2 cents worth
Thanks for your input everyone - sounds like the gas cooktop/electric oven is the most popular - shall go with that!
Or just to really confuse you you could get one of the new Glem ovens which is dual fuel - both gas and electric. You switch between the two depending on what you are cooking.

Oh I love new gadgets
Related
25/06/2023
Seeking Advice on Installing an Electric Gate with Intercom

Building A New House

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here, and I'm looking for some advice regarding my house construction project in North Kellyville. I…

5/01/2024
Electric gate for s Street front villa

General Discussion

Hi all. I'm thinking of installing an electric gate in front of this street front villa (link below). The gate would be between the bush on the left and the letter box on…

29/04/2024
Best electric hot water system in 2024?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

For our new build in NSW we opted for a heat pump with a 315L storage tank. Early days yet as we only moved in 6 weeks ago. Haven't run out out of hot water though. Ours…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Appliances
Home
Pros
Forum