Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Opinions please

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone, we're having trouble deciding on whether this would look good. We've building a home with a void over the lounge room as below:

We're pretty much getting exactly the same as the pic except the staircase will have glass ballustrading and no pine lining to the wall.

Now the predicament... we saw this cutout to the lounge/dining wall as below with a central fireplace and shelving on either side in the cut-out in another display hosue:

The view from the dining room:

What we're not sure of, is whether the cutout and fireplace would look good with the void option. Looks great with the ceiling but not sure with the void.

What does everyone else think? Leave the void as is or go with both???
Hmmm i'm thinking you have a solid plaster pylon sort of effect for the fireplace flue but it continues up from the bottom storey to the top storey as s feature?

Am i confusing you? So you'd see a rectangular section of wall that continues up to finish at the ceiling plaster of the top floor?

I think you could make it the big feature in the house IF you plan it correctly, and of course if the builder will do it??
Hey Nicola,

the flue would extend horizontally between the floors to an outside vent so it wouldn't extend onto the second floor. The builder shouldn't have a problem cos its the same house in both pics just with different options.
I'd say go for it, it would still look lovely with the surround like in the picture!!!

But hey that's just just me?
I think the cut out and the void would look fine together, so long as the fire is just for looks, because you will loose a lot of heat straight to the upstairs area otherwise.

I've just done a quick cut and paste mock up and it looks OK with the cut out fireplace section overlaid into the void picture.

Steve
I have another question…..where is all the heat from the fire place going????
Out the cut-outs and up the void! How are you going to keep your home warm?

Love the cutouts, love the void….but on a practical side…….
I think it would look fine too but would loose heat as said above

what a gorgeous house!!!!!!! I absolutely love that style/colours

what is the dark floor plse?
hehe... the fireplace is abit impractical heh?

What would you guys suggest instead of the fireplace as a feature?

Bec, i think the flooring is Wenge laminated floorboards.

Thanks the replies so far.... keep them coming!
I love my fireplace!! I would not get rid of it.

It adds ambience to the room. Keep the fireplace….but remember it won’t do much, it will look great, just have other means of warmth as well.
the fireplace is lovely, keep it if its within your budget!

Id love to see the rest of the house
kitchen?
could you have a two way fireplace?
Not keen on a two-way fireplace cos the dining won't show it off enough. Too small a room. The dining table and chairs will block the view.

It's a PD brookvale. You can check out the display pics on their website

www.porterdavis.com.au

I like the fireplace too... we do have central ducted heating
thanks!

Quote:
I like the fireplace too... we do have central ducted heating

Same

I cant see their website *sob* get cant past front page
if you get a chance could you plse post the kitchen? thankyou!!
here u are, Bec

love the paneled kitchen cabinets in that pic. They look fabulous in the dark colour.
Related
25/05/2023
Knockdown build in Heidelberg area - recommendations please

Building A New House

Hi We have finally decided to complete a KDR on our corner plot in NE Melbourne suburbs. Given its a corner plot approx. 400 sqm just a standard design may not fit the…

8/06/2023
Paint colour help please

General Discussion

Thankyou so much 😀 I've decided on White on white for doors and trims, White on white 50% on ceiling and Mt buller for walls. Fingers crossed it will look OK 😀

8/06/2023
Hello to all of you. Any advice please?

Building A New House

A question. Im in Queensland and building a new home. We managed to reach practical completion 6 weeks ago but we haven't heard any date for handover yet. Who should we…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum