Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Painting DIY

Page 1 of 1
So after a few quotes of around $5000 we've decided to paint it ourselves and would like a little bit of help with what sealer to get and how many litres etc. it's 235 square metres inside and we want to do 2 top Coates of dulux paint but have read on here people using enamel sealer that was tinted.
Any help or hints much appreciated.

Google paint coverage, I'm sure I've seen resources on line. But I think when you use enamel sealer you can't use water based paint over the top... only oil based.
dulux sealer binder first (oil base)
dulux primer if you want
2 cotes final colour
Just to revive my previous post, I've been told you can use water based paint over the sealer. Also someone suggested to add the tint of the finished paint to the sealer and then you only need 2 coats instead of three altogether. Has anyone tried this?
I've been led to believe that water based paint is fine over the top of an oil based sealer binder.
Not sure about adding a tint to it but I hope you're right...the less coats, the better!
Dont tint sealer binder, its designed to be very thin so that it penetrates and binds (binder) your white set plaster. This will not happen if any solids are added.
Tinting undercoats is only good for plasterboard houses (over east) or when painting over a very dark wall with a light colour where the acrylic sealer undercoat (higher opacity) is tinted which allows coverage with 2 coats.
Oh, bittersweet, rebuilder86, thanks for the info anyway.
$5k? I'd get it done. I don't think you realise how much work is involved. I assume you also need to do doors and skirts?

I was quoted 5K for half that sqm recently...
Related
9/08/2023
Kitchen Renovation: DIY vs Resurfacing vs New Kaboodle

General Discussion

Assuming the structure of your cabinetry is good then I would DIY everything as follows: - replace your counter tops entirely, - replace all drawer runners with soft close…

4/10/2023
DIY External facade stone cladding

General Discussion

Re my second point – yes exactly. And often it may take additional time if the manufacturer recommends no more than X meters…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum