Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

White or chrome downlights????

Page 3 of 3
DeeElle
lol ... 50 downlights are only a problem if you have them all on at the same time
. I like mood lighting myself.

Like the display homes do!
Some of them have over 100 on at anyone time.

IMO lighting is so underestimated with what it can achieve in giving your house character, especially at night.

Low voltage downlights come in such a variety of colours these days including black, and the white aren't always white, some have a fair amount of black mixed in.

Have a look through some of the builders web sites at their display homes, Porter Davis have an excellent site, many of them mix both white & chrome downlights in the same room (you can see them in the photos). I bet many people don't even notice when casually going through the houses.
we looked in one of Ms display over the weekend and saw square alum shade of downlight. light itself was round but it had afaceplate square in shape. I like the look, wife was not that impressed though . . .

mind you in our current house I had about 40 odd white downlights fitted, looks ok but I prefer the dull alum look, kind of modern looking. Maybe not overyl practical if fashion changes but then if that is the case all our contemporary kitchens with the heavy empathis on stainless steel and mochas, chcoolate colours will be out of vouge anyway.

But I'm just a bloke what do I know?
kiwi056
Porter Davis have an excellent site, many of them mix both white & chrome downlights in the same room (you can see them in the photos). I bet many people don't even notice when casually going through the houses.

In the PD display homes - the chrome downlight represents where you will get a "standard" battern point. The white downlights are all extras.
Thanks guys for all your replies.

Even though I originally told the electrician white, we have now changed to chrome

When I got our ceiling fans out to look - (I had purchased these months ago) our fans in the lounge & family where brushed aluminium & we decided the chrome would tie in well with these.

We had a couple of white ones in our ceiling though & I thought they looked fine with our off white ceiling, so I'm sure we would have been happy whatever way we went!!

They should be in next week!!

Surely I have no more decisions to make now............except splashback
Oh the dreaded splashback! It took me months to decide!

I hope you have better luck
Found myself looking at everyones ceilings...got caught today and was asked

"can you see a spider?? Where where?"

To which I replied

"no not a spider, was admiring you lights"

To which I got a look that said - OK the woman likes lights...

Quite funny had to be there
Quote:
Oh the dreaded splashback! It took me months to decide!

You've still got time to change your mind though Bel!

My splashback will need it's own thread in the next couple of weeks. Want to wait till all my kitchen is in then post a photo! I have my lower cupboards and benchtop in, but now my cabinetmaker has gone to work on someone else's house

Quote:
To which I got a look that said - OK the woman likes lights...

I was going to go with chrome downlights the few places I'm having them, but after reading this thread I'm going with white.
I'm guilty of being a bit of a mindless sheep going along with fashion (as the chrome is in the displays) until I stopped to think about it.
We are having other types of light fittings and as Michelle pointed out, I want them to be able to be enjoyed without the downlights detracting from them. Thanks Jo K for getting me thinking about this otherwise I would have said "That'll do."

Jo
How are everone's white downlights going? How yellow exactly are they?
Mine are good bbb. 2.5 years old and no yellowing yet (just checked them!)
Do decent brand Downlights yellow not as bad as the cheap ones?
We just installed brushed chrome 70mm in our ceiling and they look amazing! Although we don't have an excessive amount of them. We have an open plan room of kitchen, living, dining and entry together so have 4 in living, 2 in kitchen, 2 in dining and one above stairs plus a 4ft capiz shell chandalier. Once we finish the kitchen design we will look at some pendants above the kitchen island. We've gone brushed chrome throughout the house with all our door handles, light fittings, light switches etc which plays nicely will our wall colour of Dulux blind date, trims of Dulux whisper white and Wattyl geisha white on ceilings. I can imagine if you have way more downlights then the brushed chrome might look a little busy.
Related
21/12/2023
Which chrome tapwares in Myhomeware northrocks Sydney

Bathrooms and Laundry

Which chrome tapwares is a good affordable brand with a good warranty in Myhomeware shop Sydney. I visited the shop and they…

8/07/2023
Variation in white tile colour

Renovation + Home Improvement

Looking for advice on whether this variation in tile colour is acceptable. The large tile on the left was used in my main bathroom renovation 1 year ago. My ensuite…

26/08/2023
Dover white or surfmist garage door

General Discussion

Dover white or surfmist garage door. I am having trouble choosing a garage door. The outside of house will be tranquel retreat. I want it to all blend nicely however I…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum