Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Country style in a modern house

Page 1 of 1
hi there
I have moved back to the country and am trying (unsuccessfully) to redecorate my new home country style. My main roadblock is the house was built in 2000 and while it's quite bland and almost a blank canvas, I am struggling to give it that country feel.

All magazines, websites and other resources show quaint little wooden cottages or rambling stone homes with huge verandahs, all beautifully decorated. I have a rectangular cream brick house with off white tiles
How can I obtain that cottagey feel without spending thousands gutting every room and re covering the floors - although at the moment I'm looking at carpeting the bedrooms as the tiles are freezing during winter and rugs just don't warm the place at all. I've painted the kitchen white with black bench tops until new ones can be installed. Unfortunately the rest of the house is beige, beige and more beige with beige bath and beige bathroom tiles. I'm slowly repainting in a soft coffee colour and have tried to pick bedroom furnishings in soft greens to colour it up a bit. So far, my attempts to go country have just ended in the place looking like a early 2000 house cluttered with junk! I need help!

Thank you
Can you possibly provide some photos of what your home looks like, and maybe some inspiration pics of what you're hoping to achieve?

A blank canvas is a great start...and paint (even the exterior bricks) can work magic!
Related
5/02/2024
Provincial style hone external colours

Building A New House

The Dulux colour consultants are awesome. If you show them the photos they should be able to figure it out for you straight away

2/05/2023
Preventing rust around steel house posts

General Discussion

You’re on the right track, wire brush in a grinder then a zinc rich epoxy primer then a top coat of some sort, like a waterproofing membrane. Raising the concrete would…

19/05/2023
Excessive piers for a house???

Building A New House

How good is Simeon?! Always taking time to help others out! Wish we were building in NSW and could work together. Thanks for all that you do!

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum