Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Help me choose my lounge suite pleeeease!!

Page 2 of 3

What's going on? I'm p*ssing my pants!

Sharee you crack me up!
I dunno, maybe I'm having one of my bimbo moments because I have no idea!!
Hey I swear when I replied to gweluphome's post it just said Sharee and nothing after it! thats why I said yes!
gweluphome
Sharee I would definately run the 3 seat paralell with your tv wall and if you can like Paula said that room is better for a chaise running along the window side. If you put a 2 seater in it would also be better on this side but would take up space walking though that sliding door. If you run any sofa along the other side it will close in the room and you will the have to look at the back of people sitting there.

Yep the two seater where I suggested will close of off the room... but the two seater under the window means you wouldn't be able to see the telly... if Sheree is having a chaise lounge in the other family room that means nowhere to watch telly when there's a few people over... footy, cricket, etc, etc.

It's not only a matter of how the furniture looks, but how the furniture works.... I can't see the point of having a couch in a position where you can't see the TV in a TV room no matter how good it looks...
Sorry about before my stupid computer just saying your name and everything else was gone. I saw it come up and had to rewrite everyhting. It was hard enough trying to make sense the first time

Thats hilarious.......
Not even sure if I have made sense this time?
Sharee
Hey I swear when I replied to gweluphome's post it just said Sharee and nothing after it! thats why I said yes!

It did, it definitely just said Sharee... I'm still laughing!
gweluphome
Sharee I would definately run the 3 seat paralell with your tv wall and if you can like Paula said that room is better for a chaise running along the window side. If you put a 2 seater in it would also be better on this side but would take up space walking though that sliding door. If you run any sofa along the other side it will close in the room and you will the have to look at the back of people sitting there.
If you can the other option is a 3 or 2 seat paralell with a single either side but this will make you room quite wide.
Really your best bet is a u shape or a left hand chaise sofa.
I am not sure where you are geting your sofas from but I know Freedom do a in home service for $150 for an hour or so and if you buy your furniture off them they take that back off the price of your furniture. Even if you don't end up buying from them they do all the measurements and give you the best options.

Thanks, I might check into Freedom (although I'm a bit of a cheapskate so they might be a bit expensive for me!)
The two singles might be an option as well??!
I think where you place your furniture is also about how it makes the room feel. You are right you can put your furniture wherever is best for your viewing but you want to feel like it looks right also.
My guests have to sit on beanbags and ottomans to see everything when they come for footy etc.
But then you are just pointing out Joles that different things are more important to some people more than others. Which is a good thing otherwise all our living rooms would have the same sofas in the positions

Sharee another option is get the dimensions of you different pieces make up out of cardboard or newspaper and layout in your area where you want those pieces to go. You get a good feel for where everything is going to fit and how much room you have left over.
Sorry again for the confusion before
I'm actually really interested in what you are saying because we see this really differently.... Are you saying that the room looking good is more important than the room being functional.

If it comes down to a choice between the two.. you'd pick how it loooks?

I'm the complete opposite, houses, spaces, surely it is about useability and functionality and liveability.... I'm astounded that where a couch looks the best would be the primary consideration in a TV room...

When you are talking about your guests sitting on beanbags to see everything is that because they can't see from the furniture...?

I just couldn't live like that.. it wouldn't feel like a home...

Please don't think I'm not trying to be insulting... I'm actually really interested to know how people prioritise when picking furnishings. I'm functionality to the point where I'll sacrifice aesthetics so we're polar opposites!
No probs Joles, for me when we have designed our homes we have in mind where our furniture is going to be placed. That means considering usability and aesthetics(sp). Not just function, but the way it looks and how it is used. I find both are important.
My guests are definately not sitting on beanbags because of where our fruniture is placed
its because we don't have enough seats in the TV room and I didn't add another sofa although we could have fitted it because it would have looked cramped and not suited the space. Thats whereI am coming from, in the feel of a room.
Not sure if that makes sense but thatswhat I was trying to explain.
Sorry for hijacking your thread Sharee.
Sharee is a hijacker from way back.....

Yep, polar opposites.
I would have added the extra sofa!

I guess just another variable in the house mix.
Lucky we don't ever have to live together imagine trying to fit the house out.
It is an interesting discussion, it is a balancing act, I wouldn't be happy with an unusable space but neither with an area I didn't like the look of BUT on that topic pleeease check out this idea, do you thing this will work? The the middle square thing will be a funky ottoman (do you think square is the go or maybe I should get a rectangle?) , the couches would be a distance from the tv, but we have a pretty big telly so should be ok? what do you guys think?
http://v3.planningwiz.com/plankey_8e296 ... 3bf3ec4616
Sharee

Just kidding

I like the rectangle as it can actually be added to you sofa to create a chaise or you can get a hard placemat or table runner and put it on your ottoman so you can use it as a coffee table and it feels more balanced to me. I would run it the width of the largest piece of furniture.
I also like the rectangle because more than 1 person can use it comfortably.

Thanks, that makes alot of sense! I was so excited about buying furniture, but I'm terrified I'm going to stuff it all up!
Sorry Sharee, I think that looks odd.

I still think the chaise will fit the room better.

Jo - You say a chaise is usless unless you can see the telly, think about being able to stretch out on it to watch the telly.

If your having enough visitors over to have to use the chaise, my guess is your having drinks and conversation not watching the telly.( unless its the footy
)
I had a play with this the other day….tried to save my selection so I could show you…but it saved a blank page
, great program!

I had a chaise and an arm chair in the corner.
Paula
Sorry Sharee, I think that looks odd.

I still think the chaise will fit the room better.

Jo - You say a chaise is usless unless you can see the telly, think about being able to stretch out on it to watch the telly.

If your having enough visitors over to have to use the chaise, my guess is your having drinks and conversation not watching the telly.( unless its the footy
)

No it wasn't the chaise I was saying was useless... PK was suggesting putting the two seater under the window facing out towards the rest of the house... this I was saying would be useless for watching TV.. not the chaise...

I couldn't, and still can't, see the point of having an entire couch in a TV room that you can't see the TV from just because it looks good..

But love the chaise!

i need to learn to read the whole post
Thanks for the feedback, I still have no idea what I'm going to do! DH says he doesn't want a chaise in the family room because sometimes he just wants to be on a totally different couch to me
How rude!
Related
9/07/2023
Multipurpose lounge with balcony

Building A New House

First time building 2 storey home in NSW. Below Current plan have separate balcony. But thinking to do a multipurpose lounge with balcony (kind of sunroom) in first floor…

18/08/2023
Tv Fireplace placement in large lounge room

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, My first post, we are building a house and can’t decide the layout of the lounge room. We have a large N/W facing window and are wanting to have a wood slow…

18/05/2023
Help with insurance claim

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi there, long-time lurker but first time posting. I've bought a house 2 and a bit years ago and last year we had some major water damage on a converted pergola area…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum