Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Internal Tile Selection

Page 1 of 1
We are building the Phoenix with Metricon and in need of help with our tile selection.

To give some context our external selections are:
* Brick - Austral Bowral Dry Press Gertrudis Brown (http://www.bowralbricks.com.au/product/ ... udis-brown)
* Roof - Bristile Roofing - Classic in Coal
* Windows/Gutters/Fascia/Garage Door - Woodland Grey
* Front door/cedar lining on balcony and portico - stained with Cabots Charcoal or Chestnut

We're going all face brick. So the outside is predominantly dark browns and greys.

There are so many internal tile options. For example, stone look, concrete look, plain colours etc. We'd like to stick to a neutral colour scheme of greys/breige and natural white, and something that won't date as quickly and is neutral enough to change the furnishings to change the look if required. It has too look clean, open and expensive (or high end hopefully).

We saw this off-white (with speckles) honed tile at the Metricon Greenhills Beach display which we liked:
http://www.everstone.com.au/au/product/ ... everquartz

Here is a picture of the display home, in real life it looks more of an off white than cream: http://www.metricon.com.au/metricon/med ... living.jpg

But it is a big contrast to the external colours. If we do go with this tile would it be a mistake to use grey external tiles with it. We have an alfresco area and I know the tiles should ideally match. Would you go with grey tile inside? If so, what style do you recommend or what did you do at your place? If you could include links or pictures I'd appreciate it very much!

Edit: The alternative is to use a mid-dark toned timber. Can you recommend brands,suppliers or installers in Sydney?
Any response would be much appreciated! Michelle?
sydfam - just found you, will pop in tonight and have a look for you
Michelle
sydfam - just found you, will pop in tonight and have a look for you

Hi Michelle,

Since writing the post I have started to look at some grey tiles and seem to like the following:

* http://www.dilorenzo.net.au/documents/565.pdf - In Steel or Sage
* http://www.dilorenzo.net.au/documents/341.pdf - In Cool Grey or Warm Grey

I think the grey floor will still look nice with the timber staircase and front door.

As you can see I am constantly changing my mind! If I have a set of rules I need to follow I think I have a better chance of deciding on a tile and the colours in general.

Looking forward to your guidance and feedback! Thank you!

Regards, Anna
Hi Sydfam, your going to have to do better with your links above, its taking me too long to try and find the tile colours, SORRY!
While you work on those, even just a screen shot will do....

Lets get back to your basics on what to work with. You seem to be worrying about the colours you have chosen for your exterior. I need to know what you have chosen for your interior selections, wall colours, kitchen colours...ext. Then I can see if everything complements each other. Not just your floor tiles......then you need to flow to wet areas??

Have a think, get back to me with your internal colours, then I can help you more

By the way, I like the above tiles, and they will go with your bricks.
Michelle
Hi Sydfam, your going to have to do better with your links above, its taking me too long to try and find the tile colours, SORRY!

Lets get back to your basics on what to work with. You seem to be worrying about the colours you have chosen for your exterior. I need to know what you have chosen for your interior selections, wall colours, kitchen colours...ext. Then I can see if everything complements each other. Not just your floor tiles......then you need to flow to wet areas??

Have a think, get back to me with your internal colours, then I can help you more

If I go with the white tiles I would like to use the following colour scheme:
* Walls - Dulux Natural White. Might use Dulux Grey Pebble Half and a mid-dark grey paint (any ideas would be appreciated) as features.
* Kitchen cabinets - Dulux Natural White poly with Laminex Smoky Sapelle on the front of island. I'll use Smoky Sapelle in the butler's pantry too.
* Kitchen benchtop - Caesarstone Snow. If we can afford it Calcutta Nuvo.
* Carpet - Mid-Dark Grey.
* Bathroom floors - warm grey tile with white walls. If the budget allows I will add a feature wall using small hexagon (or rectangle) mosaic tiles.
* Bathroom vanities/laundry - smoky sapelle or white poly - Osprey benchtops

Here is a home with the colour scheme I had in mind: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-vic-caulfield+north-116287311

If we go with the grey tiles, the internal colours would be:
* Walls - White (Not sure what to use- maybe Lexicon quarter)
* Kitchen cabinets - white poly - same as the wall colour
* Kitchen benchtop - Caesarstone Frosty Carrina or Calcutta Nuvo.
* Carpet - Hycraft Carribean in San Juan.
* Bathroom floors - same as main floor tile with white walls. If the budget allows I will add a feature wall using small hexagon (or rectangle) mosaic tiles. Alternative is to use a tile that looks like marble as a feature wall.
* Bathroom vanities/laundry - not sure what laminate to use (again, happy to hear what Laminex or Formica you think will suit - maybe a grey shade - I like Formica Cinnamon Ash and Laminex Avignon Walnut. Not sure if it will match the timber stains used). If the budget allows white poly - Osprey benchtops

Here are direct links to the grey tiles:
* http://www.floorgres.it/en/industrial/#coloriTab - Steel or Sage
* http://www.casamood.com/en/nera/#coloriTab%2390A1588 - Cool Grey or Warm Grey

We're going to have a timber staircase that is quite prominent in the hallway. It will have a glass balustrade with timber handrail and steps. It will be stained in either Cabots Chestnut or Rich Walnut (maybe lighter?). However, I think it will be nice to match the front door. At the moment I am thinking Cabots Chestnut or Charcoal. I would ideally like an Oak stain colour but I could not find one.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you!
Thanks Michelle!
"****"

OK, I asked for it!!!!

I have to get up really early in the morning, so I can't start on this just yet.
Big day tomorrow, will see how I go for you tomorrow night.....

Does it feel better getting this on paper, so to speak?
Michelle
:lol:
"****"

OK, I asked for it!!!!

I have to get up really early in the morning, so I can't start on this just yet.
Big day tomorrow, will see how I go for you tomorrow night.....

Does it feel better getting this on paper, so to speak?

It was the first time I had actually written it all down and it does help to visualise it all.

Take your time and will keep an eye out for your response. Just so glad you're offering to help!
I haven't forgotten you! .....
Michelle
I haven't forgotten you! .....

Thanks Michelle!
Ok..... I have to say I'm leaning towards the white tile scheme you have
sydfam
Michelle

If I go with the white tiles I would like to use the following colour scheme:
* Walls - Dulux Natural White. Might use Dulux Grey Pebble Half and a mid-dark grey paint (any ideas would be appreciated) as features.
* Kitchen cabinets - Dulux Natural White poly with Laminex Smoky Sapelle on the front of island. I'll use Smoky Sapelle in the butler's pantry too.
* Kitchen benchtop - Caesarstone Snow. If we can afford it Calcutta Nuvo.
* Carpet - Mid-Dark Grey.
* Bathroom floors - warm grey tile with white walls. If the budget allows I will add a feature wall using small hexagon (or rectangle) mosaic tiles.
* Bathroom vanities/laundry - smoky sapelle or white poly - Osprey benchtops

Here is a home with the colour scheme I had in mind: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-vic-caulfield+north-116287311

If we go with the grey tiles, the internal colours would be:
* Walls - White (Not sure what to use- maybe Lexicon quarter)
* Kitchen cabinets - white poly - same as the wall colour
* Kitchen benchtop - Caesarstone Frosty Carrina or Calcutta Nuvo.
* Carpet - Hycraft Carribean in San Juan.
* Bathroom floors - same as main floor tile with white walls. If the budget allows I will add a feature wall using small hexagon (or rectangle) mosaic tiles. Alternative is to use a tile that looks like marble as a feature wall.
* Bathroom vanities/laundry - not sure what laminate to use (again, happy to hear what Laminex or Formica you think will suit - maybe a grey shade - I like Formica Cinnamon Ash and Laminex Avignon Walnut. Not sure if it will match the timber stains used). If the budget allows white poly - Osprey benchtops

Here are direct links to the grey tiles:
* http://www.floorgres.it/en/industrial/#coloriTab - Steel or Sage
* http://www.casamood.com/en/nera/#coloriTab%2390A1588 - Cool Grey or Warm Grey

We're going to have a timber staircase that is quite prominent in the hallway. It will have a glass balustrade with timber handrail and steps. It will be stained in either Cabots Chestnut or Rich Walnut (maybe lighter?). However, I think it will be nice to match the front door. At the moment I am thinking Cabots Chestnut or Charcoal. I would ideally like an Oak stain colour but I could not find one.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you!
Thanks Michelle!

Wow your choices are very similar to ours! For the kitchen we're also going to get M to price for the Calcatta Nuvo or Frosty Carina and if the budget allows we'll ditch the Organic White. Love the sound of your staircase too:)
I'd be a bit wary on your white scheme. It may look very clinical once it's all done. Also consider your light sources. Are you going with cool or warm white lights? Cool white + everything else in white will look very clinical (unless thats the look you are aiming for)
Personally i would match the floor tiles from main floor to bathroom/ensuite to keep it uniform, but thats only my opinion on it.

sydfam
Here is a picture of the display home, in real life it looks more of an off white than cream: http://www.metricon.com.au/metricon/med ... living.jpg

This looks like Alto Beige: http://www.beaumont-tiles.com.au/AllPro ... id=182089H
Very popular tile and comes in (porcelain) polished or honed finishes. When i was considering light colored floor tiles this was on the top of my list.
Also possibly consider Super White: http://www.beaumont-tiles.com.au/AllPro ... id=182147P
It's not a stark white, slightly offwhite.

My builder also advised that they refuse to paint houses in Dulux Lexicon (any strength) because of the blue tinge they throw. 90% of people who ask for it are disappointed when it goes up. Look at Dulux Natural White or Dulux Antique White USA - they are the most popular whites.

So id probably suggest something like this (this is my personal opinion! feel free to disagree with it
)
- Walls: Dulux Grey Pebble Half - Good colour that adds a bit of depth.
- Kitchen: White is fine. Consider Formica Warm White over the other whites offered by Laminex/formica. Warm white matches the stone whites a bit better and looks less clinical (softer on the eyes).
- Benchtop: White is fine if that is what you want, consider getting samples of the stone + laminate to check them out though.
- Carpet: mid-dark grey is fine.
- Bathroom floors: I'd go with the same as your main floor if your bathroom directly connects to the main living area. But if it is sperated by carpet or something than go with whatever you want. Two different tile types/colors that meet together looks odd to me (my opinion).
- Bathroom vanities: Consider what your wall tiles are going to be. If your floor tiles are light color, consider a darker color. I wouldn't use the same tiles as the floor, it looks bland. Otherwise osprey benchtop + smoky sapelle will look alright. White laminate might be a bit too much white.

sydfam
Here is a home with the colour scheme I had in mind: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-t ... -116287311

That looks like an offwhite/beige tile. Color accuracy in those photos is terrible (as per usual, probably photoshopped). See my tile ideas above.

Finally your best to just visit the tile stores and take a look. Colors online are not really true to real world. IE: Alto Beige looks darker online than it is in person.

Good luck.
whzzz28
My builder also advised that they refuse to paint houses in Dulux Lexicon (any strength) because of the blue tinge they throw. 90% of people who ask for it are disappointed when it goes up. Look at Dulux Natural White or Dulux Antique White USA - they are the most popular whites.

So id probably suggest something like this (this is my personal opinion! feel free to disagree with it )
- Walls: Dulux Grey Pebble Half - Good colour that adds a bit of depth.
- Kitchen: White is fine. Consider Formica Warm White over the other whites offered by Laminex/formica. Warm white matches the stone whites a bit better and looks less clinical (softer on the eyes).
- Benchtop: White is fine if that is what you want, consider getting samples of the stone + laminate to check them out though.
- Carpet: mid-dark grey is fine.
- Bathroom floors: I'd go with the same as your main floor if your bathroom directly connects to the main living area. But if it is sperated by carpet or something than go with whatever you want. Two different tile types/colors that meet together looks odd to me (my opinion).
- Bathroom vanities: Consider what your wall tiles are going to be. If your floor tiles are light color, consider a darker color. I wouldn't use the same tiles as the floor, it looks bland. Otherwise osprey benchtop + smoky sapelle will look alright. White laminate might be a bit too much white.

@whzzz28 I was leaning towards natural white and agree that lexicon and the like are quite stark. I think I will need to find a visualiser to get the balance right and make sure it all doesn't look too clinical. You're advice definitely makes sense and will keep it mind when selecting our colours. Thank you!
Quote:

Oh no I don't want any blue tinge... I've chosen Lexicon Quarter for the skirting boards, cornices and architraves. I thought it's a good contrast to Sandy Bay (wall colour). Hmmm now you have me worried
Sheilzy
Quote:

Oh no I don't want any blue tinge... I've chosen Lexicon Quarter for the skirting boards, cornices and architraves. I thought it's a good contrast to Sandy Bay (wall colour). Hmmm now you have me worried

If its quarter and only on the skirting boards etc, then you might be fine. Its mainly when you get a large wall.
Quarter isn't too bad, full strength lexicon looks baby blue on a large wall though, not pretty unless that's what you want.
Thanks whzzz28. I got a sample pot just to make sure and I'm happy with the whiteness of the Quarter. Phew!
Related
24/07/2023
Firstyle Tile Selection

General Discussion

Hi Kaiser85, We are building with Firstyle Homes. Our build has just started, slab pour is on Saturday (hopefully!). Their standard range is pretty good. We did our…

26/02/2024
Need help on wall colour selection

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi there, we have classic cream gutters, fascia’s, roller door and undercover carport. We are are going to paint the roof a terracotta orange colour. After some…

20/04/2024
Colour Selection: Comments / Feedback

Building A New House

I am building Enfield 201 by Mimosa Homes - York Facade Link: https://www.mimosahomes.com.au/new-homes/enfield-201/ I did my colour appointment last week. I am looking…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum