Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Help please! What is the best furniture arrangement?

Page 2 of 2
Thanks. It's rendered using an animation package called Blender 3D. I've used it to model up the house we've been designing, so it wasn't too hard to reconfigure it to your plan. I think it makes the spacing a bit more real than what you see on a plan.

If the fireplace stays, then I think the only real option is the 2nd render picture, though it does have the table quite close to the fireplace, and likely too hot to have people sitting there with it on. No other approach really seems to fit though.

That table is a bit smaller than the one I drew, but that sofa will actually take up more room than what I drew in the 2nd render above (more like the one with post), so the passage between the table and sofa, and between table and fireplace would be a bit tighter than drawn. For this configuration, the critical dimension is from the fireplace to the window, which is 6270. So you could divide that up as:

That's not really too bad. You could set up your table at home 1000 or 1100 from a wall or sofa, and see how you feel about that sort of spacing.
Goodness I had a quick look much too complicated for my little brain
MalSannie
Wonderful work, oneJohn - I'd also love to know which software you used to achieve that it looks great! I'm still wondering mwccl whether you could swing the fireplace around? It would give much more space (in my little mind anyway maybe John can show us?) - it could be a feature wall with a mirror or artwork from the doorway too. Just a thought

Unfortunately, I am at a stage where I can't move the fireplace
oneJohn
Thanks. It's rendered using an animation package called Blender 3D. I've used it to model up the house we've been designing, so it wasn't too hard to reconfigure it to your plan. I think it makes the spacing a bit more real than what you see on a plan.

If the fireplace stays, then I think the only real option is the 2nd render picture, though it does have the table quite close to the fireplace, and likely too hot to have people sitting there with it on. No other approach really seems to fit though.

That table is a bit smaller than the one I drew, but that sofa will actually take up more room than what I drew in the 2nd render above (more like the one with post), so the passage between the table and sofa, and between table and fireplace would be a bit tighter than drawn. For this configuration, the critical dimension is from the fireplace to the window, which is 6270. So you could divide that up as:

• 170 wall to sofa
  • 2900 sofa
  • 1100 sofa to table
  • 1100 table
  • 1000 table to fireplace

That's not really too bad. You could set up your table at home 1000 or 1100 from a wall or sofa, and see how you feel about that sort of spacing.

That looks like a complex software. I was wondering if the other 2 layouts below would be any better? Can you help me visualize it with that software? The coffee table is 1.4m x 0.7m, the TV unit is 0.45m x 2.4m, the sofa is 2.5 x 3m and the 8 seater dining table is 1.1 x 2.1m. For the layouts below, I was thinking I could push the sofa against the wall between the laundry door and the sliding door? We probably won't be using that sliding door much at all. So, we can get some space in the middle by sacrificing this sliding door? Also, if we place the table as below, we might not be blocking the heater as much and the people might be seated further?

Is it possible for me to get those "saved files" from you? I would like to play around with that software and see if I can move things around easily instead of troubling you.

Thank you!
mwccl
MalSannie
Wonderful work, oneJohn - I'd also love to know which software you used to achieve that it looks great! I'm still wondering mwccl whether you could swing the fireplace around? It would give much more space (in my little mind anyway maybe John can show us?) - it could be a feature wall with a mirror or artwork from the doorway too. Just a thought

Unfortunately, I am at a stage where I can't move the fireplace
/quote]

Sorry I misunderstood earlier! Good luck! I'd also love to play with the software but i'm afraid I don't have a clue where to start with it nevermind doing complex things hehe
mwccl
oneJohn

• 170 wall to sofa
  • 2900 sofa
  • 1100 sofa to table
  • 1100 table
  • 1000 table to fireplace

That looks like a complex software. I was wondering if the other 2 layouts below would be any better? Can you help me visualize it with that software? The coffee table is 1.4m x 0.7m, the TV unit is 0.45m x 2.4m, the sofa is 2.5 x 3m and the 8 seater dining table is 1.1 x 2.1m. For the layouts below, I was thinking I could push the sofa against the wall between the laundry door and the sliding door? We probably won't be using that sliding door much at all. So, we can get some space in the middle by sacrificing this sliding door? Also, if we place the table as below, we might not be blocking the heater as much and the people might be seated further?

Is it possible for me to get those "saved files" from you? I would like to play around with that software and see if I can move things around easily instead of troubling you.

Thank you!

With your first photo the couch along the wall. Could you wall mount the tv above the fire then everyone wouldnt have to turn and strain their necks to watch tv.
livpal5
With your first photo the couch along the wall. Could you wall mount the tv above the fire then everyone wouldnt have to turn and strain their necks to watch tv.

We have read that it is not too safe to mount a tv right above the fireplace due to heat etc. Also, we are afraid that the TV might be too high once mounted. The fireplace is 900mm from the slab. Do you have any idea what would be a safe height for the tv?
MalSannie
Sorry I misunderstood earlier! Good luck! I'd also love to play with the software but i'm afraid I don't have a clue where to start with it nevermind doing complex things hehe

No worries! You were only trying to help
I adjusted the layout to turn the table around. With a 2.1m long table, it does all fit it. I drew the sofa to 3.0m wide, although I think the Harvey Norman one linked was only 2.8m. If you were to get one a bit narrower than 3m it would help out, and give room to walk between the table and fireplace. Also try to make sure that sliding door or window opens on the side that isn't obscured by the sofa.

The table is drawn 1100 off the wall, which isn't too bad. You can get past ok when people are sitting, and it's fairly spacious with the chairs pushed in. It's about 250mm off the fireplace on the other side. A slightly narrower table would help, as would one with curved sides, so the ends aren't as wide.

---------------

---------------

---------------

---------------
mwccl
livpal5

We have read that it is not too safe to mount a tv right above the fireplace due to heat etc. Also, we are afraid that the TV might be too high once mounted. The fireplace is 900mm from the slab. Do you have any idea what would be a safe height for the tv?

Ok didn't realise your fire was so high. I know you can wall mount them above fire places but does have to be a certain distance and with the height of ur fireplace, ur right it would far too high.
oneJohn
I adjusted the layout to turn the table around. With a 2.1m long table, it does all fit it. I drew the sofa to 3.0m wide, although I think the Harvey Norman one linked was only 2.8m. If you were to get one a bit narrower than 3m it would help out, and give room to walk between the table and fireplace. Also try to make sure that sliding door or window opens on the side that isn't obscured by the sofa.

The table is drawn 1100 off the wall, which isn't too bad. You can get past ok when people are sitting, and it's fairly spacious with the chairs pushed in. It's about 250mm off the fireplace on the other side. A slightly narrower table would help, as would one with curved sides, so the ends aren't as wide.

I noticed there is some space in between the sofas, around the 90 degree corner. Can I assume that you have included that space into the calculations as per the image below? Cheers!

Quote:
I noticed there is some space in between the sofas, around the 90 degree corner.

Yes, your assumption is right: the sofa you are looking at would fill up that corner. It was just easier for me to move those sofas, rather than changing shapes. The TV unit shown there is also longer than yours, but its sizing shouldn't be too critical.
Great work John! How's your house going?
Thanks. Our demolition is done, and the builder should be starting fairly soon. So hopefully everything's about to happen!
oneJohn
Yes, your assumption is right: the sofa you are looking at would fill up that corner. It was just easier for me to move those sofas, rather than changing shapes. The TV unit shown there is also longer than yours, but its sizing shouldn't be too critical.

Thanks for the clarification, oneJohn. Really do appreciate your help! Is it possible for me to get the saved files from you? I would like to get a 360 degree view on it. Let me know if that's alright and I will pm you my email address.
I've sent a PM about how to get the .blend file.
How does this look? From ipad application.

Related
2/05/2023
Best Option for Estimate

General Discussion

Hi, I'd like some advice on the best option please on the estimate options we've been provided from our builder. This is for the…

16/05/2023
Best carpet deals in perth

Flooring & Floor Covering

Have you tried Parry's or Carpet Court?

24/09/2023
Best way to attach perspex to an aluminium fence

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Using a rivet sounds like a good idea thanks

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros