Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Dining Room Styling

Page 1 of 1
Help! I am very confused as to how to style this room!

As you can see, for a dining room it is quite large and I am having trouble deciding what to do with the empty wall on the side. I've searched high & low for a buffet or console that is long enough for this wall but have had no luck.

As for the back wall, I am thinking that the TV is too small - may need to go slightly larger or remove it altogether.

I welcome any ideas, suggestions etc. I don't want to clutter the area but I also don't want it looking empty.

Look forward to hearing some great suggestions!

http://imageshack.com/a/img910/3244/vMM9MT.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img907/4470/WW1qeC.jpg
Try adding your images to Photobucket or something similar. I cant open the attached images to view.

It's a Dining Room. Why do you want a TV at all in here?
I would be looking more for a nice lamp and maybe a shorter Buffet with a nice picture for the wall.
Roomeat
Try adding your images to Photobucket or something similar. I cant open the attached images to view.

It's a Dining Room. Why do you want a TV at all in here?
I would be looking more for a nice lamp and maybe a shorter Buffet with a nice picture for the wall.

Thanks for your suggestion! That's what I'm thinking too...just a matter of finding the right pieces!

The TV bracket was on the wall when I moved in - hence why I am considering maybe removing it altogether. It's not going to be a formal dining room as such. The room is open plan with the kitchen area so it's more of a relaxed dining area with the potential to split this area and add some lounge type seating (although I don't want to do this as I feel it will be too cluttered).

Cheers
Do you have a separate Family / TV Room?
Leave the TV for there and use a picture / print to cover the old bracket
Roomeat
Do you have a separate Family / TV Room?
Leave the TV for there and use a picture / print to cover the old bracket

Yep, I already have the lounge room complete BUT I do need a tv for the upstairs retreat/rumpus area so I think that is where this TV should go

I agree with you though - no need for a TV in the dining area (my mum said the same thing when she saw it haha)

I am now on the hunt for some nice abstract canvas prints!

Thank you
Check out http://www.lightinthebox.com/c/wall-art_904
I'd look at wallpapering that blank wall with a gorgeous mural or print of some sort. Plenty of room for creativity! What sort of light fitting have you got there? A statement pendant would look great too.

Wow, so many amazing prints! Thank you so much for your help
trixee
I'd look at wallpapering that blank wall with a gorgeous mural or print of some sort. Plenty of room for creativity! What sort of light fitting have you got there? A statement pendant would look great too.

Great idea! I am yet to purchase light fittings but will definitely be opting for some statement pendants!
Thank you
We still going with this?

Is that a vinyl floor plank?

Hi Michelle, yes still open for suggestions!

Yes, vinyl floor planks.
Michelle
We still going with this?

Is that a vinyl floor plank?

Help! I am very confused as to how to style this room!

As you can see, for a dining room it is quite large and I am having trouble deciding what to do with the empty wall on the side. I've searched high & low for a buffet or console that is long enough for this wall but have had no luck.

As for the back wall, I am thinking that the TV is too small - may need to go slightly larger or remove it altogether.

I welcome any ideas, suggestions etc. I don't want to clutter the area but I also don't want it looking empty.

Look forward to hearing some great suggestions!
You will never find a console long enough for the right hand side wall! Work with it.
Look for a white one, even a lime washed one. You need colour in this room, a large print over the console is needed in lots of colour! Get the console you like....put it in and I will help you add to the room

NO TV in this space!! This is the dining room, it is a space where the family members come together to converse each day with NO distractions from this small amount of quality time with each other!
Michelle
You will never find a console long enough for the right hand side wall! Work with it.
Look for a white one, even a lime washed one. You need colour in this room, a large print over the console is needed in lots of colour! Get the console you like....put it in and I will help you add to the room

NO TV in this space!! This is the dining room, it is a space where the family members come together to converse each day with NO distractions from this small amount of quality time with each other!

Thanks Michelle! All very good points... I definitely agree that the room needs a pop of colour. What are your thoughts on using orange as the colour feature for this room incorporated with a gloss black or gloss white buffet display & definitely some canvas prints for the walls? I think it is the colour of the floor that is making this task harder!
I love the floor lol. I would go with something in a lime or soap wash as Michelle mentioned for the buffet. Add the colour in via the wall art
bianco_d
Michelle

Thanks Michelle! All very good points... I definitely agree that the room needs a pop of colour. What are your thoughts on using orange as the colour feature for this room incorporated with a gloss black or gloss white buffet display & definitely some canvas prints for the walls? I think it is the colour of the floor that is making this task harder!

Yay, orange will work well!!! The grey flooring is a neutral back drop for you.
When buying a large print to hang over the console or sideboard, make sure it has orange in it.
At the moment the room is very cold, by adding the orange you are now introducing a warm colour to balance the room out.

Just did this quickly for you....

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu98/bellao4/moodbiano.jpg
Michelle
bianco_d
Michelle

Yay, orange will work well!!! The grey flooring is a neutral back drop for you.
When buying a large print to hang over the console or sideboard, make sure it has orange in it.
At the moment the room is very cold, by adding the orange you are now introducing a warm colour to balance the room out.

Just did this quickly for you....

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu98/bellao4/moodbiano.jpg

Wow! You are so amazing! Thank you so much for putting that together for me Michelle - I love it & will use this as a guide when I go shopping this weekend! Absolutely LOVE the clock idea!
You are very welcome!
Have fun shopping, its the best part of renovating or styling.
Related
15/11/2023
Kitchen living Dining

General Discussion

Can anyone suggest a house layout where the kitchen-dining - living runs the length across the rear of the house left to right where our best view will be we…

26/04/2024
Looking for designs which have a void in the living/dining

Building A New House

Hello all, bought a block of land and would like to find designs now. We want a void over the living/dining room. We’re looking at Savoy 32 from Eden Brae, are there any…

27/07/2023
Adding a toilet/wash room to small house

General Discussion

Hey, I am wanting to add a second toilet to my house, bit we have limited room. There is a hallway/entry that is never used, so was thinking this could be an option. Only…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum