Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

architraves and skirting

Page 1 of 1
We choose Australian Colonial architraves and skirtings (67 x 18 mm) during our colour selection and now I am regreting and wondering whether they suit our home as we are building a contemporary/modern home. Cornices are standard "Cove" and I am happy with this selection.

I would like to hear what other member's selections are and any other suggestions/ideas.

Ebby
We're planning on contemporary inside, and I think we're having the same skirts, but in the 90mm. We're having the Jazz cornice to the ground floor, and standard cove upstairs. I think your choices should be fine. We could only choose btw 2 styles, I think. If I'd had my choice of any, I would have had totally plain high ones.....or a skirting version of the Jazz!!!
I don’t think that’s a problem.
I would like to see more people make a show of their skirts and Arks.
braveheart
We choose Australian Colonial architraves and skirtings (67 x 18 mm) during our colour selection and now I am regreting and wondering whether they suit our home as we are building a contemporary/modern home. Cornices are standard "Cove" and I am happy with this selection.

I would like to hear what other member's selections are and any other suggestions/ideas.

Ebby

Hi Ebby, we are having same as you Aust. Colonial 67mm and standard Cornice. We didn't actually know that we got a choice - we had four to choose from and I let my DH pick as I really didn't have a preference. I think he chose Colonial because it was higher and maybe something about dust......can't remember I was nearly in tears by this stage of the game
Thanks all for your ideas and encouragement.

At the time of our colour selection I did not know much about different types of architraves and skirtings, we just went with what the colour consultant suggested. I wonder how the australian colonial look like around the doors and windows??? Now that I know I think I prefer the plain and bigger skirtings (90 mm+) but it is too late to make changes.

We are having the skirting loosely tucked on because we are doing all the floors after handover- I am toying with the idea of changing them after handover but I wonder how much they cost and whether it is worth the cost.

Ebby
If your painting them MDF is the go - its cheap and gives a great paint finish.

I have 140mm NSW Colonial skirtings painted white, with 66x19mm meranti (lacquered) NSW Colonial architraves. The front and rear doors are bigger with 90mmx19mm architraves.
Thanks Dukekamaya

What is MDF? Can they be used with 67 x 18 mm colonial architraves? Where do you buy them and how much are they?

Excuse my ignorance but can 140 mm colonial skirting be used with 67 x 88 mm colonial architraves.

Ebby

If you are buying a kit home your skirting and architrave will almost certainly be made from MDF ( as well as your door jambs etc)

You can use any size skirting / architrave you like whether they are the same or different size it doesn't matter its all a personal choice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard
Hi

We are thinking of using the Jazz cornice (I wanted the shadowset, but I think the husband wants Jazz). Can anyone recommend a suitable skirting for the Jazz? it's such a busy pattern. Also, our roof in that room is quite low: would Jazz be too busy?

FYI, it's a loungeroom. Floors will be hardwood.

Any suggestions would be SO MUCH appreciated as I'm clueless on this.
belbird....you would be better starting your own thread with your question.
That way it's your thread only.
Related
28/10/2023
Architraves and skirtings

General Discussion

I already have the doors and architraves installed as pictured. My question is which size n type of skirting would go with the architraves? I originally wanted a winder,…

24/08/2023
Architraves

Owner Builder Forum

I do like the CA glue and activator idea but like you said, working time in non existent. I use the sika PU glue but it needs to be clamped firm. I had a joint move…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum